Random Workout Tales, Lessons, & Woes

arguablysamson
arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
This thread is here for anyone to share their experiences in working out. I'll start...

Tonight, my cousin and I did a 4-mile run off-trail. And we got lost and had to find our way back! It started to rain midway through. It was beautiful!

Now, I'm getting ready take back some stuff to Target. I feel awesome!

Replies

• OMADing1
    OMADing1 Posts: 337 Member
    So glad you started this thread. I've been waiting with baited breath to post here, but had to wait until my official 40 days on Omad to start. Today is day 40 and here's my recap:

3534 steps
    40 minutes
    1.51 miles
    cals burnt 160
    walking speed: very leisurely

This is the first time moving my body since starting Omad and how do I feel.....GRRRREEEEAAATTTTT!!!!!
    I totally could have done more, but I want to be watchful that I'm super taking it easy. Before 40 days ago, just walking down the driveway was like lifting 10,000lbs. It was sooooo HARD for me to move without being able to even breath. It was horrible. Today, I did my walking filled with vim, vigor and joy, no hard breathing at all, but I did work-up a sweat and it feels GREEEEAAAATTTTT!

I'll be adding my exercising "antics" on here, this thread. I LOVE Omad!
  • arguablysamson
    Wonderful!

Today was a ripping 8 sets of standing barbell curls (95 lbs x 4 reps per set), 3 sets of the rowing machine, and 3 sets of leg raises for the abs. I feel worked, but not worked to death. It feels good to tank back up after any workout.
  • dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    edited August 2016
    I'm not doing OMAD, it is just too extreme for me right now, but I have been exercising before eating the first meal of the day. After a few months of this, I'm starting to be able to work in some HIIT, so it is working. While I've only slowly been ramping up, it does feel different. For very intense exercise I'm not sure it is a plus, but for something like a normal run I'm less likely to stop if that makes sense. So I'm leaning to the positive side now about exercising in a fasted state.

Curious if anyone had thoughts about this study:
    https://www.researchgate.net/publication/50409403_Exercising_fasting_or_fed_to_enhance_fat_loss_Influence_of_food_intake_on_respiratory_ratio_and_excess_postexercise_oxygen_consumption_after_a_bout_of_endurance_training

It is small and the outcome was negative for light exercise and fasting but not horribly so. I'm a bit confused by it though because normally I wouldn't associate light exercise with higher metabolism 24 hours later.

I'm just curious ... no hostile intent. I would love to see more studies about the impact of fasting and exercise.
  • arguablysamson
    dykask wrote: »
    I'm not doing OMAD, it is just too extreme for me right now, but I have been exercising before eating the first meal of the day. After a few months of this, I'm starting to be able to work in some HIIT, so it is working. While I've only slowly been ramping up, it does feel different. For very intense exercise I'm not sure it is a plus, but for something like a normal run I'm less likely to stop if that makes sense. So I'm leaning to the positive side now about exercising in a fasted state.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/50409403_Exercising_fasting_or_fed_to_enhance_fat_loss_Influence_of_food_intake_on_respiratory_ratio_and_excess_postexercise_oxygen_consumption_after_a_bout_of_endurance_training

It is small and the outcome was negative for light exercise and fasting but not horribly so. I'm a bit confused by it though because normally I wouldn't associate light exercise with higher metabolism 24 hours later.

I'm just curious ... no hostile intent. I would love to see more studies about the impact of fasting and exercise.

Well, this is the workout thread for those of us who OMAD and workout, but this will vary from person to person in intensity and type. I'm in a gaining muscle phase and therefore train to a different end. Someone fasting to lose weight should NOT do anymore than walking for exercise, generally. At a deficit, one must be careful exerting any level of strenuous activity.
  • OMADing1

Well, this is the workout thread for those of us who OMAD and workout, but this will vary from person to person in intensity and type. I'm in a gaining muscle phase and therefore train to a different end. Someone fasting to lose weight should NOT do anymore than walking for exercise, generally. At a deficit, one must be careful exerting any level of strenuous activity.

I'm so glad you said this Joe, today I did 10 minutes on the elliptical and it was quite GRUELING for me. I think I'll stick to walking until I get closer to my goal as you've always suggested!

• arguablysamson
    edampu wrote: »

I'm so glad you said this Joe, today I did 10 minutes on the elliptical and it was quite GRUELING for me. I think I'll stick to walking until I get closer to my goal as you've always suggested!

Good idea. You will tax your body and cause it to start storing reserves to prevent muscle breakdown, which will cause you to hold weight. You're doing just fine like you are.
  • OMADing1
    edited August 2016
    Hi Joe,

I posted this on my thread, but wanted to post it here for you. If you could pls. let me know what you think, I'd appreciate it so much!
    I have to "REMEMBER" and have been thinking all morning, that I actually had a total of 22.something pounds released off/lost of my body in something like 45 days or somethng like that, doing OMAD and NO EXERCISE at all, none, zero, zip. As much as I hate to consider this (because even though the exercise I'm doing isn't "hard", it is definitely challenging for me--that's the part I love so much. BUT, I'm going to be looking at my exercising too--because again, when I wasn't doing anything, off came the weight with total ease.

It'll be humbling for me to slow my exercising down, because I LOVE the power I feel in sweating and doing no exercise makes me feel like I'm being a bum or lazy (which is one of the reasons I got myself into this obese situation, being lazy/inactive (I'm speaking for myself of course). For me being lazy and snacking up a storm was a major contributing factor to my obesity AND super negative and bad attitude, worry, fearful, angry and all kinds of yuck. I hope I don't have to slow down or even stop exercising until I get more towards my goal--that will be super dreadful to me--I REALLY am loving moving this body DAILY and though my walking is super leisurely, I am immensely enjoying my stretching and my light weight (but challenging) body weight stuff I'm doing too.

What do you think?
  • arguablysamson
    Omading1 wrote: »
    Hi Joe,

I posted this on my thread, but wanted to post it here for you. If you could pls. let me know what you think, I'd appreciate it so much!
    I have to "REMEMBER" and have been thinking all morning, that I actually had a total of 22.something pounds released off/lost of my body in something like 45 days or somethng like that, doing OMAD and NO EXERCISE at all, none, zero, zip. As much as I hate to consider this (because even though the exercise I'm doing isn't "hard", it is definitely challenging for me--that's the part I love so much. BUT, I'm going to be looking at my exercising too--because again, when I wasn't doing anything, off came the weight with total ease.

It'll be humbling for me to slow my exercising down, because I LOVE the power I feel in sweating and doing no exercise makes me feel like I'm being a bum or lazy (which is one of the reasons I got myself into this obese situation, being lazy/inactive (I'm speaking for myself of course). For me being lazy and snacking up a storm was a major contributing factor to my obesity AND super negative and bad attitude, worry, fearful, angry and all kinds of yuck. I hope I don't have to slow down or even stop exercising until I get more towards my goal--that will be super dreadful to me--I REALLY am loving moving this body DAILY and though my walking is super leisurely, I am immensely enjoying my stretching and my light weight (but challenging) body weight stuff I'm doing too.

What do you think?

Hi,

At least you admit it. Some people fight me on it when it is clearly true--exercise causes water retention, which in turn, causes weight to stick around. It has its benefits, but will pull the body out of weight loss by triggering stress hormones. Just do nothing more than walk and occasionally "splurge" with exercise and you shouldn't have a problem. You can always readapt to exercise as you approach your goal weight.
  • OMADing1
    Omading1 wrote: »
    Hi Joe,

What do you think?

Hi,

At least you admit it. Some people fight me on it when it is clearly true--exercise causes water retention, which in turn, causes weight to stick around. It has its benefits, but will pull the body out of weight loss by triggering stress hormones. Just do nothing more than walk and occasionally "splurge" with exercise and you shouldn't have a problem. You can always readapt to exercise as you approach your goal weight.

Thank you so much Joe! You've helped me tremendously.
  • vrojapu
    vrojapu Posts: 268 Member
    I couldn't find a thread related to this, so I'm posting here - please bear with me!

Has anyone tried a hypnosis phone app for weight loss called Easy Loss? I read about it just today in a Brit newspaper (I think it was the Daily Mail and that it has been running stories about it).

Thanks in advance!
  • arguablysamson
    Never heard of it, but I am leary of apps. So much gadgetry in the world of weight loss, just like ab machines and desk waist exercisers, standing desks, etc. They may have some use, but I find them to be pretty much distractions.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    This thread is here for anyone to share their experiences in working out. I'll start...

Tonight, my cousin and I did a 4-mile run off-trail. And we got lost and had to find our way back! It started to rain midway through. It was beautiful!

Now, I'm getting ready take back some stuff to Target. I feel awesome!

Nice! I just discovered this thread, don't know how missed it.
  • blambo61
    Wonderful!

Today was a ripping 8 sets of standing barbell curls (95 lbs x 4 reps per set), 3 sets of the rowing machine, and 3 sets of leg raises for the abs. I feel worked, but not worked to death. It feels good to tank back up after any workout.

Thats a good curl workout!
  • blambo61
    dykask wrote: »

Read eating academy.com. it promotes keto but very interesting discussions on burning fat vs glucose and effects on aerobic threshold.
  • Alicia09NYC
    Alicia09NYC Posts: 34 Member
    edited December 2016
    vrojapu wrote: »
    I couldn't find a thread related to this, so I'm posting here - please bear with me!

Has anyone tried a hypnosis phone app for weight loss called Easy Loss? I read about it just today in a Brit newspaper (I think it was the Daily Mail and that it has been running stories about it).

Thanks in advance!

I started my journey to recover myself from the doors of hell by listening to hypnosis sessions i saved to my phone and listened religiously every day on my way to work. My commute by train us 1.5 hours. There is a plethora of info on changing your subconscious. I know i have a messed up recording inside that pushes me for self destruction. I have slowly changed and it has been a positive tool. I used some for self esteem ( glen harrold) and others i found in youtube that help w reprogramming. There is the factor of will and that is a conscious one.
    Silva mind control is another i have been using for visualization. Overall meditation is a great tool because it teaches you to see your thoughts coming and going and not grab them.
    I am still struggling but the seeds for change have been planted.

• vrojapu
    vrojapu Posts: 268 Member
    Thanks so much, and good luck on your journey, Alicia!
  • leveejohn
    leveejohn Posts: 346 Member
    Silva mind control is another i have been using for visualization. Overall meditation is a great tool because it teaches you to see your thoughts coming and going and not grab them.
    I am still struggling but the seeds for change have been planted.

Hi, by Silva do you mean the book or something else? I had read the book years ago and found it extremely powerful, wondering if it has been updated.
  • KetoKaHee
    KetoKaHee Posts: 270 Member
    I have been a Personal Trainer for the past 8 years and a natural fitness competitor. I recently got out of the industry because I could no longer preach the 6 meals a day, low fat diet and having clients do hours of cardio. Now I believe I have found success with a ketogenic diet, OMAD and doing short (30 min) full-body weight training sessions 2-3 times a week. I weight train because I like it and it makes me feel strong. I don't necessarily do it because I think it is going to help me lose weight.
  • leveejohn
    leveejohn Posts: 346 Member
    KetoKaHee wrote: »
    Now I believe I have found success with a ketogenic diet, OMAD and doing short (30 min) full-body weight training sessions 2-3 times a week.

Quite interesting, especially since you've been a fitness competitor! What sort of full-body weight exercises do you do? And why did you discard the cardio altogether?
  • KetoKaHee
    KetoKaHee Posts: 270 Member
    leveejohn wrote: »
    KetoKaHee wrote: »
    Now I believe I have found success with a ketogenic diet, OMAD and doing short (30 min) full-body weight training sessions 2-3 times a week.

Quite interesting, especially since you've been a fitness competitor! What sort of full-body weight exercises do you do? And why did you discard the cardio altogether?

I do circuit training so I keep my intensity level high as I move from one exercise to another so I get both my cardio and weight training together. I really don't like cardio unless it is interval training on a rowing machine. I have spent too many years doing countless hours of cardio and it really isn't the most efficient way to train. Some people really enjoy cardio and I believe you should do what you love. I happen to love lifting weights and feeling strong as a woman. Some of the full body exercises I do are Kettlebell squat to press or dumbbell renegade rows!

I keep my workouts short and sweet so I can enjoy the rest of my day.