Living the Lifestyle - Tues., July 26th

2»

Replies

• goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    I'm with you 60. I really liked seeing where others have come from. I also enjoyed seeing others progress as they changed the numbers on their signature
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    I never did the WW point plans of any iteration as I have always been a calorie counter. But what WW at Work (my on ramp) provided me was accountability and support which were completely lacking from my previous weight maintenance attempts. When the WW at Work shut down due to lack of participation, I transferred to a local meeting where I made lifetime. For the first couple of years I was diligent about going every Saturday morning. But then I started to get back into running, bike riding, and other recreational activities that conflicted with the meeting. I haven't been to a meeting since December when SP rolled out (I was more interested in what the Beyond the Scale stuff would mean).

The WW message boards proved to be a better support system for me. And through those boards I have made several friends, a few that I even see regularly in real life!

I still plan to go once a month and WI to get my free voucher as that provides accountability. Speaking of which, I have to deal with that this week as I had something going on every Saturday of this month. The meeting center times aren't convenient for my work schedule.

• jbrack381us
    jbrack381us Posts: 345 Member
    I was online only from the start. GOAD was my daily accountability meeting. I appreciate how WW helped me understand food choices when I started.

But, for me, MPF allowing me to track calories is just as good as tracking points to me. Just so long as I have a method to keep score.
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I have been on every version of WW from the original version in the late 60's/early 70's up until the one introduced a couple of years ago. I reached goal twice between 1974 and 1993; but never managed to keep it off. I rejoined in 2002 (the week before Thanksgiving of all times!) and my main goal was to get to my goal weight and keep the weight off!

In 2004, I switched to the Core plan, reached goal, and have stuck with that plan. Since then I've managed to stay CLOSE to my official goal weight even though I'm about 10 pounds above where I would really prefer to be.

The area where I live now has only ONE face-to-face meeting that's convenient for me so I haven't attended a meeting since January or February of 2015. I had enough vouchers for free e-tools to carry me through the latter part of 2015. But I stopped using e-Tools sometime in early 2015 as it was pretty much useless for someone following the Core plan.

Oprah has never had a big impact on me so the fact that she was endorsing WW didn't matter to me (any more than any of the other celebrity endorsements did). I saw it as a way for her to increase her wealth by becoming a major stock holder. By the way I've noticed that I haven't seen much about her and how she's doing on WW. Anyone know? I mean on the program itself -- not how her stock is doing. The last time I saw a picture of her, she didn't look much different than when she started.

Learning that WW had decided to shut down the message boards was the nail in the coffin for me as far as WW. Like others have said, I liked knowing that I had an online group of "friends" who had gone through the same struggle(s). Many of us had even met face-to-face after "knowing" each other through the message board.

Would I ever go back to WW meetings? Possibly. If they had a new program introduced that didn't sound like a gimmicky/fad/low-carb "diet".
  • goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    She loved bread. That is all I know.
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    Oprah has never had a big impact on me so the fact that she was endorsing WW didn't matter to me (any more than any of the other celebrity endorsements did). I saw it as a way for her to increase her wealth by becoming a major stock holder. By the way I've noticed that I haven't seen much about her and how she's doing on WW. Anyone know? I mean on the program itself -- not how her stock is doing. The last time I saw a picture of her, she didn't look much different than when she started.

I don't know how she's doing on the program, but I do know she's still active with WW. I get an occasional email advertising a live something or other she's doing. I haven't listened to any of them ... I guess I'm not that interested in her either.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,521 Member
    TOL and I started in 1978, made goal in 1979, and never looked back, almost. Re-joined a few times over the years, and finally re-committed 2010, with my diabetes diagnosis. TOL's at a Dr. note goal, and I'm still struggling. If it weren't for FTF meetings, we'd easily be back on the gain train.
    We both track on-line, and will continue to do so. Points, Points Plus, Smart Points, meh! All the same.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    60in2017 wrote: »
    ...If you're keeping your membership, what's keeping you with the loss of the community section? What about WW is making you stick with it with all the drama/changes going on?

I'm a relative newbie but I think the tracking has been the key to my weight loss from a mechanics standpoint. The structure of doing so keeps me informed and honest and I found I needed that to get to this point. That said, I suspect I could track calories instead of points and probably do as well.

I ignore the drama. In fact, shortly after I started I chose to try not to obsess on weight loss but to work it 'in the background' instead. The value of tracking worked well with that approach: make my food choices, track and keep living life. As of now, I'm still tracking and it's still working for me. Free e-tools has been helpful to this point.

My meeting leader is fabulous; she really is! She's walked the walk; she's quick on her feet, good sense of humor and genuinely cares. Although I like the group too, it's quite likely I'd stop going to the classes if someone else led them.

For the time being WW still works for me. Now that GOAD has a home of its own, I feel like I could piece together my own program if I had to or it made sense to leave WW.

• Jimb376
    Jimb376 Posts: 106 Member
    I've been on WW THIS TIME since 2013, and I plan to stay with the program for my lifetime. The reasons:
    -Weekly WI make me accountable
    -Paying $ makes me USE the programs
    -Every time I lost weight on WW I gained it back when I quit going to WW meetings.
    -I'm 68 yo, not a techy, but I know that CHANGE is constant. I will stick with GoaD on MFP because it helps me to be AWARE.