Let's Share Some Easy Recipes That Don't Seem Like DIET FOOD..

Options
Andreabroadley
Andreabroadley Posts: 5,455 Member
edited July 2016 in Social Groups
Too many of us try to do this by eating celery and carrots, and while I personally like vegetables, at some point my stomach just grinds on them..

Is anyone interested in sharing easy recipes that the whole family will like, and that fit within your meal plan for your goals? I am going to post one I have in a minute...

Replies

• Andreabroadley
    Options
    Panko Walnut Crusted Chicken, Serves 4..

1 lb boneless skinless chicken
    4 tbsp dijon mustard
    1 cup panko bread crumbs
    1/2 cup walnuts (put through your food processor to make smaller)
    4 tbsp fresh rosemary chopped
    2 tbsp olive oil
    season with salt and pepper

Pound chicken to thin pieces, put on a cookie sheet lined with parchment. Season with salt and pepper.
    Spread mustard evenly on top of chicken
    Mix panko, walnuts and rosemary and add 2 tbsp olive oil, spread evenly on mustard side of chicken
    Cook at 425 F for about 10-12 minutes until cooked through. Watch the chicken and turn oven down if crust gets too brown

Calories 347, 20 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, Protein 26 g. YUM!

Serve with a salad, asparagus or other green vegetable and baby new potatoes and your dinner can be under 500 calories.
  • binncheol
    binncheol Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm interested in this! I've only started learning to cook in the last few months in an effort to cut out unnecessary sugary/calories and be more aware of what I'm fueling my body with - it's been going great and I've been having much more interesting salads for lunch in work during the week because of it. However I struggle to think of what I want for dinner that's healthy.

A friend recommended Chana Masala and it was delicious and froze well (an important part of decision making when I'm cooking for one!).
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/sep/24/how-to-make-the-perfect-chana-masala
  • Andreabroadley
    Options
    binncheol wrote: »
    Oh, I'm interested in this! I've only started learning to cook in the last few months in an effort to cut out unnecessary sugary/calories and be more aware of what I'm fueling my body with - it's been going great and I've been having much more interesting salads for lunch in work during the week because of it. However I struggle to think of what I want for dinner that's healthy.

A friend recommended Chana Masala and it was delicious and froze well (an important part of decision making when I'm cooking for one!).
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/sep/24/how-to-make-the-perfect-chana-masala

I will have to try it this week! Thanks @binncheol! I have a few vege main dishes that are great as well. I will post one over the weekend.
  • jblanscett
    jblanscett Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've made baked oatmeal for breakfast and been pleased. Easy recipe and they freeze which makes them a good alternative on weeks where I'm too busy to make meals. Here is one recipe: http://www.alagraham.com/2013/02/individual-baked-oatmeal-cups.html?m=1
  • halocruiser
    halocruiser Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you are/were a pasta lover, my family are relatively new fans of spaghetti squash. Lots of recipes online, but our favorites are simple. Half normal spaghetti sauce with least amount of sugar and sodium then add mushrooms, zucchini, tomatoes... All the taste of a heavy carb meal but NOT. You can oven roast the squash or simply 15-18 min in microwave flat side down in a bit of water. Enjoy :smiley:
  • Andreabroadley
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Here's a yummy recipe for black bean taco filling.. it's great with some avocado and lettuce, and can be used with either hard or soft taco shells.

1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 onion, diced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 Bell pepper, chopped
    2 19 ounce cans black beans, rinsed, drained, and mashed (not fully mashed)
    2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
    1-1/2 tablespoons cumin
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1-1/2 cup medium salsa

Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion, garlic bell pepper; cook until tender. Stir in mashed beans. Add the corn meal. Mix in the spices and the salsa. Cover and cook five minutes.

If you like it spicier, you can kick it up by going with hotter salsa, or with with more spices.

Makes 8 generous servings of 2 tacos or burritos each.

Nutrition per serving (2 tacos): 163 calories, 2 grams fat, 27 grams carb, 7 grams fiber, 8 grams protein.

Enjoy!
  • PudgyFellow123
    PudgyFellow123 Posts: 40 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Hey guys, I made this meal for dinner. Macros are good if you want to lose weight.

- 250g of salmon with skin. Seasoned with salt, garlic powder, paprika and olive oil. Light sriracha over the top
    - 1/4 cup cooked brown rice
    - 1/2 bag of blanch baby spinach. Dressed with sesame seed oil, light soy sauce and fried shellots.

Rough macros are around 50grams, protein, 22gram of carbs (but mostly fibre)
    And around 20-25gram fat. Good fats from the salmon so it's all good.

tqlpzy44n0gu.jpeg
  • Andreabroadley
    Options
    Hey guys, I made this meal for dinner. Macros are good if you want to lose weight.

- 250g of salmon with skin. Seasoned with salt, garlic powder, paprika and olive oil. Light sriracha over the top
    - 1/4 cup cooked brown rice
    - 1/2 bag of blanch baby spinach. Dressed with sesame seed oil, light soy sauce and fried shellots.

Rough macros are around 50grams, protein, 22gram of carbs (but mostly fibre)
    And around 20-25gram fat. Good fats from the salmon so it's all good.

tqlpzy44n0gu.jpeg

Looks Yummy! I will have to try seasoning my salmon this way!
  • Andreabroadley
    Options
    Quick and Healthier Beef Stew (Serves 4)

3 tablespoon olive oil
    1-1/2 cups diced potatoes (skins on)
    1 cup baby carrots
    1 cup small button mushrooms
    1/3 chopped onion
    1 tablespoon chopped garlic
    1/2 cup of baby peas, fresh or frozen
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
    1 lb beef tenderloin, cut into one inch cubes
    2 tablespoon red wine
    2 tablespoon beef broth

In first pan, Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil, add the carrots, potatoes and mushrooms. Cook, partially covered for about 8 minutes, or until the vegetables are cooked through and lightly browned. Add the onion and cook 1-2 minutes longer, add the garlic, peas and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook for 1 minute. Keep warm by covering with lid or placing in low oven.

In second pan, Brown meat in 2 tablespoons of olive oil, no need to flour this delicious cut of beef, 2-3 minutes per side. Put on a platter to rest.

Add the wine and beef broth to the second pan and cook 10 seconds.

Put everything together on the platter to serve.

Calories 430, 18 grams fat, 4 grams saturated fat, sodium 288, protein 31 g.
  • Andreabroadley
    Options
    Healthier Meatloaf (serves 6)

8 oz assorted mushrooms
    1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    1 tsp dried thyme
    1 tsp minced garlic
    1 tablespoon dry sherry (optional)
    1/2 cup minced fresh parsley (I leave it out, I am allergic!)
    1/2 cup pureed Roma tomatoes
    8 oz 90% lean ground sirloin
    8 oz ground pork
    1 cup quick oats
    1/4 cup grated onion
    1 egg
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon kosher salt

For the Topping
    1/3 cup ketchup
    1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
    2 teaspoons brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350.

Pulse the mushrooms in a food processor. Put olive oil in pan and saute the mushrooms until liquid evaporates 5-8 minutes. Stir in thyme, onion and garlic, then add the sherry, if using. Add the parsley and tomatoes, set the mixture aside.

Combine the beef, pork, breadcrumbs, egg, Worcestershire, salt and the mushroom/tomato mixture in a large bowl. Spray a broiler pan with no stick cooking spray. Shape into a 9 x 4 inch loaf and place on the broiler pan so that fat can drip away while cooking.

Stir together ketchup, mustard and brown sugar in a bowl, spoon on top of meatloaf.

Bake until thermometer reads 165 F, about 1 hour and let it rest. Slice into 12 slices and each person gets 2.

280 calories, 15 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 17 g protein.
  • Andreabroadley
    Options
    binncheol wrote: »

I will have to try it this week! Thanks @binncheol! I have a few vege main dishes that are great as well. I will post one over the weekend.

I tried this one! It was delicious! Thanks @binncheol!
  • binncheol
    binncheol Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    On Monday I made Cajun Chicken & Quinoa from BBCGoodFood - it was delicious and so, so easy!
    I will say that it definitely is not enough for 4! I managed to get 3 portions out of it, but they weren't very big portions. I think the recipe is meant to have double the quinoa?

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1162644/spicy-cajun-chicken-quinoa
  • nadizat
    nadizat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Some kind of minestrone soup (I don't do exact cooking so sorry! Just use what I have and taste , never measure stuff out)

Finely chop onions and garlic. Cube carrots, celery, and have some thick greens like kale roughly chopped. Add to a pot good quality stock (veg or chicken) and add the roughly chopped rind of an old Parmesan cheese chunk (you can keep them in the freezer once you are down to the bit that's too hard to grate anymore). This will dissolve into the soup making it tasty and umami. Add the carrots, onions, garlic, celery, a tin of drained and rinsed beans (black eyed or white beans works the best) and a tin of tomatoes (this works for id say up to four portions but if you are cooking huge amounts obviously add additional tins as needed). Chilli pepper and dried herbs are also nice additions, and for sure plenty of black pepper. Bring to a slow boil for roughly thirty minutes, tasting as you go. When you think things are almost done add the tough greens and boil until they are cooked but still with some bite. It you want to bulk it out you can add leftover pasta or rice or other grains, but it's such a hearty soup anyway with the beans you may be happy to skip the carbs completely :) sure you could also add pieces of chicken leftover from a roast to this of you want the meat.
  • Andreabroadley
    Options
    nadizat wrote: »
    Some kind of minestrone soup (I don't do exact cooking so sorry! Just use what I have and taste , never measure stuff out)

Finely chop onions and garlic. Cube carrots, celery, and have some thick greens like kale roughly chopped. Add to a pot good quality stock (veg or chicken) and add the roughly chopped rind of an old Parmesan cheese chunk (you can keep them in the freezer once you are down to the bit that's too hard to grate anymore). This will dissolve into the soup making it tasty and umami. Add the carrots, onions, garlic, celery, a tin of drained and rinsed beans (black eyed or white beans works the best) and a tin of tomatoes (this works for id say up to four portions but if you are cooking huge amounts obviously add additional tins as needed). Chilli pepper and dried herbs are also nice additions, and for sure plenty of black pepper. Bring to a slow boil for roughly thirty minutes, tasting as you go. When you think things are almost done add the tough greens and boil until they are cooked but still with some bite. It you want to bulk it out you can add leftover pasta or rice or other grains, but it's such a hearty soup anyway with the beans you may be happy to skip the carbs completely :) sure you could also add pieces of chicken leftover from a roast to this of you want the meat.

Sounds delish!!
  • risa_25
    risa_25 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have 2.

1. Cauliflower rice.
    Not necessarily recipe but lately I've been making cauliflower 'rice'.

Chop down a cauliflower head into smaller pieces and in a food processor blitz pieces of cauliflower. You can also chip finely. An entire head of cauliflower will make about 4 cups. It will be raw.

I have cooked it risotto style, stock and a little bit of parm at the end.
    Used it was rice, quickly steam it in a little stock to cook it through.
    Added it to my chopped salad.

2. Chickpea cilantro patties. If you like falafel, you'll like these.
    Based off this recipe http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/001567.html
    I adjusted the quanities a little. I use 1 can of chickpeas, 1 cup of cilantro, less egg. You could sub all egg white too, 3 egg whites should do.

1 can of chickpeas
    1 onion, quartered
    2 large eggs
    1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
    1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    Grated zest of one large lemon
    1/2 cup toasted whole-grain bread crumbs
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • Andreabroadley
    Options
    risa_25 wrote: »
    I have 2.

1. Cauliflower rice.
    Not necessarily recipe but lately I've been making cauliflower 'rice'.

Chop down a cauliflower head into smaller pieces and in a food processor blitz pieces of cauliflower. You can also chip finely. An entire head of cauliflower will make about 4 cups. It will be raw.

I have cooked it risotto style, stock and a little bit of parm at the end.
    Used it was rice, quickly steam it in a little stock to cook it through.
    Added it to my chopped salad.

2. Chickpea cilantro patties. If you like falafel, you'll like these.
    Based off this recipe http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/001567.html
    I adjusted the quanities a little. I use 1 can of chickpeas, 1 cup of cilantro, less egg. You could sub all egg white too, 3 egg whites should do.

1 can of chickpeas
    1 onion, quartered
    2 large eggs
    1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
    1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    Grated zest of one large lemon
    1/2 cup toasted whole-grain bread crumbs
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

Yum! We love cauliflower too! I've never done as rice substitute, will have to give it a try. We often roast small pieces in the oven, first tossing with a bit of olive oil, with garlic powder mixed in..
  • Andreabroadley
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Peppered Beef with spinach and tomatoes Serves 2

From Cuisine Lite

For the beef
    2 beef tenderloin filets, 4 oz each
    1/4 tsp kosher salt
    1/2 tsp black pepper corns cracked
    2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
    2 tbsp bourbon
    1/4 cup low sodium beef broth
    1 tbsp minced shallots
    2 tbsp half and half
    1 tbsp course ground mustard

For the mustard
    1/2 extra virgin olive oil
    1/2 cup halved grape tomatoes
    1 tsp minced garlic
    6 cups fresh spinach
    1 tsp lemon juice
    1/8 tsp each kosher salt and ground black pepper

Season the filets with 1/2 tsp salt, press peppercorns into one side. Heat oil in saute pan over medium high heat and cook filets 3-4 minutes per side for medium rare. Remove from heat and tent with foil.

Remove pan from heat first to avoid flaring of bourbon. Next, add bourbon, simmer until liquid is reduced by half, 1 minute. Add broth ans shallots, simmer 2-3 mins. Stir in half and half and mustard.

Heat 1/2 tsp oil in large non-stick skillet over medium heat, saute tomatoes and garlic until fragrant, 1-2 mins.
    Add spinach to skillet, saute until wilted. Season with lemon juice, 1/8 tsp salt and pepper.

Serve steak and spinach with potatoes or another veg.

Per serving: calories 287 , fat: 11 g (4 g saturated), 710 mg sodium, 13 grams carb (5 grams fibre), 26 6 protein.