Your thoughts on... Building up to the deadlift.

Options
GetSoda
GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
I have some sort of lower back issue. It might be a bulging disc, it might be a muscle imbalance, but it's been going on over a year. Anyway, point is, it causes me NO issue whatsoever as long as I have immaculate form.

My deadlift work weight is 275lbs. That's about where I start to get sloppy with form. I've deloaded a couple times, done volume work.

So in the interest of developing better bracing - do you think it would be best to strip the bar down to 135 and restart progress? I'm already doing Good Mornings now as part of the program that was put together for me here, but should there be other exercises thrown in to help lumbar stability? Do you think just going down to 135 and then progressing back up 5lbs at a time will bring my low back up to speed?

I also do some low back mobility work. You know, lacrosse balls in a sock. That sort of thing.

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should go get your lower back issue checked out?
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    A doctor might not be able to help with that. Lower back pain is hard to diagnose, and treatments are not always successful. Also, strength and flexibility does not always correlate with recovery from lower back pain. It's a big mystery, from my understanding (I'm a lifelong sufferer of lower back pain, like the OP).

OP--the last time I experienced lower back pain during a training session, it freaked me out enough that I deloaded on both squats and deadlifts, and I focused on tweaking form for the next two weeks. I also reassessed my overall regimen--I was overtraining, and possibly not eating enough, which hampered recovery. Even if that doesn't apply to you, form could be off. And remember what Rippetoe said at the end of the deadlift chapter--not everyone needs to train the deadlift with maximum weight. Especially if you have lower back problems.
  • GetSoda
    Options
    Maybe you should go get your lower back issue checked out?

I did. Got prescribed physical therapy. Doctors didn't think any of my symptoms were alarming since the pain is always localized and provides no functional impairment.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I would switch over to a more conservative progression, like 5/3/1.

I can't really offer any suggestions on how to fix your back issue without knowing what the issue is.
  • bumblebums
    Options
    An exercise you could use in place of a deadlift, while recovering, is back extensions. I do them with a kettlebell, and they feel much safer than the deadlift when my back is even remotely temperamental.
  • GetSoda
    Options
    I have given up some exercises due to this - namely pendlay rows.
    I can deadlift problem free. It's just that I lack strength for the proper bracing when it gets heavier.
  • bumblebums
    Options
    I have given up some exercises due to this - namely pendlay rows.
    I can deadlift problem free. It's just that I lack strength for the proper bracing when it gets heavier.

Maybe you're being impatient about progressing? With that particular lift, I wouldn't increase the weight until you feel completely comfortable.

I hear you about rows. I don't do barbell rows precisely because just looking at the pics of people doing them makes my back hurt. I do chin-ups and pull-ups instead.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Are you saying, you ability to hold good form, I.e. spinal stability, is your limiting factor?
  • GetSoda
    Options
    Are you saying, you ability to hold good form, I.e. spinal stability, is your limiting factor?

Yes.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    It might be worth you introducing a core exercise that requires you to hold your spine in the correct position whilst resisting a force. Such as crunches (easy to hold form if small enough movement) up to double leg raises (nails to maintain correct spine alignment). I also agree with the other back extension suggestions earlier. You can strengthen your hip extensors with minimal risk of injury. Word of warning though, training these directly will make you more prone to injury during recovery so watch how you sit/sleep/exercise afterwards.

Yes it sounds vaguely like pilates, and yes I hate that. It's preferable to a slipped disc though if it works.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Also the imbalance comment, I'd assume your physio checked your hamstring and hip flexor flexibility?
  • GetSoda
    Options
    Also the imbalance comment, I'd assume your physio checked your hamstring and hip flexor flexibility?

Hip flexors are good, hamstrings are a little tight, calves are totally wound up. Been working on that.
  • IronSmasher
    Options

Hip flexors are good, hamstrings are a little tight, calves are totally wound up. Been working on that.

Just in case it's rounding in order to compensate, but I'm guessing (I'm not a physio) that it would have little effect at deadlift angles.

I take it your form is good, and your not firing your legs early and doing a huge back extension. All your approaches so far seem good.