Interesting Supplement-can maybe help w/COPD & h. pylori infections?? Insulin Sensitivity, too?

Options
KnitOrMiss
KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
edited July 2016 in Social Groups
http://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2010/5/n-acetyl-cysteine/page-01

The sad consequence is that most aging individuals have never heard of it. Even many doctors remain unaware of its potential role as a frontline defense against some of today’s most deadly public health threats, including:
  • Acetaminophen toxicity and acute liver failure: the number one cause of acute liver failure in the United States.1
  • Influenza: whose victims are primarily aging individuals—three quarters of all flu-related deaths occur in the elderly.2
  • Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: the fourth-leading cause of death in the United States (includes emphysema and chronic bronchitis).2
  • Helicobacter pylori: the bacterial culprit behind stomach ulcers, and a potentially lethal pathogen closely linked to malignant gastric cancer, the second most frequent cause of cancer death worldwide.3

EDITED TO ADD:

Bring Glucose Levels Under Control
Oxidative stress and inflammation are closely linked to insulin resistance and rising blood glucose levels. These effects are not limited to those with diabetes, but in fact are found even in obese, non-diabetic people and those with metabolic syndrome.56 There are multiple steps in the cascade of events leading from oxidation to damaged insulin receptors and insulin resistance, so it makes sense to seek a supplement that can target many of those steps independently.57,58 NAC is emerging as one such multi-targeted supplement.56

Replies

• SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Gotta love the nac...It's in my critical liver support. Woot woot! I've known about it's liver loving properties for awhile....thank you for this.

Arm thy selves with knowledge!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    So with the oxidative stress and inflammation, does this mean that the high doses of fish oil and Vit C and antioxidants **might** naturally help with insulin resistance??? Another reason to limit my HWC since I can't get it locally without carrageenan...hmm...