Losing weight too fast

Options
ominousdusk
ominousdusk Posts: 62 Member
I've lost almost 10lbs in less than 2 weeks. I'm nursing so from what I've read this is too fast because of toxins being released from the fat. I'm also concerned about getting loose skin. Will the weight loss slow down soon or do I need to increase my carbs?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    It will slow down a lot as soon as your glycogen stores are purged. It usually only takes a couple of weeks.
  • ThatUserNameIsntOriginal
    Options
    It is normal to lose weight rapidly at the start of a keto diet, it is primarily water weight. For every one part of glycogen there is 3 parts of water, so as you deplete your glycogen storage you lose a lot of water weight. Also when you are on keto your kidneys longer store sodium the way they used to so its important to increase your sodium intake quite a bit! I like to get at least 5000mg of sodium everyday or else i will feel lethargic. Potassium and magnesium are also important, id recommend dark leafy greens like an organic spring mix, and avacados to help supplement those. Also bone broth is great and simple to make. Do not increase your carbs, it will make this whole process take a lot longer and give you carb cravings.

One of the great things about this diet is that after a certain period of time food cravings will go away!
  • ominousdusk
    ominousdusk Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Ok thank you! I just have loose skin already from the babies i didn't want to make it worse by losing weight too fast. Theres so little information out there on lactation and whats safe and whats not, its very nerve wracking if im doing the right thing. from ketones in my milk and the toxins, but the limited studies i've found and the research i've done so far say that it should be OK as long as im not restricting calories, which im not at all.
    I feel better now knowing its water weight and not all fat haha.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Potential toxins are stored in fat. You didn't lose 10lbs of fat. You lost mostly several pounds of water. All low carb diets produce initial water weight loss. The inverse is also true. If you've lost that water and have a high carb day or two - you will gain several pounds of water weight.