So Frustrated!

Options
pittmanclan545
pittmanclan545 Posts: 22 Member
I am not overweight. I am very fit and I am working hard on maintaining that level of fitness. I've lost 30lbs in the past 18 months and was happy where I was. Since July 4th I gained 5 lbs and it's all located in my stomach area. I cannot for the life of me understand how I gained the weight and why it's in that one place and how to get it off! I exercise 5x a week, I use the fitbit (15,000 + steps and 2000 calories burned 6 days a week) and I am very cautious with what I eat. In the 2 weeks I've use my fitness pal I've only lost 1lb! Any suggestions??

Replies

• courtliv3
    courtliv3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Any way this could be an instance of overtraining/under-eating?

I'm in a similar boat -- gained a bit of weight after birthday/vacationing, and it seems extra hard to get it off! Before it appeared, I was working out less, eating more processed foods, consuming way more carbs, etc. I'm wondering if by adding workouts and restricting my diet, I've shocked my body into hanging onto those extra pounds (or maybe that's wishful thinking!).

I think I'll hire a nutritionist for some professional advice if I don't see progress in another couple weeks. I know it can be so stressful to be at this stage, but don't let it get to you! You're already living a healthy lifestyle, and that's GREAT -- that's really the whole point! Getting hung up on a few pounds to the extent of feeling discouraged isn't worth it -- I remind myself of that all the time. :) I'm sure your routine might just need some tweaks and you can take all the time you need exploring adjustments.

Wish you all the best! xx
  • cooknhike
    cooknhike Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    A half pound a week is totally acceptable. Be patient, it will come!
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, I hate that! It's exactly where I gain my weight too!

If you haven't gained 5 pounds of muscle mass by changing up your workout routine, I wonder if you've eaten something that makes you bloated, such as wheat. I'm very sensitive to wheat and when I do eat it, I look like I'm 3 months pregnant. Or, maybe hormonal shifts due to peri-menopause is making you hang onto those 5 pounds, especially if you are approaching your time of the month?
  • bodyPositive2016
    Options
    My experience with fitbit is that it over-estimates. You probably aren't doing quite as many steps or burn as many calories as you think you are. However, when it comes to weight loss, I've always found nutrition to be the most important factor, not exercise. Exercise for you mind, eat well for your body. What kinds of foods do you eat? If you normally eat rather low carb and then splurge on carby foods, you're going to gain water weight. It wouldn't surprise me if that is your issue.
  • mary_t_edwards
    mary_t_edwards Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with the fitbit over-estimating your steps. Also, watch your protein intake. To lose weight you need to increase protein and decrease carb intakes as well as change up your workout routines. I finally figured out that I was not eating as much as I thought I was. Weigh everything until you can eye your serving sizes close to right. Take body measurements so you can tell when you are losing inches if your not losing pounds. And be patient.
  • jadefitnow
    jadefitnow Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Having gained and lost the equivalent of a small child more than once in my life, I know how persnickety the scale can be. If your clothes are fitting correctly, your fitness level is where it should be and you feel great, the 5 lbs will come and go with fluctuations in metabolism, hormones, water, outside temperature and life in general. ESPECIALLY for women! As long as you KNOW you're living right, you're doing exactly the right things..... just keep doing what you do...(easy to say, hard to live:-)
  • crissy976
    crissy976 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Do not go by your scale. Take measurements or notice the way your clothes are fitting.