Your ideas on the how-to of bulking?

Options
pandorakick
pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
I'm planning to start my first bulk this autumn but find that I have a butt load of questions. I would really appreciate every ones view on these questions:

1. What is the ideal range of BF% for both men and women to start a bulk?
2. How much should a man aim to gain per week?
3. How much should a woman aim to gain per week?
4. Gradually increase the kcal's to get there or doesn't that matter? And vice versa for cutting?
5. Are a few weeks at maintenance advisable before starting to cut after bulking?
6. What is the merit of a "clean" bulk vs a "dirty" bulk? Does it even make difference?
7. How long a time frame is optimal, 12 weeks, 18 weeks? Why?
8. Are there specific guidelines for training during a bulk? E.g. should a beginner lifter just proceed with the progressive load program that is being followed?
9. And how about those following an intermediate training program?

Thank you in advance for your reactions!
Also, feel free to add any questions I forgot in this list :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    bump since I am at work
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to start my first bulk this autumn but find that I have a butt load of questions. I would really appreciate every ones view on these questions:

4. Gradually increase the kcal's to get there or doesn't that matter? And vice versa for cutting?
    5. Are a few weeks at maintenance advisable before starting to cut after bulking?
    6. What is the merit of a "clean" bulk vs a "dirty" bulk? Does it even make difference?
    8. Are there specific guidelines for training during a bulk? E.g. should a beginner lifter just proceed with the progressive load program that is being followed?

1) 10-12, or less for men, 20ish for women. But this can depend on how much muscle you have, age, etc. I wouldn't tell a skinny-fat 17 year old to worry about trying to lose fat initially.

2) .5-1 lb per week

3) about half the above rate

4) I prefer the gradual method, because I like to go with conservative surpluses and deficits. It also prevents me from having to screw with theoretical numbers, I just adjust cals until the scale starts moving.

5) At least a few weeks, yes.

6) If you have 5 workers building a house, they work faster if they have enough material. But, once they have enough, they don't work faster because you give them more than they can use.

7) You usually bulk until the amount of fat you gained is unacceptable, usually around 15% for men.

8) If you're still a newbie, your training would look the same. If you're intermediate or higher, you can continue with a strength-based routine or go with a higher-volume hypertrophy routine.

9) Follow an intermediate program if you're an intermediate.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

1) 10-12, or less for men, 20ish for women. But this can depend on how much muscle you have, age, etc. I wouldn't tell a skinny-fat 17 year old to worry about trying to lose fat initially.

2) .5-1 lb per week

3) about half the above rate

4) I prefer the gradual method, because I like to go with conservative surpluses and deficits. It also prevents me from having to screw with theoretical numbers, I just adjust cals until the scale starts moving.

5) At least a few weeks, yes.

6) If you have 5 workers building a house, they work faster if they have enough material. But, once they have enough, they don't work faster because you give them more than they can use.

7) You usually bulk until the amount of fat you gained is unacceptable, usually around 15% for men.

8) If you're still a newbie, your training would look the same. If you're intermediate or higher, you can continue with a strength-based routine or go with a higher-volume hypertrophy routine.

9) Follow an intermediate program if you're an intermediate.

I would just add that regarding 4), I think you stand a much greater chance of staying leaner for longer if you slowly bring calories up.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Saying **** it, and just eating ridiculous amounts of food works for some though. It's all about how much and how fast you're willing to accept fat gain.

I wouldn't be as large (in a good way) as I am today without blatant disreguard for my health and wellbeing with my diet during my HS years...
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Saying **** it, and just eating ridiculous amounts of food works for some though. It's all about how much and how fast you're willing to accept fat gain.

I wouldn't be as large (in a good way) as I am today without blatant disreguard for my health and wellbeing with my diet during my HS years...

Well, when you're talking about teenage boys, all bets are off.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Tagging
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Saying fuck it as a 34 year old female, probably not such a good idea!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Right. As your analogy alluded to, most people aren't going to see any better bulking with higher and higher calories. Just more fat. Individual experiences vary so you'll have to incorporate a little trial and error here. Start small and work your way up. And read Sara's bulk blog.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    In for bulk.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options

Saying fuck it as a 34 year old female, probably not such a good idea!
    LOL'ed at that! :laugh:

Thank you all for your input, really gives food for thought on how to plan this bulk.

Does anyone know why the rate of building muscle is for women (at best) about half the rate it is for men? Is it purely due to the difference in testosterone levels, or are there more factors that come into play?