QOTD: Coffee

crewahl
crewahl Posts: 4,327 Member
My QOTD is, "What do you use to brew coffee at home?"

My 30+ year old blade grinder died, so I replaced it with a burr grinder. Now I'm thinking my drip brewer from Cuisinart may no longer be my best option. It does okay, but it only brews at about 180°, which is below the 195-200° they recommend. I'm looking at a Capresso Triple Brew, which is an electric French press - it immerses the grounds in high-temp water to steep them like tea, and then lets the brewed coffee drain into a carafe. (Did my Consumer Reports research first.)

I'm not an espresso/ cappuccino/ lattes sorta guy, so I only need so much sophistication - but I'd like to make sure I'm getting the most flavor my beans have to offer. I also want to be able to brew at least 30 ounces of coffee at a time for DW and me on the weekends.

Anyone using a home machine that's more than drip? Your experiences and suggestions?

Replies

• myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,679 Member
    Congratulations on the burr grinder. It gives a nice even grind. I just drink drip. I don't use a machine, just a pour over with a Hario filter cone & filters and goose neck pouring kettle.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    I'm lazy and do the old fashioned way. Cheap Mr. Coffee maker and filter. Gets the job done quick and easy :)
  • mrpher
    mrpher Posts: 149 Member
    We have an inexpensive Keurig at home, but I don't use it often. During the week, at work, we have a few fancier single brew systems. One uses pods/cups and the other uses packets. The packet one (can't remember the brand) had "milk" packets to make cappuccinos and lattes.
  • goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    20 dollar drip brewer here with Starbucks breakfast blend. Never even considered another option. Now I'm going to have to check out what you described.
  • crewahl
    Yeah, I like cheap and easy too - wait, did I just say that? "I generally prefer low cost and efficiency as well" - how's that?

;)

But I'm getting fussier about some things like coffee. We'll see where it all ends up.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    edited July 2016
    This is fancy. My only suggestion is a system with thermal carafe. Keeps the coffee hot for a surprisingly long time without burning it.

Our French Press experience involved a lot of grounds in our coffee cup. So, drip it is for us. My wife prefers a percolator, which also makes a darn good cup of coffee.
  • crewahl
    Okay - I need to make sure what I'm looking at supports a paper filter, since I'm not s big fan of coffee grounds.

Although the burr grinder does say to use a coarse grind, meaning fewer grounds can make it through. But a "traditional" French press does allow for sediment that has to be managed (I'm told.)
  • myallforjcbill
    Brew method determines grind says the anal coffee fanatic. French Press is coarser, basket is medium, pour over finer, express is very fine. Roughly speaking.
  • crewahl
    edited July 2016
    Um, Bill? Do you want to use the edit function on your post? Because it's making me question how much I want to rely on your recommendation.

;)
  • myallforjcbill
    Well I do live in the Bay Area after all.
  • crewahl
    LOL, because I thought that but didn't go there.
  • myallforjcbill
    sometimes I am thrust into the middle of something unintentionally
  • spospo1
    spospo1 Posts: 433 Member
    Tough act to follow but regular DD coffee made in an electric percolator. We have a Keurig as a back up and have used a french press. Our favorite is DD coffee. In fact, I'm having one now.
  • crewahl
    Thanks for the input, folks. I've backed off from the electric French press because I don't want to deal with sediment. I'm still looking for the proper (high) temperature system, and I'm looking at a Bonavita BV 1900TS. Stay tuned . . .
  • hogwldfltr
    hogwldfltr Posts: 7 Member
    Costco purchased Keurigs can be returned if they scale up and won't work. Currently on my third one from on purchase.

-Lee
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I'm not a coffee snob (have one or two cups in the morning), so I just use a Hamilton Beach drip coffee maker and Folger's coffee. The only thing mine MUST have is the auto-shutoff feature.

I had one of the original Keurigs but wasn't thrilled with it. My son gave me the Hamilton Beach which allows me to make a full pot in a carafe or a single cup. And accomodates my large mug on the single cup side.

Best of both worlds.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,148 Member
    No question in my mind that for me french press makes the best coffee. I have a small cheap one that works great. I am usually too lazy and just use my cuisinart drip machine which is "OK".

One of my friends who travels all over the world brings his small grinder with him, whole coffee beans, and a french press. I was very impressed out in thge middle of the Gobi Desert when he had great coffee.
  • podkey
    Agree about the automatic shutoff. I actually want mine to NOT "keep the coffee hot" at all once brewed. I have my cuisinart set-up to shut off once brewed. I put it in a thermos. If I forget I would microwave up to temp.
  • podkey
    some Dr's offices and hotels use the Keurig system which I hate if for the enormous waste accumulation alone with the pods.
  • Snowbird_IL2Fl
    Snowbird_IL2Fl Posts: 8 Member
    Keurig, reusable K-cup and Cafe Bustelo Espresso Ground ... and coffee all over the kitchen ... the Keurig & reusable K - cup don't like the espresso grind.