Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Gettin' Jacked

Hey guys! So, I am a twig and am hoping to gain weight rather than lose it. Ideally this will be muscle and not fat. So, everyone. Any advice? Also, kudos to Dave Lang for all the #content.

Replies

• ColtonrDaniels
    ColtonrDaniels Posts: 125 Member
    I'm gonna say google is probably the best place for this type of answer but I'll give my two cents. I would def do a carb heavy diet. Think spaghetti kinda of thing. You are going to want to focus on eating a bunch of food to give you energy to then burn it off with weights. Weights honestly you can't go wrong with dumbbells. You will want to start with 10's then 15's 25's and so forth. You don't want to start with 25's, you will do more harm than good and your body isn't used to that so this takes the aches and such away. You want to balance both arms, legs, chest, back shoulder exercises. If you stack one spot then you are gonna look really weird. It will take oh about 2 weeks to begin to possibly notice it. When I raided in WoW I would do 2 reps of 10 on each arm when I died.
  • Variant3
    Variant3 Posts: 44 Member
    edited August 2016
    I myself only own a set of dumbbells and found this online.

http://www.mensfitness.com/training/build-muscle/dumbbell-workout

I'm planning on trying out this routine soon and figured I would share it.

Another thing I've learned is the importance of protien in gaining muscle mass.

http://breakingmuscle.com/nutrition/top-10-foods-to-gain-muscle-mass

Since you are probably not looking to get "swole" maybe take some of what is here with a grain of salt.

Best of luck!
  • sixtycakes
    sixtycakes Posts: 15 Member
    It really depends on your goals but I think the fitness subreddits are a good starting point. In any case - make sure your diet is good and you're getting enough calories and protein or you will either not gain muscle or just gain fat #cultivatingmass.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/wiki/getting_started
    /r/fitness has a good faq with links to basic linear progression strength programs such as Starting Strength or Strong Lifts 5x5. They also have some links to other programs such as Push, Pull, Legs (PPL) which focuses more on aesthetics but those are considered intermediate programs. For starting out I'd stick to linear progression routines and throw in some vanity exercises at the end of your workouts if you really can't wait to develop muscle mass. I'd recommend avoiding any 5-6 day "bro-splits" where you spend each day on a different body part. These programs are designed more for people who take steroids whereas lifters who are natural typically respond better to training muscle groups twice a week like PPL.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/faq
    If you want to develop muscle mass and do cool stuff with your body checkout /r/bodyweightfitness. This route will probably take longer to gain muscle mass but it would get you ready to do things like handstands, tumbling, parkour or any other bodyweight activity. Something to keep in mind - it's harder to go from weight training to bodyweight than the other way around because weight training doesn't work your smaller stabilizing muscles as much as bodyweight does. Body weight training is also cool because you can do it at home and doesn't require a lot of equipment. A pullup bar and/or a set of rings will be way more cost effective than buying a home squat rack.
  • big_jon_1988
    big_jon_1988 Posts: 58 Member
    edited August 2016
    Eat a calorie excess with a lot of protein, try for equal to your body weight in pounds for grams of protein and try to eat 300 extra calories then you need to maintain your weight each day. Everyone is different though, so keep track of your progress. Also obviously work out, lift weights in medium to high Rep ranges. Try to shoot for 8 to 12 reps for 3 sets on most lifts. YouTube is a great place to look for general tips and learning.