Kinda Feeling Like I Struck Gold on This One.

Options
Gallowmere1984
Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
I have been trying to figure out ways to very specifically dial in macros. What better way to do that, than via a liquid supplemental food?

24 ounces Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
2 scoops Isopure Zero Carb Creamy Vanilla Protein
2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
0.5 teaspoon ground Cinnamon

I used an immersion blender, as blender bottles are woefully inadequate for mixing oils.

543 kcal, 4g carbs (all fiber), 37g fat, 53g protein.

If you need more fat in the shake than protein, the oil can be bumped up by a tablespoon, while taking the Isopure down to a single scoop, and it comes out just as amazing. If for some weird reason you don't like (or are allergic to) Cinnamon, just leave it out, but I feel like that really takes away from it.

The best part for me, is that Isopure is one of the only ZC protein powders to get run through a third party labratory analysis, and actually come out looking great.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    That Isopure sounds nice. I'll have to keep my eyes open for it.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    That Isopure sounds nice. I'll have to keep my eyes open for it.

I found it at my local GNC, but it can be had on the cheap by ordering online. I just wanted it now, so I could start playing with the recipe a bit.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy! Maybe add an egg, some HWC and nutmeg. More protein, more fat and it would be an amazing low carb eggnog!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    dmariet116 wrote: »
    Sounds yummy! Maybe add an egg, some HWC and nutmeg. More protein, more fat and it would be an amazing low carb eggnog!

Fantastic idea. I have all of those, and am going to give it a go in the morning. I'll report back on how it comes up.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Droooool...
  • Majcolorado
    Majcolorado Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to hearing how it sticks with you as a meal replacement. Sounds incredible as a recovery drink!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Looking forward to hearing how it sticks with you as a meal replacement. Sounds incredible as a recovery drink!

That's exactly what I plan on using it for. I've been eating at a strong deficit for so long, that switching over to a higher caloric intake for heavy lifting is going to suck. Therefore, I realize that I'll be needing to pull at least one meal from liquid, lest I end up hating life.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Great stuff, folks!

FYI, here's the report on Isopure from Labdoor's protein supplements roundup.
    Labdoor confirms the representations of no sugar, though it measured slightly less protein than labeled.
    https://labdoor.com/report/natures-best-zero-carb-isopure
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Great stuff, folks!

FYI, here's the report on Isopure from Labdoor's protein supplements roundup.
    Labdoor confirms the representations of no sugar, though it measured slightly less protein than labeled.
    https://labdoor.com/report/natures-best-zero-carb-isopure

Yeap, Labdoor's examination is why I settled on IP. It's the only true ZC that ranks anywhere near that high in efficacy. Their protein reading is actually pretty good for the industry too. Seriously, there are some that are so low, that it doesn't even make sense how they're allowed to sell the *kitten* without being sued.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Perfect. Thanks for saving me the effort!

The protein level is fine, and since it's ZC, no harm in taking in a little more, if it matters.

Some of the protein products Labdoor reviewed are true sugar bombs. For example, GNC's Pro Performance AMP Amplified Mass XXX has a whopping 21g (!) of sugar per serving. (It's one of 5 of 77 Labdoor rated "F", short for... well.....) I'd want to see insulin as an ingredient in that cocktail.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Perfect. Thanks for saving me the effort!

The protein level is fine, and since it's ZC, no harm in taking in a little more, if it matters.

Some of the protein products Labdoor reviewed are true sugar bombs. For example, GNC's Pro Performance AMP Amplified Mass XXX has a whopping 21g (!) of sugar per serving. (It's one of 5 of 77 Labdoor rated "F", short for... well.....) I'd want to see insulin as an ingredient in that cocktail.

I bet more than a few lifters would be extra happy to use it if insulin was added. Better gainz. LOL
  • dmariet116
    Options
    dmariet116 wrote: »

Fantastic idea. I have all of those, and am going to give it a go in the morning. I'll report back on how it comes up.

Woohoo! Looking forward to seeing how you liked it! I may have to try some! This would be an amazing lunch option for me. Especially on days I just can't eat another piece of meat or cheese! Lol!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    So, reporting back in with the morning's additions:

24 ounces Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
    2 scoops Isopure Zero Carb Creamy Vanilla Protein
    2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
    1 Large Egg
    1 Tbsp HWC
    0.5 Tablespoon Lite Salt
    0.5 Teaspoon ground Cinnamon
    0.25 Teaspoon ground Nutmeg

It required a little more time with the immersion blender this go around, obviously. That being said, it still came out with a great (and slightly thicker this time) consistency.

669 kcal, 6g carbs (4g Fiber), 47g Fat, 69 g Protein

The absolute best way that I could describe how this came out, is tasting like liquid Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Fortunately for me, that cereal is one of the only kinds that I actually enjoyed, and would still eat, if not for the fact of what it's made of. I'm definitely a fan, and thank you very much dmariet, for the suggestions.

Over the coming days, I am going to tool around with the ratios and bit, and see how it shakes out. All in all, definitely a winner.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Also, if anyone else has any suggestions, I am perfectly fine with being the community guinea pig on this one.

I also have 3 lbs. of Dutch Chocolate powder from Isopure, if there's any ideas for that one. It's not zero carb, but it's not completely terrible either (3g total, 2g fiber).
  • dmariet116
    Options
    Cinnamon Toast Crunch, huh? That sounds good! Lol! Was expecting an eggnog flavor, but that is awesome!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Adding egg tends to just make things creamy, like a custard. It's the spices that make it taste like anything else, @dmariet116 ... It's kind of funny that the best "pumpkin pie" flavor rarely has pumpkin it in - it's the spice blend, etc. Many things are very very similar.

@Gallowmere1984 - I was wondering if you have any flavor extracts - to make something like how they do with the Herbalife shakes - add butterscotch or caramel extract, or homemade pudding mix, or something to achieve many different but barely sweetened combinations?
  • dmariet116
    Options
    I remember using a vanilla meal replacement back in the day that had a recipe to blend with crushed ice and diet root beer that did taste somewhat like a root beer float! It was a horrible vitamin flavored vanilla and I remember I couldn't choke it down any other way! Haha!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Also, if anyone else has any suggestions, I am perfectly fine with being the community guinea pig on this one.

I also have 3 lbs. of Dutch Chocolate powder from Isopure, if there's any ideas for that one. It's not zero carb, but it's not completely terrible either (3g total, 2g fiber).

Hmm. Garlic, beet greens, asparagus, and ... catnip?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Hmm. Garlic, beet greens, asparagus, and ... catnip?

I said guinea pig, not...oh wait, I see what you did there.
  • Cyndi146
    Cyndi146 Posts: 411 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Have convinced my kids (teens & young adults) to go LC with me this summer and their biggest complaint is that they miss cereal (yes, the sugary kind). Will have to try this as a special treat for them! Thanks for the info!