I graduated today!

Options
tomii13
tomii13 Posts: 105 Member
Woohoo! I didn't officially run 5k - yet - but I'll be getting there. Still have time to practice and am a heck of a lot more than when I started. So, all in all, I feel successful.

Now I'm preparing for my first 5K event.

My question is: how do you prepare? My run is at 8am. I usually run in the evening after I've eaten all day. I'm not good running if I have eaten something within the last hour but I do need something in my stomach to have a decent run.

Since it's my first official 5K run, I'll probably me nervous and excited. Any tips on what to do or not do?

Do you avoid any particular food? Or eat any particular food to prepare? I know it's just a silly 5K. But, it's my first time!

Do they usually have bathrooms around the course? lol what if I gotta go?! I know it's a silly question but hey, the more I know the better prepared I'll be :)

be easy on me, it's my first 5k event.

Replies

• fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    One of the best things I can tell you is to do some active stretches beforehand (lunges, etc), and jog a bit, especially given that it's first thing in the morning, it's good to make sure that everything has, um, jiggled around and your system isn't going to surprise you in any way.

I usually have peanut butter toast and coffee in the am, so that's my typical go-to foods, just leave yourself a couple of hours if you can before the race, and don't have anything that is outside of the norm for you.

Make sure that you have your clothes, shoes, chapstick, watch, etc all spread out and ready for you to jump into them come morning!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    YIPPEE!!CONGRATS!
  • shelleycolton
    shelleycolton Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Well done, :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Drink some water. I usually drink coffee too but I can never eat. Make sure you get carbs the night before. Pee before the race starts. There will be porta potties. Make sure you leave enough time to park and make it to the race site. I had to jog a mile to my 10k because they had the roads closed off for the race.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    And congratulations on completing the program! That is wonderful!
  • tomii13
    Options
    thanks everyone! and thanks for the tips too. I will be sure to keep it in mind :)
  • CogitoErgoSum2
    CogitoErgoSum2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! :bigsmile:
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    First, let me say congratulations!!! I'm so excited for you!

- Start hydrating now. Even if your race is more than a week away.
    - Don't wear anything new that you haven't tested out by running in it before. And don't wear cotton. Lay it out the night before.
    - Just eat as you normally would, again don't try anything new the night before or for breakfast. Have coffee, if you are a coffee drinker. The caffeine actually helps me. I'm not a morning person! LOL! I love peanut (or soy) butter on wheat toast as my pre-race food. It is the perfect light combo of carbs and protein. Just make sure you eat it a least an hour before the race.
    -If possible, and if you think it will make you feel better, scout out the course and even run it a week or so before the actual race.
    -Taper off the week of the race. Lighten up the intensity of your runs. Go into the race well rested. Some people like a short fast run the day before, but I usually take a rest day so I feel fresh and raring to go.
    -That said, at the race, you should warm up just like you normally would before running. Walk for 5mins, then slow jog a bit. Then stretch. (Never stretch cold.) Try to time it so you finish just before line up. It won't make you to tired or use up energy you need for the race, it will just help feel good you start off smoothly.
    -Get to the race early allowing yourself to find where you need to be, and plenty of time to sign in if necessary. And so that you have time to go to the bathroom one last time and warm up.
    - BIGGEST TIP: Run your own race. THIS IS SO IMPORTANT! In the line up try to group yourself with runners of similar ability, so you don't get forced out to fast. Don't get carried away and run a pace that is too fast right at the beginning. Some races have start corrals that group runners by average pace. Know yours and stick with it. You will be excited and the adrenaline will be flowing, but don't burn out in the beginning. The goal in your first race is to finish strong.
    -Don't stop just across the finish line. Other runners may be coming in behind you. Clear out of their way. Also it's good to keep walking to cool down. There will be refreshments most likely fruit and water or gatorade. The best races give you chocolate milk. The perfect post-run food in my opinion! Bring your own sports drink if you like. Don't forget to stretch.

Mostly, just enjoy it! This is your first race! You will achieve a personal best no matter what you do! Happy running!!! :-)
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on graduating! That's exciting news and I'm sure you're totally stoked.

I don't have any advice on running a 5K. I haven't entered my first race yet. But I'll be watching to see how you do. You'll do great!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

- Don't wear anything new that you haven't tested out by running in it before. And don't wear cotton. Lay it out the night before.
    - Just eat as you normally would, again don't try anything new the night before or for breakfast. Have coffee, if you are a coffee drinker. The caffeine actually helps me. I'm not a morning person! LOL! I love peanut (or soy) butter on wheat toast as my pre-race food. It is the perfect light combo of carbs and protein. Just make sure you eat it a least an hour before the race.
    -If possible, and if you think it will make you feel better, scout out the course and even run it a week or so before the actual race.
    -Taper off the week of the race. Lighten up the intensity of your runs. Go into the race well rested. Some people like a short fast run the day before, but I usually take a rest day so I feel fresh and raring to go.
    -That said, at the race, you should warm up just like you normally would before running. Walk for 5mins, then slow jog a bit. Then stretch. (Never stretch cold.) Try to time it so you finish just before line up. It won't make you to tired or use up energy you need for the race, it will just help feel good you start off smoothly.
    -Get to the race early allowing yourself to find where you need to be, and plenty of time to sign in if necessary. And so that you have time to go to the bathroom one last time and warm up.
    - BIGGEST TIP: Run your own race. THIS IS SO IMPORTANT! In the line up try to group yourself with runners of similar ability, so you don't get forced out to fast. Don't get carried away and run a pace that is too fast right at the beginning. Some races have start corrals that group runners by average pace. Know yours and stick with it. You will be excited and the adrenaline will be flowing, but don't burn out in the beginning. The goal in your first race is to finish strong.
    -Don't stop just across the finish line. Other runners may be coming in behind you. Clear out of their way. Also it's good to keep walking to cool down. There will be refreshments most likely fruit and water or gatorade. The best races give you chocolate milk. The perfect post-run food in my opinion! Bring your own sports drink if you like. Don't forget to stretch.

Mostly, just enjoy it! This is your first race! You will achieve a personal best no matter what you do! Happy running!!! :-)

Thank you for writing out such a great response to the OP. I've done ten 5Ks over the past couple years but I've walked them with maybe some short running intervals thrown in. I'm running my first 5K in just under a month and this info really helps.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Good luck, Lepert! If you need a friend, send me a request. :-)
    By the way, I love your ticker photo!
  • tomii13
    Options

This was fantastic! Thank you so much for all these great tips! Extremely helpful
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Good luck, Lepert! If you need a friend, send me a request. :-)
    By the way, I love your ticker photo!

Request sent! And that's my crazy family. :)