Stress and BG number

Options
Sweets1954
Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
My father passed away recently and since then my BG numbers have risen dramatically. Can stress cause this and how long does it last?

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    That's a great question. I can't begin to answer it, but I have a couple ideas from what I've heard from others.

I understand that cortisol is produced by the adrenal gland when you're in stressful situations and tends to stimulate glucose production. (It also rises in most people as you're getting close to waking in the morning, thus it's a factor in Dawn Phenomenon.)

I don't know whether long-term stress causes chronic elevation in cortisol or similar hormones (such as human growth hormone, HGH), but there are ways to treat get cortisol under control. I believe it's Cushing's disease that involves chronically high cortisol, and it's treatable medically. If you have good insurance, it might be worth checking your levels.

If you've been faithfully logging your food intake, you might compare your diet and see if you've taking in more carbs and/or calories recently, as carb levels that might not have been a problem earlier could be too much for your system now.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you lost your father. :(
  • JaneKnoll1
    JaneKnoll1 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    In our diabetic class when I first got diagnosed, the nurse said that stress and lack of proper sleep will raise your sugar..also if you are sick, infection, too hot and I forget what else...seems it's easily affected.
    I am so sorry for your loss...hang in there. MFP is a very supportive place.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    ^This. That must be really hard on you right now! :flowerforyou:
    JaneKnoll1 wrote: »
    In our diabetic class when I first got diagnosed, the nurse said that stress and lack of proper sleep will raise your sugar..also if you are sick, infection, too hot and I forget what else...seems it's easily affected.
    I can understand that, especially when it comes to illness/infection. When I was hospitalized with MRSA, they literally replaced all of my food and water with insulin.
  • JaneKnoll1
    Options
    zcb94 wrote: »
    ^This. That must be really hard on you right now! :flowerforyou:
    I can understand that, especially when it comes to illness/infection. When I was hospitalized with MRSA, they literally replaced all of my food and water with insulin.

ACK!!!! MRSA! Hope you are all better and it's behind you now!!!

Judy I hope you are feeling ok today too!!!!
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I'm beginning to think it may be a combination of poor eating, lack of sleep and stress. I'm struggling to get back on track!
  • JaneKnoll1
    Options
    You can do it!!!!! Get up everyday and say to yourself "I can do this"
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Sweets1954 wrote: »
    Thank you all. I'm beginning to think it may be a combination of poor eating, lack of sleep and stress. I'm struggling to get back on track!

Poor eating?
  • missdonielle
    missdonielle Posts: 15 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hi! My name is Donielle. I'm a Paraeducator here in my areas school district and a T2 Diabetic. I love, love, love my job !! But, with all the stresses that go along with my profession, working with students having special needs, I find it hard to pass by goodies in the staff room, classroom, or buy myself a sugary snack just to calm my stress a bit. Chocolate is my go to-feel good snack when under stress. I do carry nuts or a protein bar with me, but the goodies can be so tempting!
    So, with said, between no-no snacks during the workdays and water weight gained from my Fibromyalgia medicine, Lyrica, I've gained 20 lbs. this past school year.
    With the help of myfitnesspal, logging in each day's meal items, and exercise, I've been able to loose some lbs! But, I've got a ways to go. Would like to loose 50 lbs. That would get me somewhat near my goal weight.
  • JaneKnoll1
    Options
    Hi! My name is Donielle. I'm a Paraeducator here in my areas school district and a T2 Diabetic. I love, love, love my job !! But, with all the stresses that go along with my profession, working with students having special needs, I find it hard to pass by goodies in the staff room, classroom, or buy myself a sugary snack just to calm my stress a bit. Chocolate is my go to-feel good snack when under stress. I do carry nuts or a protein bar with me, but the goodies can be so tempting!
    So, with said, between no-no snacks during the workdays and water weight gained from my Fibromyalgia medicine, Lyrica, I've gained 20 lbs. this past school year.
    With the help of myfitnesspal, logging in each day's meal items, and exercise, I've been able to loose some lbs! But, I've got a ways to go. Would like to loose 50 lbs. That would get me somewhat near my goal weight.
    Welcome!!! You can do it!! Just one step at a time and a trick I use is that no food is off limits. It's easier to keep on track with an 80/20 attitude..80% time is healthy eating but 20% allows for life events such as birthdays, parties, treats etc..the biggest trick is eating, enjoying and then getting right back on the healthy train. I have lost 75-76lbs depending on the day and have been maintaining for a few months now. Also T2D diagnosed in April 2015. Cheering for you!!!
  • CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Good for you, Tess. It ain't easy, but you can do it.
  • JaneKnoll1
    Options
    Great start!!! Always tell your self that you can do it and you will!! You will feel so much better!!! Cheers for the better blood sugar numbers!! AWESOME!
  • RalfLott
    edited October 2016
    Options
    .... a trick I use is that no food is off limits. It's easier to keep on track with an 80/20 attitude..80% time is healthy eating but 20% allows for life events such as birthdays, parties, treats etc..the biggest trick is eating, enjoying and then getting right back on the healthy train. I have lost 75-76lbs depending on the day and have been maintaining for a few months now. Also T2D diagnosed in April 2015. Cheering for you!!!

Whatever works best for you!

We're all our own science projects - consistent meter use (5x-10x daily) until you know your patterns, I believe, is the only way to see the whole elephant.

I can imagine an 80/20 rule working for some people, but for this old dog, it's at most 99/1 - if it a quacks like a Dorito or an Oreo, it's in the same category as Drano or a bucket of sewage! So there are thousands of foods that are completely off-limits for me - as poison - and therefore I don't have the slightest urge to touch them, since no internal debating about whether right now falls into the 80 (vs. the 20) or 99 (vs.1) even gets off the ground.

Yeah, it's boring in the moment, but as a T2D and recovering carb addict, I figure the same principle applies to recovering from carb addiction as alcoholism - moderation tends to be a gateway to relapse......

elephantblindmen.jpg

• JaneKnoll1
    Options
    How is your blood sugar now and A1C Ralf? Best wishes to you! Yes I agree and whilst I was losing weight i couldn't tolerate as many carbs as I can now. Not by a great deal but once I started running and swimming and strength training and I had lost my weight I find I can eat more carbs without too much problem. Certain things I can't touch..I try and it's still no good and one of them...breaks my heart is white flour anything. White rice and pasta (even high fiber high protein pasta) is problematic but it's ok! Most everything I can eat for now....not sure if I can always because if I stop being able to produce as much insulin or resistance gets worse...
    Everyone's journey is different although we have the pancreas problem commonality
  • tess77h
    tess77h Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Went to another doctor yesterday and he explained how to determine how much insulin to use depending on what I was going to eat. No one had ever explained this to me, I should not have declined the diabetes education classes, lol. He gave me a book on counting carbs and we discussed the lows I've been having the past 30 days. Hopefully I can use these guidelines to see those low B.S. but not experience a low reaction. I'll be seeing a dietician soon also and get into the next round of education classes.
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    tess77h wrote: »
    Went to another doctor yesterday and he explained how to determine how much insulin to use depending on what I was going to eat. No one had ever explained this to me, I should not have declined the diabetes education classes, lol. He gave me a book on counting carbs and we discussed the lows I've been having the past 30 days. Hopefully I can use these guidelines to see those low B.S. but not experience a low reaction. I'll be seeing a dietician soon also and get into the next round of education classes.

I took every education class that was offered. I'm not on insulin, but will be soon. I will be having surgery on my pancreas soon to put an end to chronic pancreatitis as well as fistulas that are just plain annoying, and sometimes very painful. After that, I will be on insulin.
    Once that happens, I will see the diabetic nurse as well as the dietician at the local Canadian Diabetes Assoc.
    Good luck in your journey Tess.
  • JaneKnoll1
    Options
    Good luck both Tess and Judy!!! Cheering and rooting for you both!!!!
  • tess77h
    tess77h Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Fasting blood sugar this morning was 168. Don't understand why because it was 124 at bedtime. ?? :( Success at controlling the diabetes and weight loss has a lot to do with a person's frame of mind. For years there was not symptoms so it was easy to not be concerned about it, diabetic problems were far in the future. Then I ignored the little warning signs that my blood sugar was not good, blurry vision blamed on aging, tingling in my feet, not too uncomfortable so no worries, irritability blamed on stressful job and family life, tiredness, thirst, etc....I just was not ready to make a change in my life, I love to eat and carbs are my favorites. Now I am really trying to watch my calories and my carbs. Its hard! But I've found I don't need all that stuff I have been eating to enjoy my food. My favorite breakfast sandwich tastes just as good, actually better, without the Miracle Whip! I had 25 M & Ms along with some almonds yesterday, not as satisfying as I thought it would be to eat the chocolate, especially when I had to record those carbs. I've only been at this seriously for 30 some days and I'm sure there is a day coming when I just totally blow it but my goal is to get right back at it with the next meal rather than thinking "what's the use...."