OMAD Basics: rule #9. Splurge day--how does this work for you? What are you eating on these days?

OMADing1
OMADing1 Posts: 337 Member
Hello Everyone!

I was going over Omad Basics thread and today is day 39 for me, tomorrow will make my 40th day! When I started Omad, I started with the intentions of doing this for 40 days--but all that has changed and I'll be Omading (as Bo-Bo says) for the rest of my life. My initial intentions were to eat only one meal a day (no cheating) and then on day 40 begin to exercise, nothing outrageous, just walking. Today I was looking over the basics and see that I have not been following the rules at all really. I've never had a "splurge day" at all--haven't really wanted one. I think as I pass the 40 day mark, I want to more closely follow the "basics" Joe as prescribe. All this to say, even though I've read what Joe wrote about a splurge day, I'm still not really getting it. Can you please share how you do your splurge day? What do you do? In all these 39 days, I've only had one meal per day and eaten my meal and dessert within one hour. Does your splurge day mean three meals a day for you? Again, how does it work for you and when and what are you eating on those days?

#9) Allow one splurge day per week. For this splurge, you will eat one meal or multiple throughout the day, but ignore the one-plate/one-beverage rules. Try not to gorge, but it’s ok if you do (generally, when you are more thirsty than hungry, you can stop eating). The splurge will push your metabolism into high gear and help to make up for any deficiencies. Vary your splurge days, but never have more than two splurge days back to back unless you are close to your goal weight.

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Replies

• arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    edited August 2016
    Well, you actually may not need one. Your level of devotion and inner-peace is somewhat unusual. Most struggle a bit more with the process. You've taken to it like a fish to water from what I've been reading, and with that said, if you don't feel any need to cut loose or aren't experiencing any issues with losses, there may not be a need to.

My initial splurges (for the first six months, anyway) were just un-topped meals (OMAD meals with no plate limits or beverage restrictions) and could include sugary stuff and chips and salsa if, say, at a Mexican restaurant, for example. They could also include alcoholic drinks and nights of lying around and just unwinding. But they weren't "go crazy and gorge" days. As I became more physically active, I still rarely strayed from the OMAD platform, but went with larger meals.

In maintenance - and now as I seek to continue building muscle - the splurge day is weekly and consists of eating about twice a day or just grazing throughout to get lots and lots of protein, fats, and sugars for longer, more grueling workouts (tends to be Saturday or Sunday for me). But I really don't care for them--I miss the simple days of the mental peace and calm that came with standard OMAD!

In short, the splurge day is there for you. It may mean sometimes celebrating or it may mean letting your mind and body go for a day at a period when you experience a weight-loss plateau (yes, sometimes splurging breaks plateaus). It is there for you, but it doesn't HAVE to be used in all cases.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    I've been meaning to ask about this, I've done two splurge days and not really enjoyed them! I have another planned for Monday but that's because I'm spending the day with friends and liable to be hungover. As eating one meal a day seems to be working well for me I think I'm going to reserve splurge days for times when there's going to be social eating or I'm feeling unwell (or hungover!)
  • Fumpydink
    Fumpydink Posts: 49 Member
    Yeah I have done one and tbh it wasn't that enjoyable. I learnt something from the splurge day about how I would structure it in the future (i.e. Actually structure it) and I believe they are very useful tools. My problem is today I found it hard to get back into my stride. I ended up eating in a 4 hour window as I was hungrier earlier than usual. I think I probably didn't need one, and perhaps should have spent more time getting into the groove given that the 1st week of OMAD was just getting my bearings. I think given that you've had a really good run of OMAD (go you!!) might be worth giving your body a little break if you feel like it. I always found a good old fashioned diet break revved up weight loss for me when everything had slowed down so i might keep a splurge for that or if I just really want one.

Next OMAD i think I will do 2-3 proper meals instead of grazing.
  • OMADing1
    edited August 2016
    Well, you actually may not need one. Your level of devotion and inner-peace is somewhat unusual. Most struggle a bit more with the process. You've taken to it like a fish to water from what I've been reading, and with that said, if you don't feel any need to cut loose or aren't experiencing any issues with losses, there may not be a need to.

My initial splurges (for the first six months, anyway) were just un-topped meals (OMAD meals with no plate limits or beverage restrictions) and could include sugary stuff and chips and salsa if, say, at a Mexican restaurant, for example. They could also include alcoholic drinks and nights of lying around and just unwinding. But they weren't "go crazy and gorge" days. As I became more physically active, I still rarely strayed from the OMAD platform, but went with larger meals.

In maintenance - and now as I seek to continue building muscle - the splurge day is weekly and consists of eating about twice a day or just grazing throughout to get lots and lots of protein, fats, and sugars for longer, more grueling workouts (tends to be Saturday or Sunday for me). But I really don't care for them--I miss the simple days of the mental peace and calm that came with standard OMAD!

In short, the splurge day is there for you. It may mean sometimes celebrating or it may mean letting your mind and body go for a day at a period when you experience a weight-loss plateau (yes, sometimes splurging breaks plateaus). It is there for you, but it doesn't HAVE to be used in all cases.

Thank you ever so very much Joe for this reply, so encouraging--such GOOD, no make that GREAT news this Omad is and this reply is!!!!

Well goodness, I guess I have been having "splurge days" I just haven't called them that. I've been going out to Mexican Restaurants a few times (and am going tonight too) and having my favorite Cheese Enchildas and chips and salsa, because I'm purposely switching up on carbs, going low (20% or less) and once or twice a week purposely going over my carb count and I've been calling it my "high carb day". So this is just extra cool, because I've also been purposely trying to stay a bit under my cals and if I go over, not too extreme (I think I just went over once or twice in the entire 40 days), but now I so have something to look forward to---YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, you could NOT have said it better about the "simple days and THE MENTAL PEACE AND CALM" that comes with Omad. I have NEVER been so peaceful, so calm, so stress-free really ever (or at least before having children :* ) as I do Omading. No fuss, No muss, NO STRESS, nothing but peace and calm as you say and I'm so glad, just thrilled doing Omad!!!!!!!!!!!
  • OMADing1
    I've been meaning to ask about this, I've done two splurge days and not really enjoyed them! I have another planned for Monday but that's because I'm spending the day with friends and liable to be hungover. As eating one meal a day seems to be working well for me I think I'm going to reserve splurge days for times when there's going to be social eating or I'm feeling unwell (or hungover!)

B)
  • OMADing1
    Fumpydink wrote: »
    Yeah I have done one and tbh it wasn't that enjoyable. I learnt something from the splurge day about how I would structure it in the future (i.e. Actually structure it) and I believe they are very useful tools. My problem is today I found it hard to get back into my stride. I ended up eating in a 4 hour window as I was hungrier earlier than usual. I think I probably didn't need one, and perhaps should have spent more time getting into the groove given that the 1st week of OMAD was just getting my bearings. I think given that you've had a really good run of OMAD (go you!!) might be worth giving your body a little break if you feel like it. I always found a good old fashioned diet break revved up weight loss for me when everything had slowed down so i might keep a splurge for that or if I just really want one.

Next OMAD i think I will do 2-3 proper meals instead of grazing.

Isn't it terrific learning and trying new things to get to our goal on Omad, with very little fuss and muss?!?

• arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Best advice I can give with regard to splurge days: Plan them around very special occasions because too much of a need for them to roll around again is an indication that they are overstaying their welcome!
  • Fumpydink
    Fumpydink Posts: 49 Member
    Thanks guys, I think am going to have to give them a miss for a while, I was still really struggling today. I was bugging my husband about getting my dinner ready (his turn to cook) poor thing got harrassed a bit! And then three hours later I ate ice cream so not doing great today.
  • susieqpatti126
    susieqpatti126 Posts: 8 Member
    I've not done well on my splurge days because I've not used them for the right reasons. Instead they have been almost a binge, and then the next day I find it hard to break that urge to eat without discipline again. So I do think they are a good idea for those days when you are travelling or on holidays etc. and, as Joe mentions, to perhaps break a plateau. But you do have to be aware of the emotions behind it all, and if you are just looking forward to eating everything in sight, then it is an emotional decision versus a practical one, and that won't make us happy in the long run.
  • OMADing1
    I really appreciate this message Joe posted yesterday on youtube...I think it totally relates to this subject of splurge days--at least it does for me:

https://youtu.be/kE_JHqwqqdE
  • OMADing1
    newmeadow wrote: »
    edampu wrote: »
    I really appreciate this message Joe posted yesterday on youtube...I think it totally relates to this subject of splurge days--at least it does for me:

https://youtu.be/kE_JHqwqqdE

I could really relate to the dysfunctional categories. Joe explains it wonderfully and I'm, as usual, inspired to keep improving and to stay very vigilant.

I'm so GLAD you're inspired. I'm cheering you on pal!!!!
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    edited September 2016
    Oh wow! this video posted by Joe is so clear and makes so much sense to me. It covers everything that is important for us to know.

I think that I now understand so much better about Celebratory Eating - a social bonding activity that helps to build relationships between people.

This is sometimes desirable or even necessary to build friendships but is not sustainable as a habit.

Thank you so much. :smiley: )
  • OMADing1
    Abm4n wrote: »
    Oh wow! this video posted by Joe is so clear and makes so much sense to me. It covers everything that is important for us to know.

I think that I now understand so much better about Celebratory Eating - a social bonding activity that helps to build relationships between people.

This is sometimes desirable or even necessary to build friendships but is not sustainable as a habit.

Thank you so much. :smiley: )

You're so very welcomed. I'm So GLAD you're encouraged and starting OMAD again, it's truly nothing less than amazing to me how eating just one meal a day, can give one so much energy, focus and such dramatic changes in just about every area of one's life--especially mentally--wow! We've been trained that more is better, but since becoming an "OMADer", I now appreciate the old saying of "less is more" for me, it truly is!

Here's another of Joe's videos that inspired me to NO end:

https://youtu.be/H9Elw-Z9Ers

Check it out!!!!