Water

Options
genmon00
genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
Hello All,

Soo this week was kind of odd for me with increased hunger, PMS like symptoms (although shark week was the week before and was very short/light) and no desire to drink water. It was 3-4 days like this and it was very baffling to me. Now, I did not gain this week or lose any weight which is not a concern to me but I did not like the crazy hunger I felt. I wonder if it was related to not drinking water? I really want to learn to distinguish what is real hunger from craving vs thrist. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Replies

• RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I always drink crazy amounts of water each day. Yesterday I was starving all day and ate myself about 500 cals over. But that's the first time that ever happened. I firmly believe that drinking more water helps keep my hunger at bay.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I always ask myself "am I hungry for a certain food or taste? Or will I be happy to eat whatever is available?" If my answer is specific, that I am wanting salty or sweet or to eat the new cheese I just bought at the store and other things aren't appealing, I figure it's a craving and not hunger. If it's a salty craving, I usually grab a few pumpkin seeds or a couple Pink or Celtic salt crystals and let them dissolve one by one. It typically helps take care of that. I used to go to almonds for this, but it was too hard to not over do those. I found he pumpkin seeds are great for that because it's too hard to binge eat them.
  • genmon00
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    I always drink crazy amounts of water each day. Yesterday I was starving all day and ate myself about 500 cals over. But that's the first time that ever happened. I firmly believe that drinking more water helps keep my hunger at bay.

For some reason, I just didnt want water but now Im forcing myself to drink it LOL. And my "hunger" went back to normal. So I think it was thrist not true hunger. :)
  • genmon00
    Options
    I found he pumpkin seeds are great for that because it's too hard to binge eat them.

Thats a great idea! Pepitas (chili flavored pumpkin seeds) are available everywhere here so i might pick some up today!
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    genmon00 wrote: »
    I found he pumpkin seeds are great for that because it's too hard to binge eat them.

Thats a great idea! Pepitas (chili flavored pumpkin seeds) are available everywhere here so i might pick some up today!

Chili flavored pumpkin seeds sounds awesome. I've never seen here but I bet I can find a recipe online! Thanks for the idea!!
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    My body often confuses thirst for hunger. If I know I "shouldn't" be hungry right now, I'll drink some water and see if it goes away in 10-15 minutes. If the hunger doesn't go away, then I'll listen to the cravings and eat something.
  • genmon00
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm really trying to understand real hunger vs something else. Prior to LCHF, I was a constant snacker. I was obsessed with volume, even on low carb.The difference then was I was 9 years younger and exercising on a daily basis. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of 2 hours of free time everyday to be at the gym now. I'm also interning with a hospice agency and home health care so I see of older people struggling with their poor health, lack of mobility, etc and I do not want to end up like that and I will do my best to take care of my health.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @genmon00 - nothing like that dose of reality to really help you focus, eh?