Dealing with Tempting Carb Foods served in Public/at Events

Options
KETOGENICGURL
KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
YIKES...My NEMISIS!! FRESH HOT POPCORN..wafting thru the room.... a big bowl with cute popcorn sacks piled on top for all was served at my 1st 'pain group' meeting today.

I forget what most people go thru in public, or at work with food exposure!!!! Because I'm retired I rarely experience how hard others have it with daily social activity.

It brought home how traditional 'host' expectations contribute to "snacking' that no one needs. A recent Dr. Fung interview covered just refusing this extra food/extra calories (Low Carb USA in San Diego)

The handsome guy sitting next to me, politely offered me a bag of the popcorn before he took one...talk about temptation! Smelling it, and hearing their enjoyment was tough.

Giving up this one food (popcorn) recently was a final step in acknowledging I have to stay VLC all the time, no diversions if I want to lose.

This is a 6 week course on Dealing with Chronic Pain..one of the "tools" you get from the Stanford-based program is FOOD choices for anti-inflammation/pain reduction, etc. But every time I attend these courses they always serve JUNK..this time at least they had a small raw veggie plate... progress!!!

I decided to ignore the big boxes of chunky chock chip cookies (handsome guy ate 3!) I will rise above this 6 week test by planning ahead, eating before the class, bringing my own food if needed.

Replies

• anewlifeat40
    anewlifeat40 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Bring a baggie with pepperjack moon cheese and salty roasted macadamia nuts to snack on... That's what I have when my son is eating chips and popcorn at home...
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    :smiley: Woohoo! Popcorn is hard to pass up when it smells so good. Way to go!!!
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Yeah, I make popcorn here for the fam....I can't tell you how many kernels I've had to spit out from tossing the wayward ones into my former cake hole. Maybe I should suck the butter off them first! :D

Oh...I'm a stay at homer...I don't get stuck much without an alternate food. I have been to parties....I like the bring your own food option.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Ferreal though, whenever I get some sort of unnatural feeling craving, I just eat an Atkins bar. They curb my hunger for at least a couple of hours
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Funny timing on reading this as I just got back from the movies where I sit between my daughter and husband and hold the popcorn! Luckily popcorn isn't my thing so no temptation!
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Typical buffet food spread laid on at work every week or two for birthdays and people coming and going. As a teacher I am expected to join in! It's all very delicious but basically fried, boiled and sweetened carbs, carbs, carbs.
  • Abm4n
    Options
  • Abm4n
    Options
    Sorry, should have had a trigger alert for carb addicts.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    @Abm4n - That's quite a mouthful!

Nice kaleidoscope of colors, in contrast to the predominantly earth-toned carb dishes at the hog trough of my most gluttonous former workplace.

I think I see a solitary salad waiting for suitors, so perhaps it's not a total bust!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    I can't tell you how many kernels I've had to spit out from tossing the wayward ones into my former cake hole. Maybe I should suck the butter off them first!

Hahahaaa! :D

(Recovering) WTH is wayward popcorn?
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is my kryptonite. It's the one carb I let myself enjoy. My wife and I are big movie fans and when we go to the theatre we always have popcorn. I no longer have the diet pop and stick with club soda but I won't give up the popcorn. I have not found it to cause me any issues when I have it just once every few weeks.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    I can't tell you how many kernels I've had to spit out from tossing the wayward ones into my former cake hole. Maybe I should suck the butter off them first!

@RalfLott
    Wayward popcorns are those little guys that leap from the butter/salt bowl tossing fiasco. They are renegade popcorns. Kamikaze some might say....I used to punish their wayward ways by viciously eating them.

HENCEFORTH I SHALL DELIBERATELY STRIP THEM OF THEIR SALTY, BUTTERY GOODNESS AND LEAVE THEIR MISFIT SOGGY BODIES IN THE WASTE LAND OF THE TRASH! MUAH HAHAHAHAHA!

Noooooooo, @SuperCarLori, don't leave me to rot with the candy corn and hot dog buns! Nooooo..........

PS Like the new photo! What kind of corpse is that on your head?
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options

@RalfLott
    Wayward popcorns are those little guys that leap from the butter/salt bowl tossing fiasco. They are renegade popcorns. Kamikaze some might say....I used to punish their wayward ways by viciously eating them.

HENCEFORTH I SHALL DELIBERATELY STRIP THEM OF THEIR SALTY, BUTTERY GOODNESS AND LEAVE THEIR MISFIT SOGGY BODIES IN THE WASTE LAND OF THE TRASH! MUAH HAHAHAHAHA!

Noooooooo, @SuperCarLori, don't leave me to rot with the candy corn and hot dog buns! Nooooo..........

That's that pooch I screwed...
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I have a perhaps different approach. If I get to the point where I really want something that is high in carbs...what ever it is I have it. I have a small amount. For example my wife wanted to go for ice cream and I decided to have some too. Now I could eat the biggest freaking ice cream they had BUT, I had a baby cone. That did the trick. I dont give in often but sometimes.....And as far as popcorn goes I like it too. A while ago I had some. I chewed it and took all the flavor and the spit out the rest. Gross right? But it satisfied my craving/desire.
  • RalfLott
    Options

@RalfLott

That's that pooch I screwed...

woof woof! Gotta appreciate your candor.

You do look mighty happy in that photo, I must say!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    I work in an Italian kitchen. I have not got the choice but to taste the food before it goes out. I have the habit now, chew, spit and rinse. Everyone thinks it is gross but ya do what ya gotta do right!

Bravissimo! That's fortitude.