Losing 20 lbs or less

Options
ElysiumB
ElysiumB Posts: 4 Member
I am a life long lurker of any discussion based stuff, but I don't *think* I have seen a thread recently regarding "smaller" people who are doing Keto to lose 10-20 lbs. I am 5'4, 145 lbs, F, 31 y/o. I have gone off and on this WOE a few times, maxing out at about a month of strict Keto, with maybe a month of LC added on. Really have only lost the 5-6 lbs of water weight (gained back of course the second I ate fries).
Has anyone had success with this WOE, with only 20 or so initial pounds to lose? I know the smaller you are the harder it is to lose. I have restarted this recently, would like to be SUCCESSFUL and get down to maybe 130-125 again. Let me know! XO!

Replies

• camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7" and lost about 11 kg (24lbs) over about a year and a half doing low carb (not always keto)... the key for me was intermittent fasting and low calorie intake around 1200-1300/day, I think. I am maintaining on around 1450 cals per day--some of us have that slow metabolism :( My diary is open.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I lost 23 lbs doing keto. So all the weight loss happened in the first three months for me. Then I am not in a period of recomposition.

My diary is open.

Add me if you'd like!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and started at 165. I lost 30 pounds within the first 6 months and I'm 15 months in now maintaining my weight within a 5 pound range. I do want to lose close to 10 more or whatever it takes to get rid of a bit more belly fat. The funny thing is that even though I haven't lost any more weight in a very long time, I have gotten smaller and had to buy new clothes. And my photos show the belly is going away, despite the pounds not following.
    So if you can make this a lifestyle, you will get the body you're wanting regardless of what the scale says eventually. I'm fine with that because I intend to stay Keto for life anyway.
    If I were more aggressive with seeing those last pounds come off I would add exercise, but I'm not really a big fan... :wink:
  • Riche120
    Riche120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 5'4" and down 16 pounds since the end of May. I started at 147 and am now 131. I have a really petite frame and will probably need to lose another 10 lbs before I have much of a waist line or lose the big butt. I lost the same 5 pounds over and over, but this is the first time that I've tried to lose and not been miserable. This WOE has been the easiest.

I'm not strictly Keto all of the time because the odds of me sticking with it wouldn't be great. If I knew something was "forbidden" I'm the kind of person that would crave it relentlessly. I'm more "generally keto" but don't often go over 50 carbs. It gives me a little bit of wiggle room now and then. I am finding that the longer I stick with this way of eating, those foods that I missed in the beginning don't sound as appealing anymore.

I agree with Sunny_Bunny_ if I were to exercise more the weight would drop faster, but well, it's not going to happen any time soon
  • ElysiumB
    ElysiumB Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. That's helpful. I had a ROUGH transition back to Keto this time around- just losing the fake flu now, I think. Trying to be good, made my own LCHF dish for a potluck tomorrow! Working out, trying to maintain low carbs, and working' on some muscle groups! I hate cardio oh so much.
    Anyway, thank you. I know its very effective way to lose weight for so many people, but you don't hear of a lot of shorter , younger women who only need 15-20 to lose. Feel free to friend!
  • JennifrClaire
    JennifrClaire Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I want to lose another 20. Not keto, but low carb. I've been slipping alot lately and need to jump start this thing.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I'm just barely five foot tall, with no real bones to speak of, and I lost 25 pounds in 13 weeks and have kept off it off for a year, hovering in the 103-106 pound range. I follow a low carb WOE (just between you and me and 11,000 other board members, that keto thing gives me the creeps) without undue hunger or inconvenience.

One thing I've found is that once you've been on plan for, say, three or four months, you become very carb sensitive so that those fries hit like a bomb. Elsewhere I ran across a discussion of living low carb where the author said something like "whenever I resort to low carb eating" which means she's perpetually setting herself up for failure. I don't want to be negative but the reality of the thing is that you need to commit to the long term or find an alternative weight loss method.
  • missippibelle
    missippibelle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" as well. I am currently at 131, but I also have a very small frame and am very pear shaped. I need to lose 10 pounds to be at my best. I just started this woe from paleo off and on. I lost water weight initially, then gained a few pounds over where I started. Now I have started slowly going back down. I am trying to be patient with the process as well as tweak my daily calorie intake. I have been trying to get into a routine of WHAT I eat, then be more restrictive with the calories and work on hunger cues. I do feel so much better eating this way. GI issues are better for sure, and I am not nearly as hungry or obsessed with food. Any suggestions would be welcomed!
  • missippibelle
    Options
    question: Do you all count calories too? If so, what is your daily target?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    question: Do you all count calories too? If so, what is your daily target?

My target is 1500 NET - I am very active so I need fuel for my activities - but that being said, I sometimes go over and it's not the end of the world for me. For example, yesterday I went over because I had a huge ribeye steak with butter and prosecco. I'm not mad. It was delicious!
  • Zenwenner
    Zenwenner Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I keep an eye on calories but I don't let them rule anything. I've set my target at 1700 but if I go over, the worst that happens in MFP numbers turn red. My target is really hitting my 10% carb macro
  • missippibelle
    Options
    I have doing this woe for about 3 weeks. I am really happy with how I feel, have fewer GI issues, and I don't starve to death. I need to lose 10-12 pounds. I lost about 2 pounds right away, then gained 4. I have slowly lost 2 of them. I woke up today and "felt" smaller. Went to the scale and ...nothing. I am trying to be patient, but I know I am probably eating too much. I am in the process of recovering from a diagnosis with a rare vascular disorder in my feet. I wasn't able to exercise for a while (enter weight gain). I have medications that help control it now, and I have worked up to walking 15+ miles a week. I am working on increasing exercise, but when my body temp goes up, my feet can flare up, so it is a balancing act. I don't know how severe I should be in restricting calories since I can't work out like I use to a few years ago. FRUSTRATING. Any of you take a while to get losses started? I'm probably just eating too much. I tried to eat intuitively (not track) for a bit. I don't think that works for me.