Paranoid

Options
Ever since I started this WOE, I've become a lot more paranoid when I order my food. I need to watch the barista pour the heavy cream in my coffee so I can feel safe it's not half and half.

Tonight for dinner, I got so excited seeing ahi tuna and cauliflower mash on the menu, that by the time I finished devouring my plate.. I questioned if it really was cauliflower mash or just regular mashed potatoes!!

If it were really mashed potatoes, that's approximately another 100 grams of carbs. Putting me at almost 200g today. Is there a tell tale way of knowing you got kicked out of keto? Do you become bloated? Tired?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @LolaDeeDaisy23 - Honestly, I'd be inclined to think that the paranoia has more to do with other aspects of your life beyond your control (I know that's where it all started for ME). In my opinion, most eating disorders (not saying that's what's going on here AT ALL - just follow my thought here) BEGIN with things being out of control in our lives. Then, at some point, we realize that we CAN control what goes into our mouths or doesn't. We CAN CONTROL it...or so we think...

That being said, if you think your paranoia is beyond what you can tolerate, I'd talk to a doctor. There are many times that going low carb can uncover underlying issues that were kind of muffled by a "carb fog" of crappy symptoms. I think at first, we're all a little "gung ho" about being perfect, until we realized that we can do things about the concerns in our control, and all we can do when things are beyond our control is educate ourselves, make decent choices, accept any consequences, and just keep rolling on!

But yes, when our foods taste good, and we feel good, we have that guilt reflex that kind of kicks in and makes us doubt things... Human nature and society tell us that if something feels/tastes good, it must be bad for us - guilt is necessary to enjoy life - and misery is necessary to lose weight or be healthy. This WOE/WOL belies that completely. Sounds like it is time to do some journaling and deep thinking about where the lack of control is, whether the paranoia is tolerable (like are you losing sleep or your enjoyment of things with it?), and to decide if you can banish the old way of thinking and kick that guilt/misery cycle...

(HUGS)
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    As to the HWC vs. half and half...I always use HWC at home. However it's a huge hassle and long explanation every time I go to Starbucks or Dunkin so I just let them use half and half. For the amount I get in my iced coffees it's negligible since I generally keep my overall carbs so low. Per cup HWC is about 6 carbs and HnH is 10. I'm not drinking levels that even come close to a cup so it's all good! I have never been kicked out of ketosis because of half and half.

For most people 50 carbs and under will have them in ketosis. For really active people it could even be higher. Different people have a level that they feel best at so that takes some time and trial and error to figure out but shouldn't be a cause for panic.
  • ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I would also say that if you are keto-adapted and have been doing this for a while, its pretty easy to pop back into ketosis when you eat within your usual carb limit because your body knows that fat is a preferred fuel source.

And I agree with KnitorMiss that attending to the degree to which the paranoia is causing you discomfort is important. Anxiety is no fun and it shouldn't be part of what you are worrying about when it comes to how you eat.
  • GlitterRayne
    GlitterRayne Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've become more watchful when I eat out now too. Forgetting that even if I order a burger bunless they may still put ketchup on it etc. Even the mustard may have sugar.
    SO I do my research beforehand and ask questions along the way. Then I give a really good tip for being one of "those people": lol.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Thx, @midwesterner85 - Any specific tips you'd care to offer?

I wonder if you get better at detecting trouble food in the outside world the more you prepare your own LC meals...??

On a side note - Just yesterday, I was at a friend's party. Among the folks in their family are adults with IBS, prediabetes, liver cancer, and depression, and they tend to be more careful than most about what they eat.

Though there were plenty of salads, almost all of them had stealth sugar (balsamic vinegar, sweet mustard, sweetened coffee creamer in a cucumber salad, etc.).

Not being at a restaurant, I rinsed off the carbage and drowned the colorful remnants in salt & olive oil. (Just try that trick at Red Lobster!)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    With soda, if there is a suspicion it is the sugared kind, some of us can test with our glucose meters. With some meters, it won't work anyway... it used to be there were urine glucose test strips. I'm not sure if there still are, but they can be stuck in the soda to see if there is a high concentration of sugar.

For other foods, be attentive to what is on / in the food. For cases of smaller amounts than can be noticed easily through sight or taste, how you react is unfortunately the final method. So if something you didn't think had carbs knocks you out of ketosis or makes you gain a bunch of weight the day after you eat it... assuming no nutrition facts are available to confirm... then you might avoid that food in the future.
  • anglyn1
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @RalfLott Did I read sweet coffee cream and cucumbers together in a salad? I don't know what to think about that. lol :s
  • anglyn1
    Options
    @midwesterner85 I find diet soda to have a distinct smell. Maybe my nose is weird though because I have developed an aversion to artificial sweeteners.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I don't know about smell, but it tastes different and is noticeably thicker when accustomed to diet.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    It was a surprise to me, too, @anglyn1! But the concoction disappeared quickly enough.

The amateur caterer-daughter in charge likes creamy dill sauce and/or a touch of lemon or lime with her cukes, and she reported that lime juice & coffee creamer don't fight (at least not with one another).
  • anglyn1
    Options
    @RalfLott that makes a little more sense then! Real cream does not like citrus.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Sí. Not a major tragedy, but it would be nice if 'twere otherwise!
  • Yocum1219
    Yocum1219 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    As soon as a regular soda hits my tongue, I almost gag from the taste. I've found ordering unsweetened tea & keeping stevia in my purse has taken away that fear from me. Cutting sodas all together helped, as aspartame & sucralose give me major munchies that I just don't want to deal with!
  • KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I keep Stevia and my reduced sugar ketchup in my purse...has saved me many times
  • CeliaSea
    CeliaSea Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I can taste the difference between regular and diet in an instant, too. Artificial sweeteners tend to trigger my migraines, so I learned very young to detect them. But, I hear you on the hidden carbs. I can't tell you how many times I order a burger plain and have it come out dripping with ketchup. Or order an iced coffee, cream only, and get handed one that CLEARLY has sugar in it. Very frustrating.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I never have a problem sending back what's made incorrectly. I hate mayo and always have - every freaking burger has mayo on it so I'm a pro at sending stuff back. They never leave the mayo off. Now that I order everything without a bun, no ketchup etc...yeah...sending it back when it isn't right. But yes, it is frustrating.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    @RalfLott Yes by paranoid, I mean vigilant. I used to order sugar free vanilla syrup with my iced coffee but I swear, 1/3 of the time someone will give me regular vanilla syrup instead of sugar free. Now I'm used to drinking black iced coffee soo it's less of an issue for me now lol