On Atkins-Already eating close to TDEE -HELP

Options
sassiebritches
sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
I wrote this earlier in a group that I am a part of seeking advise, and 1 veteran touched base with something that made sense....and here I am . Here is the post I wrote and my journey. I am 235 lbs 5'5" tall and 40 years old. I have figured out my TDEE is 2435 cals. Here is my story -

I have been off steady HCG protocols a bit over a year. And in that year I regained 15-20 lbs of the 56 I lost in 2011. Simply put I regained because I thought I had P4 under control. I went off of HCG originally because I was never home anymore, was active in a ministry that had me on the road and working out alot by horseback. The regain came on last summer within 3 months. From Sept to Dec I started and failed 2 short rounds of HCG (Lost my Grandpa, Granny developed sudden onset dementia soon after and stress), I did not gain any weight, but re-gained what minimal weight I did lose over 12 day rounds. I decided to go into Atkins Induction (20 carbs a day) this January 1 2013, and over the course of strict Induction for 45 days I lost ZERO pounds and ZERO Inches. I also did not gain. This got me thinking.....did I stabilize? Have I become metobolically challenged? I tested my thoughts and started another round of HCG, I call it round 6.5 (it lasted 14 days). I loaded 2 days, gained 7 lbs - but overall I lost 15 lbs - I netted 8 lbs in that short round! I then went back into Atkins Induction to stabilize and did so quickly......however, here I am day 51 of Atkins Induction and I have not lost or gained a single pound or inch. I have upped cals, lowered cals, upped protein (not good for my kidney) lowered protein, upped fat, lowered fat and nothing. I am adding workouts with the hopes that this does it. I am part of a couple great groups for LC and have expressed my frustration and they all just keep suggesting the same thing....or basically think that I am doing something wrong. No one has ever heard of not losing on Induction. Even going as far as to seek out a known Atkins Guru to review my food diary. (Which by the way frustrates me even worse, since that is not the big picture). So back to why I am here. I trust the ladies in this group through experience, hard work, dedication and RESEARCH of HCG, to help me get to the bottom of my resistance. I am 1 of many others that I have met that have done the protocol, went to LC only to stabilize and find it impossible to lose. I have enough pellets to get through another round of HCG but want to do it for life not for a round.

There it is. I am beyond frustated :)

I am currently eating 75/80% Fat - 15/20% Protein and 5% or 20 g carbs. I eat between 1850 and 2400 cals a day - To those FREAKING out right now about the fat, this is a Low Carb High Fat Diet, this is not unusual.

My diary is open, I want to know what the best way to change out my ratio without getting sick. going from 20 g of carbs to 220g will most likely cause me issues....I am thinking of setting them up 10% each week until all set. I guess the next question is, I eat...I am not on a low calorie diet anymore...will this work for me?

I hope this is not too much and I am thankful to my friend for pulling me aside to tell me about this.......cause I was beginning to think I was in trouble....

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Just going to comment quickly, your diary is currently not open.. and when you say HCG you are talking about the thing they give you to increase your hormones (that woman normally have when pregnant) and you basically don't eat during that time?
    I have read a bunch of the stories from people here.. but I don't know if anyone does this diet.. or recommend you do it.
  • sassiebritches
    Options
    I am not planning to go on to another round of HCG - The message I posted was something I wrote to my HCG group. I am in need of a re-set and was told to come to this sort of plan. Yes you are right what the HCG is.
    Just going to comment quickly, your diary is currently not open.. and when you say HCG you are talking about the thing they give you to increase your hormones (that woman normally have when pregnant) and you basically don't eat during that time?
    I have read a bunch of the stories from people here.. but I don't know if anyone does this diet.. or recommend you do it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If your body is stressed, it will fight fat and weight loss.

Stresses to varying degrees - diet both deficit level and type, frequent and/or intense exercise, lack of sleep, food allergies or issues, daily life.

Genetics and your mind play a part as to how much stress your body can take and allow a deficit.

Plenty to lose should allow plenty to be done very wrong and still see some results. Not as good as doing it right of course, but something.

Each change that you made testing things out - how long were you consistent with it before deciding this is not working?

Have you tried a reasonable ratio of macros and eating close to TDEE and doing only strength training and light cardio?
    That's fine if you want to do low carb, but nothing special in it unless your body is messed up with carbs badly.

How much cardio do you do with that low of carbs?
    All the Paleo, Primal, Atkins methods advocate little cardio beyond walking, because they realize anything too intense requiring fast carbs is going to get in to trouble dealing with mainly ketones and protein converted to glucose.

With this history of dieting, and the fact that usually means muscle mass loss, done wrong even more, did you base your BMR/TDEE on Katch using bodyfat%?
  • sassiebritches
    Options
    If your body is stressed, it will fight fat and weight loss.

Stresses to varying degrees - diet both deficit level and type, frequent and/or intense exercise, lack of sleep, food allergies or issues, daily life.

Genetics and your mind play a part as to how much stress your body can take and allow a deficit.

Plenty to lose should allow plenty to be done very wrong and still see some results. Not as good as doing it right of course, but something.

Each change that you made testing things out - how long were you consistent with it before deciding this is not working?

Have you tried a reasonable ratio of macros and eating close to TDEE and doing only strength training and light cardio?
    That's fine if you want to do low carb, but nothing special in it unless your body is messed up with carbs badly.

How much cardio do you do with that low of carbs?
    All the Paleo, Primal, Atkins methods advocate little cardio beyond walking, because they realize anything too intense requiring fast carbs is going to get in to trouble dealing with mainly ketones and protein converted to glucose.

With this history of dieting, and the fact that usually means muscle mass loss, done wrong even more, did you base your BMR/TDEE on Katch using bodyfat%?
    I just started doing Cardio this week. I have been doing Atkins for 7 months with a break of 16 days to do a short round of HCG. I just recently got my %'s in line per Low Carb within the last month. Prior to that it was a couple changes here and there. I used a TDEE calculator provided to me by a friend who recommended I look into EM2WL. I am just trying to figure out, how the heck I get all these carbs & protein in.....seems impossible. I have not suffered much muscle loss, had that tested by a fitness professional. :) Thank goodness for all my years in Gymnastics and Dance!