Potassium supplementation

Options
RunRachelleRun
RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
I started low-carb on Monday and quickly was pointed to making sure I was getting enough electrolytes. I started drinking about 90-100 oz of water a day with 650 mg potassium chloride and 570 mg sodium and it has really helped. I've lost 3.5 pounds, my digestion is better than ever (despite no gallbladder), and the initial headache has passed.

But in trying to read through the resources here, one new concern came up in one of the linked articles:
ketogenic-diet-resource.com/low-carb-diet-side-effects.html
"You could also take 1-3 potassium citrate supplements of 99 mg, but no more than that. It's better to get potassium from food. Taking too many potassium supplements can stop your heart, so choose food."

Ack! Now I'm scared to drink this solution anymore. I had a heart virus a few years ago that made me very sick and continue to have a benign arrhythmia. My cardiologist told me my heart is sensitive at best. Should I be making a sodium drink only? I am eating leafy greens, dairy, and some avocado. Anyone have an opinion/experience with this? Thanks!

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    vOv my Potassium suuplementation does come from food...that I put Morton's Lite salt in. It's about 55% Potassium Chloride and 45% Sodium Chloride. I've noticed that I feel a bit better with it, and my blood pressure has evened out a bit. I've always had low-blood pressure though, so I started at the high end with both (5000-6000mg/day) until my BP hit prehypertension levels, then backed it off a bit. Now it's a balancing act between lightheadedness and too high. My sweet spot appears to be around 4200 of both, but that's a pain in the *kitten* to pull off.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I don't really supplement potassium other than adding a dash or two of NuSalt to my food.
    Magnesium is more important for supplementation than potassium because you actually consume way more potassium than you realize. It's even on coffee and tea
  • RunRachelleRun
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @Gallowmere1984 I have low blood pressure also and I think the extra sodium is helping with that. I usually get some dizzy spells when weight training (when I bend down to quickly change the weights on the bar) and noticed they were gone this week. I'm using a no-salt substitute for the potassium too. So you think it's safe to have a high dose and just go by symptoms?

@Sunny_Bunny_ I agree. I have been taking magnesium supplements for years, but just started potassium this week - well, I've been using it for my long runs for much longer. Thought it was great until I read that article :(
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    For a little while, yes. However, do yourself a favor, and check your blood pressure regularly until you find a good zone. It is possible to push yourself too far in the other direction as well. It's all about finding a good zone between symptom free, and pushing into hypertension territory. Fortunately for people like us, it's a lot easier than for those who have the opposite problem.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I always generally say not to fuss over potassium because overdosing on it is bad. Very bad. And because we get more of it than we realize.
    The worst thing that happens if you overdose on magnesium is you get diarrhea.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'm only starting my 5th month KETO but I don't think I've suffered any I'll effects from not taking a potassium supplement. I do however have avocados, mushrooms, spinach, fish, coffee and dairy in my diet. All are pretty good sources of potassium.
  • janettles
    janettles Posts: 69 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I agree with bametels on asking your cardiologist.

• RunRachelleRun
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Oh, I wish I could. I haven't seen the cardiologist for almost two years. It would take a new or worsening heart issue to get another appointment (and likely a few months waiting), which I'm trying to prevent. I will definitely ask my regular doctor next time I see her.

Thanks for all the input. I am happy to read that a lot of you do well without supplementing it. I might try the 300 mg potassium max this article recommended and continue with plenty of sodium and take it from there. It did scare me.
  • Majcolorado
    Majcolorado Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I take two of those Endurolytes I recommended in the other thread with each meal as an insurance policy. So far so good for me, maybe something to consider?
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    @Majcolorado I tried a few local sports/supplements stories today to try to find them. Only one had a couple other Hammer products, but not the Endurolytes. I'll have to order them online. Thanks!