Anyone else needing a pre-Week 1?

Options
TnVeggie
TnVeggie Posts: 24 Member
I have been attempting to do CPto5K for eight YEARS (on and off) now. Yes, that's right, if I'd just stuck with a week a year, I'd be done. I've recently restarted, and have found once again that even the one minute is too much for me. I've started just playing the app, trying to run for as long as I can as often as I can with the prompts. Is anyone else just starting and having difficulty?Feel free to friend me, or we can encourage each other here.

Replies

• NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I didn't start C25K until I'd been exercising in other ways for a couple of years, but I know that when I started exercising I had to start very gradually. I made getting at least some exercise every day a top priority and used various ways of tracking what I was doing in order to get positive feedback that wasn't related to feeling better or losing weight.

Then, when I started trying running, I started that pretty gradually, too. I didn't want to risk falling or injuring myself. So, I only ran as long as I felt like I was in control. At first, it was probably less than 30 seconds at a time. At that time I was taking pretty long walks every day, but had never been a runner.

So, maybe you should start by following the program but doing it walking. Walk at a comfortable pace when it says to walk and try to walk fast when it says to run.

It still amazes me that I can now run as long and as far as I can. I'm slow, but I'm making steady progress towards running a 10K. You can do this. I never would have believed it if someone had told me a few years ago that I could, and would, do it.
  • rickc74
    rickc74 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I guess I kinda did a pre-week one program without thinking about it. At least I built up to it. I was at 250.5lbs when I started losing weight. I hit the gym quite a bit for a couple months, did eliptical work and a lot of walking, both on the treadmill and outdoors. When I started thinking about running, I did a couple minutes here and there. I didn't actually start C25K until I was down 40lbs. With a bit of a workout base leading in, it's gone quite well. I'll finish week 7 tonite, and, as much as some of the long runs have had me worried leading into them, I've completed them all so far with no real issues outside of controlling my breathing.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    If you can walk at a brisk pace for 30 minutes, you should be ready to start C25k. You may need to slow down. Your "running" pace may not be much faster than your walking pace. If you can't talk (or sing) while you are running, you may be trying to go too fast.
  • Eliz_99
    Eliz_99 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I think you just need to really slow down for the runs, even if the runs are as slow as your walks it doesn't matter you can increase speed later. Or just try to walk faster for the runs and build up to a very slow jog.
  • UmmZ
    UmmZ Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I spent some months walking - slowly at first, then briskly before doing the C25K - I used to be a runner then injured my knee in 2011 and haven't done much exercise for many years (gained over 10 kg too). Anyway, starting off slowly has helped me tremendously - though week 1 was still tough, I started the C25K in September 2016 - with a break here and there due to work / ill health / life- I'm now starting Week 7. Keep going at your own pace and you'll get there in good time.
  • ksenya03
    ksenya03 Posts: 51 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I've managed to injure myself every time I've started C25K (a handful of times over the years). It's frustrating because I can walk 6-8 miles but can't even run a quarter mile. I think some of my issue is that I can at this point in time walk much faster than I can run - I can walk a 4mph pace for 30 minutes, but running I must move much slower or I'll injure myself. I managed to work up to a 5K in high school long before C25K by walking and then running a bit on a track, doing what ever I felt my body could handle. I didn't have the goal to run a 5K -I just kept walking and running, challenging myself to go a little further each day because it was fun.

I think I need to take the C25K idea and modify it for what my body is capable of rather than following their plan. I'd really like to run again. I've been building up my base fitness with walking, cycling, and swimming. I want to start trying to jog again, but I'm so afraid of getting another injury. I'm in nursing school and I need to be on my feet during the day - so injuring my foot or leg to the point of not being able to walk for a few days is a not something I can have happen if I want to pass my clinical hours.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    ksenya03 you're probably trying to go too fast and that's why you injure yourself. it doesn't matter how fast you can walk, running requires usage of different/extra muscles and it has a harder impact on your joints.it takes about 5-6 months after you start running for your bones to adapt.follow the c25k plan and go as slow as possible. like ... slower than walking. our lungs get used to the exercise very fast (in a matter of weeks) and then we think we can go faster 'cause we're not out of breath. But our joints and muscles take months to adapt and and if we try to do too much before they adapt, injury occurs.
  • nati0000
    nati0000 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think you need to slow down. I run almost slower than I walk. Took me a little while to realized it but it will really help you. If you can brisk walk for 30 min you can do the first week. Be like snail or a turtle. Yes, legs want to run faster but you cannot and you fail. You can do it
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Slow waaaaay down. Embarrassingly slow. That'll help!

I'm 268lbs and in my 5th week.
  • sunryzer
    sunryzer Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    In the "run" intervals, power walk instead, then on the walk intervals just walk slowly (or even stop altogether if it's too much). Try and get through the programme this way and then restart with jogging. Alternatively, you might find that part way through you just feel stronger (and lighter?) and you want to try jogging week one - always listen to your body.
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I've found that using a treadmill is incredibly helpful for me when I'm running again after a long break from fitness. Outside, I'm not too great at keeping my pace slow because my mind is ready to zoomzoomzoom and overachieve, but using a treadmill lets me set the pace and just focus on not focusing. The time zooms by that way. Also, don't be afraid to be slow! I have a bit of a short stride, so "brisk walking" for me legitimately ends up being around 3.3 mph. My run tends to be between 4.5 and 5.0 mph (and most articles say people can briskly walk up to 4.5!) - speed will come later after your habit is already established.
  • Just_Eric
    Just_Eric Posts: 233 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    When I began I jumped on a treadmill and tried to fire up the first workout on day one. My heart rate soared to about 195 just jogging for ~30 seconds. I had no idea that was too high until I finished my workout and googled about it.

I ended up walking for about 3 weeks prior to even trying my first actual c25k workout. Now I'm in week 6 and my resting heart rate is down to about 64bpm and I usually end up at about 170bpm near the end of my training sessions. I know that's still high for my age, but it's below my prescribed max (or at least what folks consider a guideline), it's consistently in the 160-170 range for the last half of my workouts without much variation even when I'm pushing my pace, and I'm okay with pushing a little bit since it comes back down very quickly when I slow down.