Low carb vs keto

silvia32444
silvia32444 Posts: 26 Member
Anyone that has been both ?
I'd like to know why choosing one or the other, how makes you feel when you keep eating carbs (very few) or when you are keto adapted.

Replies

• ellenkilpatrick
    ellenkilpatrick Posts: 67 Member
    Keto is the only dietary platform that takes my cravings away.. Just eating extra fruit can send me down a downward spiral of consuming sweets. My clarity and energy is greatly improved on keto rather than straight low carb.. I have been off keto consistently for 2years(popping in and out). This go round .. I am in!!!! I seem to be ketone adapted so when I bounce back in.. The benefits are almost immediate after I start burning fat for energy.. Good luck trying to find what works best for you!
  • radonskies
    radonskies Posts: 24 Member
    Keto is naturally low carb, but I find I do much better when I focus on much higher fat (70-75% of calories)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    I'm not so worried about staying in ketosis as I am about becoming fat adapted. Personally, I feel great on Keto in the am, mostly keto at lunch, but I'm working on upping my veggie carbs a bit more at dinner, mainly because after a while on keto, something triggered (no answer as to what exactly yet) my hypothyroidism, and it spiraled out - tripling my barely acceptable TSH to way outside the acceptable range. So I'm on a modified keto with the aim being fat adaption, but either maintaining keto a higher carb levels or just aiming for general low carb (likely 50-80 grams of carbs, which the lower end can still easily keep me in ketosis) and maintaining fat adaption. It's a daily struggle, with cravings and what not, but it's a work in progress.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited August 2016
    I lost my excess 60 pounds eating lowER carb. Macros were ~40%c/30%p/30%f. I switched to KETO 4/3/16 to see if it might help with my neurological disorder (google Dystonia). Macros are now 5% carbs (<20 grams), 20% protein, 75% fat. The HUGE added bonus for me with KETO is I'm not constantly hungry now as I was when eating 120 (losing phase)-160 (maintenance phase) grams of carbs/day.

I've had a couple of "slips" (binges) since going KETO and they were extremely high in processed sweet stuff. I felt tired and lacked mental clarity the next day.
  • ramblinirishrose
    ramblinirishrose Posts: 42 Member
    edited August 2016
    Anyone have more carbs than they are used to and have terrible abdominal pain? For me I eat 5% carbs 15% protein and 80% fat. I went to a restaurant and tried to be careful but was not successful, apparently. BTW I normally eel great on keto.
  • McShorty7
    McShorty7 Posts: 69 Member
    Anyone have more carbs than they are used to and have terrible abdominal pain? For me I eat 5% carbs 15% protein and 80% fat. I went to a restaurant and tried to be careful but was not successful, apparently. BTW I normally eel great on keto.

Your abdominal pain may have something to do with the way your food was prepared at the restaurant rather than the higher carbs. I suppose you'll just have to pay attention in the future if you eat higher carbs at home to see if you react the same way.