Lifestyle Change Goal - recognize 'hunger' and 'full'

Options
NonnaTurtle
NonnaTurtle Posts: 105 Member
This makes me so happy, I just wanted to share. Anyone else?

I have been doing Keto for 5 weeks now and have finally reached the point where I can now recognize true 'hunger' vs 'cravings, as well as feeling 'full' while eating. This is a big, big leap forward for me.

****** 1 Lifestyle Change Goal Met - YAY! *******

Next Lifestyle Change Goal = Stop eating when 'full' and ignore MFP BabbleBitching at me if I am under 1000 calories for the day.

Happy Happy Sunday, everyone :-)

Replies

• ShelJomfp
    ShelJomfp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

I'm currently still working on determining real hunger vs habit goal.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    For me it's hunger vs habit all the time - it's habit to eat when others eat or to eat when I'm working at my desk during the day. I find that if I spend a Saturday outside all day I don't even feel hunger so 90% of my eating I know is habit. Because my hands aren't doing anything else. It's tough to change habit for sure but slowly I'm trying. Consciously saying - why am I eating this or why do I want to eat this? Just today I wanted to shell and eat peanuts. I stopped myself. An hour later I was eating them - when I realized I was eating them I stopped. It's a struggle for sure.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I still struggle with this! Thinking logically, I know I'm not "hungry" because I ate a healthy meal just a couple hours (or minutes) ago. I just want to eat, because eating is what I do whenever I'm bored, tense, happy, upset, etc. In other words, whenever I'm not busy doing something else. Food is my balm for the spirit and the senses.

I need to find better ways to soothe the rough patches rather than eating. This WOE has made it a lot easier with the satisfying foods and fat, but I still have a ways to go.
  • ShelJomfp
    Options
    The struggle is real!

I'm going into my second week of time restricted eating (nothing after 7pm or before 8am). I dreaded starting because I'm a nighttime nibbler (a couple nuts here, a few pork rinds there) but it has been a lot easier than I thought.

Next step will be to push back breakfast by half hour at a time gain control and to break the habit of eating just because.

Glad I'm not alone. Good luck to us all!
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    This is a really important distinction to make - hunger versus full versus habit.

Many behaviours are triggered by other circumstances but we can learn new habits.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Abm4n wrote: »
    This is a really important distinction to make - hunger versus full versus habit.

Many behaviours are triggered by other circumstances but we can learn new habits.

Couldn't agree more @Abm4n. I too struggled most of my life with recognizing and being able to distinguish between these various signals. End of this month will make 2 years for me on this WOE and thanks to LCHF it's now very easy for me to recognize and distinguish between these signals (YAY)!
  • Irenethirteen
    Irenethirteen Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Oddly I just mentioned this in another post.

I have the habit of eating (continually) and need to work on this.
    I have successfully controlled my carb habit.

But I never get this satiety feeling as I am always grazing.
    I need to really focus on my body signals and what causes me to also want to graze.

I need to seriously get this in check :blush:
  • PamamaJane
    PamamaJane Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Next Lifestyle Change Goal = Stop eating when 'full' and ignore MFP BabbleBitching at me if I am under 1000 calories for the day.

Don't you just hate that? The worst part is that MFP won't post the news feed item that says you've finished your diary and stayed under your calorie goal. Like it's some kind of punishment.

• GlitterRayne
    GlitterRayne Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm in the process of working on this. I find that I eat mostly out of habit. At work (since we're allowed to eat at our desks), on the couch at night etc. I've started today on pushing breakfast back a bit in the morning. Hoping that helps some :)
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Great Post. I need to consciously work on the difference between hunger and boredom. I just grabbed and ate a plum from the fruit bowl at work. NO reason. Not hungry. ARG! STOP IT.
  • missippibelle
    missippibelle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Eating at my work is a HUGE problem for me. We can eat at our desks, and eating is also a good excuse to get up and take a break. I eat more on work days for that reason. Also, eating when it is "time" is a problem for me. I work from 7:30-6. In the past I eat to make sure I don't get hungry. Crazy, right?
  • ShelJomfp
    Options
    Great start, RowdysLady!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    This makes me so happy, I just wanted to share. Anyone else?

I have been doing Keto for 5 weeks now and have finally reached the point where I can now recognize true 'hunger' vs 'cravings, as well as feeling 'full' while eating. This is a big, big leap forward for me.

****** 1 Lifestyle Change Goal Met - YAY! *******

Happy Happy Sunday, everyone :-)

Bumping to catch up with related thread:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10454887/do-i-need-to-eat-if-im-not-hungry

• jassnip
    jassnip Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    @NonnaTurtle Don't be ashamed. You're here now among people who want to support you. I know I do. Been there...and if it makes you feel less alone my starting weight was 344 and I'm only 5'6".

MFP whines at me too on my fast days and I just ignore it. It's stupid algorithms that are aimed at the average overweight person (whatever that means) and CICO and it doesn't understand anything being code.

You keep building up you. You got this.

Hugs.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    @Nonna, leave that shame behind! It's wonderful that you're able to put this here! Just know that you aren't alone! My vice was chocolate! I hoarded, and ate it in secret for years! I also began my weight loss journey at 318 pounds!

I credit this woe for helping me learn what true hunger feels like too! Before, it's like I couldn't feel it, or full either!

I'm so glad I found this woe, and wonderful group, who have both helped me learn these two things, and stop the lose/regain cycle I've been on my entire life! The control over food is so great that I know I won't be on that rollercoaster ever again!

Hugs to you for being so brave! You've got this hun!!
  • carom
    carom Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    @nonaturtle congratulations on your progress, I love that you shared your story
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    For anyone who wants to move away from MFP "BabbleBitching" about not eating enough (love the term btw), you may consider the free version of My Net Diary. There isn't a diary completion function, so there's no "competition" or "bragging rights" feeling and no "Must Eat To Satisfy This *kitten* Computer Program" - and while there is a little scold if your calories are too too low, their definition of TOO low is a little lower AND it is tucked away on the bottom of a different page in a small font and hardly noticeable. Additionally the food database there is monitored and they have staff that double checks submitted entries so it's actually accurate. I love MyFitnessPal for the social aspects and keep coming back for that but honestly I find MyNetDiary to be far superior for tracking. Just tossing that out there.
  • NonnaTurtle
    NonnaTurtle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    @jassnip , @Karlottap , @caromarie1 Thank you so much for your kind words.

@Phrick, thanks for the MyNetDiary tip.