New to 5:2 Fast

Options
BGingerTX
BGingerTX Posts: 10 Member
I don't know how I stumbled across this new way of living/ dieting but it intrigues me! I have spent my weekend watching the documentary and reading anything and everything I can. I plan on fasting Tuesday's and Thursday's. I went to the store today (which is typical of me to do before starting my work week) and planned out my fast days ahead of time so I am prepared and have a plan. I read NOT to obsess about fast days and hope that with a plan it will be tolerable. I'm looking forward to this week and more to come along with support from My Fitness Pal that I've been a member of for a while now.

Replies

• oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Heya :) Welcome to the group. Cool that you've decided to give it a go. I'm one month in and have found it manageable to do a Mon/Thurs fast of 500 cals and around 1500-1700 on the other days. Lost 7 pounds the first month. If you have any questions as you go along, there's a fair few long termers in the group who'll be able to give you reliable answers. ^^
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I do 18:6 intermittent fasting, but I peek in here every now and then because I've been curious about people's experiences with 5:2. Sounds like you are ready to go!...which I imagine will help a lot. Mind sharing what you plan to eat on your fasting days? Thanks and good luck to you!
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Planning is the key for me too.. I've been at it since May 2013...and still plan my fast meals the day before. As I have always taken lunch to work, cooking and portion ingredients ahead of time are normal for me. I also have some staples that freeze well. Those are my fast foods, when I haven't prepared anything. No thinking needed then :D

Good luck newbies!
  • msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    BGingerTX wrote: »
    I don't know how I stumbled across this new way of living/ dieting but it intrigues me! I have spent my weekend watching the documentary and reading anything and everything I can. I plan on fasting Tuesday's and Thursday's. I went to the store today (which is typical of me to do before starting my work week) and planned out my fast days ahead of time so I am prepared and have a plan. I read NOT to obsess about fast days and hope that with a plan it will be tolerable. I'm looking forward to this week and more to come along with support from My Fitness Pal that I've been a member of for a while now.

You automatically did everything I would recommend someone to do when starting with 5/2, well done! Read everything, plan your fast day. Now it will just be an out of sight out of mind (more or less) experience. Changes happen first in the mind, so understanding what 5/2 is and the benefits, and then preparing for the day, makes a big difference from those who just jump in and have no idea how to control their impulses. Those who do don't have their bearings yet, so congrats for taking this seriously. It's this preparedness that finds success.

I'm so comfortable with the routine at this point I don't even have to plan my meals; others find they like to keep that consistency. You'll find what works for you after you're all in and comfortable with the new lifestyle. As you may have read, it takes most people 6-8 weeks to really find their groove, and be on autopilot.
  • dryheatfitness
    dryheatfitness Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I found 5:2 through a friend's recommendation and did exactly what you did. I would recommend one other step I didn't take at first but have since - plan your non-fast days too! Especially weekends. While you can't eat way too much just because of physics, I've found I can eat too many calories because of what I gravitate towards if I don't have a plan. While my non-fast days aren't as rigidly planned, I don't go into them without some idea of how I'll end up.
    For instance, if I'm going to happy hour, I'll pack just veggies and humus for lunch. If I want a breakfast burrito, dinner will be a lighter affair. I do my best to not eat from both ends of the candle so to speak.
    Oh - and drink A LOT of water! There is no better trick to success with 5:2.
  • twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I am new to this and keen to give it a go. I have tried to find a book on it and is always out in library and would like to know more about if there is a downloadable version or some ideas for fast days. I get the main points of it but have no imagination when it comes to food ideas. im good with normal days but fast days ... what snack/meal ideas are there to feel good and gets snacks for feeling full and comfortable. Thanks in advance
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I am new to this and keen to give it a go. I have tried to find a book on it and is always out in library and would like to know more about if there is a downloadable version or some ideas for fast days. I get the main points of it but have no imagination when it comes to food ideas. im good with normal days but fast days ... what snack/meal ideas are there to feel good and gets snacks for feeling full and comfortable. Thanks in advance

Hiya :) Below is a link to food ideas for fast days in this forum:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10003945/fasting-day-fd-recipe-ideas-lunch-and-dinner/p1

What I tend to do is eat very close to what I would ordinarily eat but in small portions. Some days I just don't want to think about it so I'll eat a few bowls of porridge, but otherwise I'll do a chicken and vegetable based main meal, or something similar. I find bland food works best for me, or something that won't over excite my appetite and tastebuds - but everyone is different ^^ Some of the ideas in the linked thread sound delicious!

• twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Many thanks. That's great
  • MelissaCV
    MelissaCV Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Good luck! The book "Eat, Drink and Still Shrink" can be useful for you.
  • argos14
    argos14 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Some great tips here