Advice for transitioning off keto

Options
sch55150
sch55150 Posts: 6 Member
I've still got a good month before I finish my cut and start eating above maintenance while adding carbs back into my diet. Any advice from someone who's bulked after keto? I've done plenty of research online just trying to get opinions from everywhere.

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    sch55150 wrote: »
    I've still got a good month before I finish my cut and start eating above maintenance while adding carbs back into my diet. Any advice from someone who's bulked after keto? I've done plenty of research online just trying to get opinions from everywhere.

I've done it, and personally just felt like crap for about two weeks after the fact. It basically feels like keto flu all over again, but I never found anything that made it go away, other than time. Granted, I never ease into anything, so a more gradual increase might help, but my immediate shift from sub-5% carbs to 35% was not fun, and the only thing that helped was time.

You're also going to have that psychological aspect that you'll have to deal with/get over. Even though you are switching to bulk mode, there's something about gaining 10-12 pounds in just a couple of days as glycogen stores replenish that just freaks people right the hell out when they've spent some time in cut mode. I'm personally starting off mine by saying keto and just increasing kcals along with activity. I'll give it a couple of months and see how things progress.
  • sch55150
    sch55150 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I know the psychological aspect is going to be a big deal for me but I feel as I respond well to carbs. It's going to be an experience. I lost my first big chunk of pounds eating high carb/protein so we will see.
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Personally I follow the Protein Power plan method(or at least the one from the late 90's version of the Drs. Eades book I have) where I add 10grams of carbs per week until I get where I need to go. Getting towards a bulk if that's around 50 kcals per week you're probably good. It's not fast, but you avoid the symptoms described above and allow your metabolism time to readjust to carbs.

I've personally found that just going back to eating 'normal' high carbs I just bloat and gain more fat than I desire.