What's the best diet for PCOS and prediabetes?

Options
stacicali
stacicali Posts: 137 Member
Got some bad news on my bloodwork. Fasting Glucose is 105 (I'm already maxed on metformin so that's scary.) Fasting insulin is 8.9. I've been low carb (Less than 100g per day) since Feb and am 5'9 155 lbs. I exercise approx 3 hours per week. This last month I have been lax on my eating: though I follow my low carb plan during the day, I've indulged in Popsicles at night. I am obviously going to stop that. Other than working out more, what else would you ladies recommend? Ketogenic diet? Intermittent fasting? Dropping 5-10 more lbs?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting has been the most successful in bringing my numbers down. If you're already low carb and partially fat adapted, extending the time between meals by 15 minutes at a time until you achieve a skipped meal will help. I did best by eating a solid breakfast and skipping lunch. I only had to do it once a week or so to keep my body understanding, but I was also lower carb when doing this. Also, a 1:2:3 ratio for carbs is consider best for your insulin levels - so up to 17% of carbs at breakfast, 33% at lunch, and 50% at dinner... We're far more insulin sensitive/reactive or whatever the term is - where we used insulin most effectively, at night. I tend to run full keto at breakfast, high keto/low end of low carb at lunch, and higher end of low carb at dinner...

Additionally, I've started a protocol based off of the supplement suggested in this article: carbsyndrome.com/is-your-brain-two-quarts-low/ Loosely based, I should say.

Also, I don't know how great it works, but I dropped my insulin levels by a good bit incorporating some programs by the Caltons. They wrote "The Micronutrient Miracle." Why I didn't buy into everything, their Zero Movement Training (which is high interval training mixed with full rest, not light movement) for a total of 20-30 minutes a day, alternating with their One Set To Fail weight program (which basically says you should max out, unable to finish an entire site, but able to get a least 5 reps in at each exercise at each weight setting to maximize muscle health and minimize nutrient costs and repair time). Apparently this is used regularly by body building competitors, too. This program optimized should also be about 30 minutes total. Anything more strips your body of nutrients, making function and healing less than optimum.

So I don't know that I would focus on dropping your carbs further, but perhaps improving the quality of them, mixing up some meals/IF/meal breakdowns, considering some supplements (including maca root that is supposed to help, along with inositol, vitex, and a few others with balancing your hormones, and without your INSULIN level being balanced, your glucose NEVER WILL BE...and estrogen and insulin are like chaos creating friends who have a sleepover together, stay up way too late at night, and jack up your entire system)..., and shifting to a better workout system might help.

My favorite site, healthfulpursuit.com has a lot of podcasts and articles to help you find the best level for you, based on your conditions and goals, etc. Good luck and keep us in the loop!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Oh, wow... Doing some research in the low carb group today, I ran across some really interesting info...

One possible indicator of low stomach acid listed aversion to red meat as a symptom, which made me think of @Dragonwolf and the issues she had when she was on Metformin, especially since I know one of the major warnings of vitamin deficiency it lists is to not take it with PPI and antacids...

I wonder if Metformin creates a low stomach acid environment!?!?!?!?! Scary, but that could explain so much, including the limited efficacy of Met for some of us... What do you think, @staciali?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10441090/will-the-foot-cramps-ever-stop#latest
  • stacicali
    stacicali Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Knit! That is a very intriguing and exciting theory and would explain so much. I am deficient in quite a few things that I shouldn't be (like protein and vitamin C - I get plenty in my diet) so my integrative dr has me taking digestive enzymes. Maybe in addition to the fermented foods that helped me get rid of reflux, I should add some apple cider vinegar as you've done to combat the low acid? Unfortunately, I don't think going off metformin would be an option for me since my insulin and glucose just came back so rotten. :/
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    My glucose is generally good, but my insulin was terrible two tests back, but I brought it down again inside 6 weeks or less by nearly 6 points, so I'm hoping I figure some things out and not go fully off plan for several weeks for no reason... I think if I stay away from all that, mine might be okay. Might being the keyword. If not, I think I'll have to fight not to go back on it. :(
  • HawkPNP
    HawkPNP Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I do keto + intermittent fasting. It seems to work well as I'm not hungry on keto which makes my 16 hour fast super easy.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I do keto + intermittent fasting. It seems to work well as I'm not hungry on keto which makes my 16 hour fast super easy.

When you're fasting are you just drinking water, or are you doing a fat fast where you can still have cream or bullet proof coffee to help keep you full?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I personally prefer a full water fast. The ketone level of clarity and energy and just awareness that comes with it is on a whole other level. When I fat fast, I never reach that same level... I wish I could fast longer, but with my gallbladder being removed, it is harder, because after a certain point, the steady trickle of bile overwhelms my digestive tract and causes me a lot of pain and not fun bathroom trips. I haven't pushed through those, because honestly, the misery is pretty intense once I hit 12+ hours or so... I'd love to do a 2-3 day fast...but I don't know that there is enough...barrier ointment on the planet for me to survive without permanent acidic damage to my insides and backside...
  • HawkPNP
    HawkPNP Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I do just water during my fasting time (or a cup of tea).

If I'm really feeling crummy, I will eat a little coconut oil in the AM...but that's rare.