Will the foot cramps EVER stop?

Options
LauraCoth
LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
edited August 2016 in Social Groups
I've been at this for weeks now.

I'm supplementing magnesium heavily, I salt my food liberally, and I drink at least two to three glasses of water containing a teaspoon of salt daily. I've even tried adding potassium supplements.

But none of this is stopping the night-time foot cramps. I haven't had a decent night for weeks as a result. I took one of my precious sleeping pills last night and was woken up from a blissful sleep at 4:00 a.m. with a terrible foot cramp, even though the last thing I did before bed was drink a glass of very salty water.

Is this ever going to end? Because if it doesn"t, I'm going to have to back off on the low-carb, and I really don't want to.

Replies

• amelialoveshersnacks
    amelialoveshersnacks Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hubby gets edema bad and was told to go on a no sodium diet by his drs. On one of the information sheets, there was a note regarding cramps - to check your calcium intake. He hasn't had any cramps as yet.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Did you happen to have wine? I almost always get them on nights I have a drink of wine (I've just started low-carb, so this is prior). And I only drink about a 4 oz. glass. But it is the only link I've made between them as an adult. I also got them as a child, so wasn't drinking wine much then, only a few sips of "Baby Duck" once in a while :).

You could also try keeping a little pickle juice by your bed. The new science about cramps say it is a nerve issue. Things like ginger and some mysterious component of pickle juice is supposed to work. I think perhaps turmeric as well. You could even try taking a ginger or tumeric supplement before bed if you are getting them nightly. I love ginger tea. Once you have the cramp, the pickle juice is supposed to work within a few minutes.

Hope you can find a solution!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    If it is a nerve issue, try adding Braggs Nutritional Yeast to anything you add cheese to... There's the old thing about a bar of soap under the sheet that might help... I think I remember Dr. Berg having a thing about nerve issues and said B1 is his suggestion - and that's in the BNY mentioned above...

D3/K2 is critical in nerve stuff, too... It helps absorb calcium and direct it where it needs to go. Potassium and magnesium are required to get into the cells and boron helps keep it there. There's one other part of that I am forgetting.... Maybe the vitamin A to balance the D3 12 hours out?? Mag is twice a day... I KNOW I'm forgetting something. (Ah, Omega 3's!!) So megadoses of D3 without K2, Omega 3's, magnesium and A (offset by 12 hours) will cause calcium overload. With these supplements and absorption from food, most folks don't need a calcium supplement (and I think I've been told you should take it at night, stand alone, for safest absorption)...

I can't remember if we've discussed this, @LauraCoth (sorry, everyone blurs together in my head after a bit), but if you have low stomach acid AT ALL, you might not be absorbing what nutrients you do take in. Magnesium and sodium apparently require a bit of acid to absorb...as does calcium. So too much calcium is a good bit of the problem with cramps, too... Stress depletes potassium...as does sugar.

So it might be worth adding ACV to that night-time salty water - with lemon juice - for potassium, and maybe lite salt for magnesium to get it all in balance?

https://www.drberg.com/blog/body-conditions/muscle-cramps-spasms-and-charley-horses

Side Note: If you are having any swelling at all, that's indicative of the thyroid meds being off.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Did you happen to have wine? I almost always get them on nights I have a drink of wine (I've just started low-carb, so this is prior). And I only drink about a 4 oz. glass. But it is the only link I've made between them as an adult. I also got them as a child, so wasn't drinking wine much then, only a few sips of "Baby Duck" once in a while :).

LMAO. Canadian gateway alcohol.

OP, have you tried epsom salt soaks? Maybe if you soak your feet before bed for ten minutes, it would get better absorbed from the skin? Sometimes depending on the magnesium supplement, it may not be absorbed by our bodies properly.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    table salt (NaCl) is only one of the salts your body needs, try bioplasma, all 12 basic cell salts in one formula...I find that it way improves my cramping particularly after hard workouts...
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss -

Is there a practical test for low stomach acid?
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    what form of mag are you taking, and when you say heavily, what does that mean, how much?
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited August 2016
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    @KnitOrMiss -

Basically, all the ones I know related to indigestion, stool, nutrient deficiencies...

Pretty certain symptoms.
    So, basically, if you don't have a gallbladder or if you have a compromised liver, you are almost guaranteed to have low stomach acid. If you ever burp, fart, get bloated, get reflux, heartburn, or any form of indigestion, chances are you have low stomach acid. If your stool is yellow/white, if it floats, if you have a "fatty clear film floating," if you have any remnants of large particles of recognizable food (other than corn, that's everyone) in your stool, those are all clear signs of low stomach acid/poor digestion. If raw foods like lettuce cause immediate (within a hour or so, I think) indigestion/digestive misery or sprints to the bathroom, you likely have low stomach acid. If fats give your heartburn or nausea....problems digesting any food macro - protein, fats, and/or carbs...have or suspect leaky gut/candida/sibo/etc.

Mostly Symptoms
    If you get constipated, diarrhea, or alternate between the two, it *CAN* be a sign, but isn't always. If you have hypothyroidism and have difficulties getting level on your meds, you might have low stomach acid. If you seem to have problems absorbing calcium, D3, magnesium, potassium, sodium, iron, or pretty much any other deficiency that isn't caused by and underlying health condition or medication inference, you might have low stomach acid. Osteoporosis...hair loss, so many others!!!

Oh, wow - this article has a whole lot of signs and symptoms I always had that I never knew about ... eatnakednow.com/13-signs-you-have-hypochlorhydria/

I had not noticed directly, but I'd observed it, that my sweat doesn't stink really anymore...it's just sweat - how strange! I wonder if anyone of the folks with heavy ketone breath that prevents ketosis for misery reasons might need to just increase their stomach acid!!

n5v0cb2ob5e0.jpg

I didn't know this either - acne, chronic fatigue, and autoimmune anything can sometimes be tied back to low stomach acid... https://sott.net/article/265343-The-truth-about-stomach-acid-Why-low-stomach-acid-is-jeopardizing-your-health

Question Based Quiz

Practical Quiz

Hope this helps. (@baconslave - tons of interesting new info in this one...It's crazy, but the more questions other people ask, the more I find myself learning, too!!!)
  • Cyndi146
    Cyndi146 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss -

Same question.... I don't get cramps but do get terrible heartburn since starting and was told maybe this was the cause? How do we know?

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @Cyndi146 - just posted some links and tests and info above.
  • Cyndi146
    Cyndi146 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    thank you @KnitOrMiss :)
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    thanks knit, just did the test on there and this is the result it gave, i'll try it and see what happens

Your total score is 10
    A score 10-20 - - try the beet juice test. Drink 1/2 cup of beet juice, if your urine turns red, you may want to get some HCl tablets. CEDS can screen for HCl deficiency. CEDS screens for thousands of items and give you immediate feedback.
  • RalfLott
    edited August 2016
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @KnitOrMiss -

Pretty certain symptoms.
    If you ever burp, fart ... or any form of indigestion, chances are you have low stomach acid.

:o

PS That's a mouthful of info - Thx!
    I'll endeavor to digest it without, you know.....
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @auntstephie321 I think my results CURRENTLY were like 6, and if I filled in all my previous symptoms it was around 18... I'm still not perfect by any means, but it's obvious improvement. I might have to do that beet test now, for laughs, if I can tolerate it. I know all the dyes, particularly Red Dye #40, used to go right through me!!! Ugh, bringing loose stools in it's wake.... I still avoid it like the plague.

@RalfLott - I should clarify - a single isolated burp resulting from carbonation is moderately normal. The occasional passed gas is somewhat normal-ish, too...but more than once or twice (usually for me it was bad enough at the worst it was a cascading failure)...after a meal, yup....particularly if they stink. Mine, unless part of the bathroom download process, generally don't have too much smell. I can tell I'm eating something my body doesn't like or I didn't get enough acids and such if I start letting off gaseous byproducts to rival mustard gas in military implications. Thankfully, that has been a while. :smiley:
  • RalfLott
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @auntstephie321 I think my results CURRENTLY were like 6, and if I filled in all my previous symptoms it was around 18... I'm still not perfect by any means, but it's obvious improvement. I might have to do that beet test now, for laughs, if I can tolerate it. I know all the dyes, particularly Red Dye #40, used to go right through me!!! Ugh, bringing loose stools in it's wake.... I still avoid it like the plague.

@RalfLott - I should clarify - a single isolated burp resulting from carbonation is moderately normal. The occasional passed gas is somewhat normal-ish, too...but more than once or twice (usually for me it was bad enough at the worst it was a cascading failure)...after a meal, yup....particularly if they stink. Mine, unless part of the bathroom download process, generally don't have too much smell. I can tell I'm eating something my body doesn't like or I didn't get enough acids and such if I start letting off gaseous byproducts to rival mustard gas in military implications. Thankfully, that has been a while. :smiley:

Haha! KnitOrMiss SCUD missiles....
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    what form of mag are you taking, and when you say heavily, what does that mean, how much?

I didn't see this answered. This is my question too.
    Everyone needs different amounts of magnesium and not all forms of mag are well absorbed. You may only be getting 5-10% of the dose your taking if it's not a bioavailable form. And if it is, sounds like you need more.
    I used to take 1000mg a day of magnesium carbonate, which is well absorbed. For whatever reason, I don't seem to need as much anymore since eating more carnivore.
  • RalfLott
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Kale, spinach and other green leafy emetics all contain non-trivial amounts of magnesium, as do gut-wreckers like pumpkin and sesame seeds.

Prof. Bruce Ames, a retired UC Berkeley prof who runs a lab at Oakland Children's Hospital (where YouTube phenom Dr. Rhonda Patrick hung or maybe still hangs her hat), opines that if you get enough dietary magnesium, maybe you only need calcium supplements.
    (It's apparently a good thing if these two minerals are present in certain ratios, like sodium & potassium and omega-3 & - 6.)
    https://youtu.be/ZVQmPVBjubw
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'll increase my ACV and switch to mag glycinate and see if that helps. The only reason I use the mag citrate is the cost: I already spend huge amount of money on supplements, and now that we're retired our medical insurance doesn't cover as much of our prescriptions as it used to.

Incidentally, I was looking up research on low stomach acid, and many of the symptoms I've had over the years are mentioned in this context. The most notable one is constipation. Even when my thyroid numbers are adequate I am chronically constipated unless I take large doses of magnesium. Grain fibre never helped me at all -- it bloated me and hurt. I'll be interested to see if increasing stomach acid helps me in this regard.

I also just completed a 24-hour urine test for all hormones (sex, thyroid and adrenal) as well as electrolytes and melatonin, among other things. I'm hoping this will reveal some issues that can be treated.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    LauraCoth wrote: »
    Okay, I'll increase my ACV and switch to mag glycinate and see if that helps. The only reason I use the mag citrate is the cost: I already spend huge amount of money on supplements, and now that we're retired our medical insurance doesn't cover as much of our prescriptions as it used to.

Incidentally, I was looking up research on low stomach acid, and many of the symptoms I've had over the years are mentioned in this context. The most notable one is constipation. Even when my thyroid numbers are adequate I am chronically constipated unless I take large doses of magnesium. Grain fibre never helped me at all -- it bloated me and hurt. I'll be interested to see if increasing stomach acid helps me in this regard.

I also just completed a 24-hour urine test for all hormones (sex, thyroid and adrenal) as well as electrolytes and melatonin, among other things. I'm hoping this will reveal some issues that can be treated.

This is what I use, I know it's more than citrate but without taking this I get neck spasms and charlie horses each night.
    https://www.amazon.com/KAL-Magnesium-Glycinate-400-tablets/dp/B00013YZ1Q
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    @LauraCoth : I also suffer from severe leg/foot cramps at night. But, to be truthful I also suffered on the SAD. They are very intermittent. I can go weeks/months with no cramping and then suddenly they return. I have read everything possible and have tried everything possible but get no complete relief, albeit sometimes temporary relief. I keep a heating pad in my bedroom night stand for the really bad bouts. I have had them come and leave with absolutely no dietary changes, exercise changes, supplement changes, etc. I think that, in my case, they are caused by a wide variety of reasons (unknown to me) and I just accept it as part of my life. N.B. We are both retired and have the same first name, so that must be a factor LOL! Friend me if you ever find a cure!!