Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Minimum sodium is closer to 5000mg
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    No, this started a couple of months ago, a few days after I started the low-carb diet. I also started a new medication at the same time, but I've disontinued it to rule it out as the cause. It's definitely the diet. No question at this point.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    How many carbs are you getting? Try upping gradually till the cramps stop. Its possible you are so depleted on sodium and mag that you need more than you are getting. Also I wouldn't worry as much about potassium in my experience adding supplements for that does nothing for cramps you get much more than you think in your diet
  • LauraCoth
    Options
    I've been keeping myself at around 30-40 carbs. Most of my carbs are from salad and dairy. I eat a huge salad every night at dinner, with our own greenhouse tomatoes and cucumbers, some radishes and red pepper, and avocado. I use a balsamic dressing that includes a small amount of a balsamic reduction, so my dressing has a small amount of carbs, too. Last week I added fruit back in, the odd apple and some berries at night but that didn't change anything.

I also put 1 teaspoon of sugar in my morning coffee because stevia alone just doesn't cut it for me.

I even broke down at 4:00 am last night and ate a piece of bread to see if that would slow it all down (it didn't).

I've been looking up how much sodium is in pink salt, and I am definitely, definitely, getting a minimum of 3,000 mg salt daily, but often a lot more.

Last night the water I was drinking was actually pink, there was so much salt in there. But still, the cramps came.
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    @LauraCoth I am so sorry you are having the cramps again. As I mentioned in other posts, I know how bad they can be. It does seem like you have tried everything. Do you stretch out your muscles as you are lying in bed trying to sleep? Sometimes before I fall asleep I will stretch out the calf muscle (toes pointed to ceiling) and try to get them stretched out. In the long run, you have to do what works best for you.
  • LauraCoth
    Options
    I don't want to have to go back to eating more carbs. It's just so much more diffult because of the constant hunger. But I have to sleep. I must have lost 50 nights to this over the past two months.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    LauraCoth wrote: »
    Well. the camps are back, with a vengeance.

I really thought it was the thyroid medication because the cramps stopped for a week after I stopped taking it. Now I'm back to less than 2 hours' sleep anight because of the cramps, just non-stop all night.

I was drinking very salty water ALL NIGHT LONG but eh cramps never stopped.

Yesterday in addition to my salt on my food I drank two cups of bullion, 900 mg salt each, and 5 postassium tablets.

I also took 600 mg magnesium glycinate, PLUS a magnesium gel rub on my legs just before bed, PLUS calcium pills in the middle of the night. But still cramps all night.

I think I have to give this up and go back to calorie counting and being hungry . This just isn't working for me. I can't sleep for more than an hour without being woken up by cramps.

I honestly think you're simply not getting enough sodium and 600mg of magnesium is barely anything. I need around 2000mg every single day. (Magnesium carbonate).
    I personally would skip the potassium tablets. That's not as likely a factor for the cramping. I don't know that calcium has anything to do with it either.
    My best advice for you would be to get sodium tablets. Each one is 1000mg. Take at least 3 each day spread out and continue salting foods to taste and maybe even have some keto aid. Then, take 3 doses of the 600mg mag, again spread it out over the day. If you have cramps that might, take 4 sodium tablets the next day and if the mag didn't make you have loose stools, then you could add another 300mg of that. I think sodium is the biggest proponent though.
    Also, many people will make these increases and feel relief right away, but if you're very deficient, it may take a couple days for you to regulate it. Your body is playing catch up. It might not be an instant fix. I wouldn't expect it to take long though. But that's ONLY if you take enough of the missing electrolytes. I just don't think you're taking enough.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I read this thread with interest but just checked and it began on August 9. It seems you have tried several different things. My concern is that you are experimenting with this while taking other medications.

I suggest you schedule an appointment with a Doctor.
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ Thanks for hint of using more sodium re night cramps. My cramps are intermittent but when they start again I will up the sodium and make notes. I know it sounds trivial to some, but those cramps can be terrrrrrribly painful!! Yikes!
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Well. the camps are back, with a vengeance.

I really thought it was the thyroid medication because the cramps stopped for a week after I stopped taking it. Now I'm back to less than 2 hours' sleep anight because of the cramps, just non-stop all night.

I was drinking very salty water ALL NIGHT LONG but eh cramps never stopped.

Yesterday in addition to my salt on my food I drank two cups of bullion, 900 mg salt each, and 5 postassium tablets.

I also took 600 mg magnesium glycinate, PLUS a magnesium gel rub on my legs just before bed, PLUS calcium pills in the middle of the night. But still cramps all night.

I think I have to give this up and go back to calorie counting and being hungry . This just isn't working for me. I can't sleep for more than an hour without being woken up by cramps.

I honestly think you're simply not getting enough sodium and 600mg of magnesium is barely anything. I need around 2000mg every single day. (Magnesium carbonate).
    I personally would skip the potassium tablets. That's not as likely a factor for the cramping. I don't know that calcium has anything to do with it either.
    My best advice for you would be to get sodium tablets. Each one is 1000mg. Take at least 3 each day spread out and continue salting foods to taste and maybe even have some keto aid. Then, take 3 doses of the 600mg mag, again spread it out over the day. If you have cramps that might, take 4 sodium tablets the next day and if the mag didn't make you have loose stools, then you could add another 300mg of that. I think sodium is the biggest proponent though.
    Also, many people will make these increases and feel relief right away, but if you're very deficient, it may take a couple days for you to regulate it. Your body is playing catch up. It might not be an instant fix. I wouldn't expect it to take long though. But that's ONLY if you take enough of the missing electrolytes. I just don't think you're taking enough.

I just feel like it's more magnesium than anything that's needed. I know that's what caused my cramps and I only get them now if I forget magnesium for a couple days even if my sodium is low.
  • LauraCoth
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I can't use any more oral magnesium or I'll be in trouble :D . I take 600 mg of the bisglycinate form (which is highly absorbable) and I cover myself liberally in magnesium gel every night. And I've been using magnesium to bowel tolerance for many years, so I can't imagine that I'm all of a sudden in dire need of it. I was hoping that the magnesium gel would bump my intake without dire consequences, but apparently not.

I'll see if I can find sodium pills somewhere. The salty water really does make me feel sick. I don't know if you can just buy them here in Canada, though. Is it just sodium chloride? And would I buy it over the counter in a drug store?
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    A banana would help more than bread, because it has potassium. About 27 carb grams for a medium, so within your limits if you're having trouble. Also, cantaloupe, broccoli, brussel sprouts, spinach. I can see somebody at no carb having this kind of trouble, but you CAN get high potassium foods into your diet and stay within a low-carb profile. You may have to give up the dairy to fit them in.

I also soak in epsom salts, which sounds like you're hitting the magnesium pretty hard as it is.

Also, check your vitamins, make sure you're getting at least your minimum requirements in a once or twice daily.

I'm super-sensitive to any kind of cramping and live in a desert, so am really aware of staying in balance. A muscle cramp can toss my back out and cripple me for weeks.

So you need to balance your salts with calcium. Too much calcium can make you spasmy, also. I learned that the hard way following WLS. So do some reading up and see if you need some tweaking in your daily intake. check out lesser talked about vitamins also. Consider getting a blood panel for your vitamins to see where you stand.

I hope you feel better soon.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I can't use any more oral magnesium or I'll be in trouble :D . I take 600 mg of the bisglycinate form (which is highly absorbable) and I cover myself liberally in magnesium gel every night. And I've been using magnesium to bowel tolerance for many years, so I can't imagine that I'm all of a sudden in dire need of it. I was hoping that the magnesium gel would bump my intake without dire consequences, but apparently not.

I am sorry to hear of your woes. I had terrible cramps on lipitor/LF, and it was a true nightmare!

You seem to be doing everything right to nail the culprit, so all I've got is a long shot: I've seen some discussion of excessive Vitamin D consumption interfering with magnesium absorption.... a remote possibility?

Good luck licking your unwanted nocturnal intruder.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    It is sodium chloride. It's available over the counter in the US

I really doubt it's potassium but a banana has way less potassium than an avocado and of course is loaded with sugar so I personally wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Lol
    It's certainly not the best food source...
  • LauraCoth
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

I am sorry to hear of your woes. I had terrible cramps on lipitor/LF, and it was a true nightmare!

You seem to be doing everything right to nail the culprit, so all I've got is a long shot: I've seen some discussion of excessive Vitamin D consumption interfering with magnesium absorption.... a remote possibility?

Good luck licking your unwanted nocturnal intruder.

I use Vitamin D, though not for the last month since it's been sunny and hot here. I get morning sun when I walk my cat (yes, I walk my cat daily.

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I get morning sun when I walk my cat (yes, I walk my cat daily.

I just checked the Cat Pics thread, and I did not happen to see a cat on a leash...... ??
  • ketold727
    ketold727 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    One thing that helped me out is reducing my water intake at night. I drank too much and peed too much.
    it got way better. A half a salted avocado at dinner won't hurt either.

Good luck
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I used the sodium chloride tablets to keep my electrolytes (and cramps) under control! This is a daily thing for ketoers to keep in check. It's not a one time fix. Hydration matters too. The amount of fluids consumed, how much sweating too can make a huge difference too!

The needed average sodium with this woe is 3000-5000mg, daily, and in the summertime it can be more than that. If you aren't willing to try these amounts you won't ever know which level works for you. I truly believe your cramps are a sodium issue, just as it was for me. I was reluctant (scared, and didn't truly believe that was the answer) to try it (the brainwashing against sodium is just as real as the fat phobia!), but once I found the level that worked for me (was using 5000mg +) it was wonderful, and I haven't suffered with the leg cramps since then! Which was last summer, and I had the same wonderful people here telling me the same thing that they are telling you! And, my blood pressure has been better with the higher sodium than it was when I restricted my sodium intake, and I've been off of my bp medicine for just over a year!!

Yes, adding carbs can help, but it defeats the way this woe works, and puts you back into the carb rollercoaster.

I hope you can find what works for you!

• LauraCoth
    Options
    OK. Took in 5,000 MG sodium in bouillion cubes yesterday plus whatever I had in food plus on food.

No cramps but very puffy today around eyes and waist and chest, the latter making me short of breath because my bra is too tight. I literally gained a size overnight. Obviously this was too much sodium. Should I start to decrease? Maybe by increments of 500?
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    oh my yeah pull it pack a little at a time so your body doesn't go crazy. my holds it for a little bit then flushes it all at once so don't worry about the puffiness it'll go away once the sodium levels out and releases that water.