Keto and Starting a Fitness Plan

Options
genmon00
genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
Hello everyone!

So now its been officially 3 months since I've started my LC/Keto journey and I am happy with my progess so far. My blood sugars (fasting) are in 80-90s in the AM. I'm only on Metformin (down from Metaformin, Januvia AND Inovokana with a side track of Actos which I hated). Lost 20 lbs. Life is good. My carb goal is 20-30 net carbs and I have been able to stick to that mostly. I decided that I need to add fitness to my health care since I know that it will not only benefit my blood pressure but help keep my muscle tone (as women begin to lose it as we hit a certain age) and stregnthen my bones. I like weight lifting not too much cardio although Zumba is so much fun.
My question is there any side effects of adding exercise to Keto? Do I have to watch my electrolytes? Take more mag? Eat more protein? I would appreciate any advice or input! Thank you!

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Definitely watch your electrolytes. Any time you sweat, you are gonna lose some sodium so it would be good to replace it so you don't feel like poop.

You may feel a performance decrease, but it is only temporary and you will increase once you are fat adapted. But then again, if you have already been in this for a bit, you may already be adapted.

Start slow. You may see a scale increase for a bit as you begin, but it is water weight. It is from your muscles being used in a different way for a while and water is going to those muscles for repair.

Protein is good because it will help your muscles recover better as well.

I don't increase my magnesium supplement - it just normally stays the same. If I'm extra sore, I may take an extra capsule but then you have to be careful of bathroom issues. Epsom salt soaks are also another option.

Lifting weights is great because it helps you retain your current muscle mass. As you lose weight, you lose fat/water/muscle and muscle loss is the bad loss because it is hard to get back after it is gone. And also lifting will help your body composition a lot - look for a structured program that has you progressing in weight as you get the form down. That's how you get stronger.
  • KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I would lov to try Zumba!
  • KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Love*
  • genmon00
    Options
    KetoLady86 wrote: »
    I would lov to try Zumba!

Oh its sooo much fun! If you like salsa dancing, it doesnt feel like a workout at all :) AND it doesnt matter if you don't "get" all the moves right, as long as your moving, you will be getting a workout and SWEATING. Im kind of afraid to do a class while on keto though. My electrolytes would be all out of wack! lol
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I started walking about the same place in Keto that you are in (3 months ish). My carbs are around 20 or less most days. I drink lots of water to stay hydrated and keep my mag/sodium up with supplements. I love walking and it's really helped me tone up. My daughter recently decided to go LCHF - her carbs are at 106 max. She eats pickles to keep her sodium up - she can tell when her head feels a little fuzzy and three pickles does the trick for her. She walks with me and she's also the coolest band geek ever - so she's outside on the practice field learning her marching band routine in the 105 degree weather...and she's carrying around a Baritone Sax. For perspective - that sax is the size of a typical 5 year old kid...
  • genmon00
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    I started walking about the same place in Keto that you are in (3 months ish). My carbs are around 20 or less most days. I drink lots of water to stay hydrated and keep my mag/sodium up with supplements. I love walking and it's really helped me tone up. My daughter recently decided to go LCHF - her carbs are at 106 max. She eats pickles to keep her sodium up - she can tell when her head feels a little fuzzy and three pickles does the trick for her. She walks with me and she's also the coolest band geek ever - so she's outside on the practice field learning her marching band routine in the 105 degree weather...and she's carrying around a Baritone Sax. For perspective - that sax is the size of a typical 5 year old kid...

Wow so awesome your daughter is on the journey with you! Love it! And kudos to her for being able to lug around that huge instrument lol