Need some input!

Options
Hi guys.. New to the app. I lost 30 lbs since January 2015 basically from diet, running and stress. I went from 132 to 105. I was very happy at 105 feeling like it was ideal for my 5'2" frame. My diet and exercise have not changed but I gained 5 lbs and it's all in my stomach. Nothing I do gets rid of it. I've watched what I'm eating religiously. I probably burn between 1700-2200 calories a day depending if I run or not. I usually eat about 1000 calories a day give or take. I run 5 days a week and sometimes walk an additional 2-4 miles a day after dinner if I can. What is accounting for the weight and how to I bust it???

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    If you are weighing your food and logging accurately, I would go see a Dr. Perhaps you have some cysts or something abdominally that needs to be checked out. The only other option is that you are truly not burning as much as you think and are eating more than you think. Because with those numbers, there no way you wouldn't be losing weight.
  • pittmanclan545
    pittmanclan545 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It's insane!!! I am using my fit bit so I am getting the calories from them. I have a slip for an u/s so I am going to go that route next. If you saw my daily food intake you would be shocked that I'm not losing!!
  • Riche120
    Riche120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If you are running and sweating a lot, your electrolites could be low. That would cause you to retain a lot of water. Try adding some extra salt and magnesium. (I know intuitively that seems counter productive, but it works - usually within a day or so to get rid of the extra water.) Avoid the sugary Gatorade type things if you can.
  • jjdig
    jjdig Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Isn't there something that says you have to eat "up" at least one day a week to spark the weight loss?
    I usually end up doing that naturally because I just am not a disciplined dieter - but even when I did weight watchers, doing that seemed to keep me losing. Also, a day of watermelon tends to shake things loose. Ha - but just a day!
    Seriously, though - I'm sure there is research that backs up the "eat up" - I just can't think of it at the moment.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I do know other people who have said their Fitbit burn was overestimated. But yours would have to be overestimated by a lot
  • BananaBite
    BananaBite Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Maybe your body gained some of the weight back from the stress? Perhaps 105 lbs wasn't right on your body and it needed the extra 5 lbs. If anything, go to the gym and see if you can tone up rather than lose those 5 lbs.
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    110 is prob a healthier weight for you. I'm 5"2 too
  • DiIDE
    DiIDE Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Try lifting weights as the afterburner loses more calories for longer and extra muscle will burn calories. I am trying to lose fat and have been told I do not need to do much if any cardio but to do all weights to build muscle and lose fat.
  • pittmanclan545
    Options
    So I did a little research on under eating. I eat less than 1200 calories a day... On average I'd say 900-1000. If fit bit is accurate I burn any where from 1700-2200. 5 days a week I run 3-5 miles a day. 4-5 days a week I also walk 3-4 miles at night. I'm wondering if lack of calories is responsible. Anyone ever really gain weight from NOT eating enough?
  • BananaBite
    BananaBite Posts: 135 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    So I did a little research on under eating. I eat less than 1200 calories a day... On average I'd say 900-1000. If fit bit is accurate I burn any where from 1700-2200. 5 days a week I run 3-5 miles a day. 4-5 days a week I also walk 3-4 miles at night. I'm wondering if lack of calories is responsible. Anyone ever really gain weight from NOT eating enough?

I have no experience with gaining weight from not eating enough but that is because I have never gone to an extreme of not eating enough every day. It definitely could be that your body is in starvation mode and therefore holding onto all the calories it can and storing them as fat. I'm no expert by any means, but I do know that you are most likely under eating based on all the exercise you do. I am not trying to demean you for eating so little calories. I myself am only 5'0 and only eat around your average of 1000 calories a day, but I also don't do as much cardio as you do. I would try and boost your calories by a few hundred or even more than that. You don't have to keep at a whole new caloric intake, but experiment to see if it boosts your metabolism enough to lose a pound.
  • sourface75
    sourface75 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    In theory yes. Chronic under eating will lead to your metabolism slowing down. You might notice you feel cold quite a lot, along with some other hormonal changes ( including loss of menstruation). At that point your body will be desperate to put on some fat as it thinks there is a famine. It can do this via gluconeogenesis, where it will burn muscle to create extra fuel. Any excess will be stored as belly fat. With your stats, I'd think this might be a risk for you. I'd consider slowly increasing calories (but all high quality food not crap - lots of protein) and see how your body responds.
  • pittmanclan545
    Options
    Thank you for the info! I'm struggling with weight gain and I can't understand how it's happening. I don't eat junk food at all. The worst thing I eat are pretzels! This is very frustrating!!