Just joined group

Options
Hello - I,m 61 and just today started My Fitness Pal. I have bad knees so have to watch what exercise I do - no more zumba for me!! I am 15 pounds into the fat zone and have been working on an exercise goal of 50 minutes a day for a few weeks. (Aqua Aerobics, biking, weights and a bit of elliptical) Only gained 1.5 lbs! So I am hoping that this site will help me watch what I eat to lose the weight and get in shape. Would love to hear what people are doing to lose weight with bad knees.

Replies

• glendathegood1
    glendathegood1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 60, 5'10" and was 245 a few weeks ago. I have a bad knee also. Here's what I do and I'm already down 6 pounds with very little knee pain. I discovered that "running", my speed, GENTLY, on flat, with my KNEES BENT slightly, prevents my knee pain. I stretch each leg for the count of my age, because the older we get the longer we need to stretch. Stretching before and after. I wear running shoes that are designed for heavy runners (extra cushion). I also use the ZenLabs C25K app. Great FREE app! Super easy! I just open the app and do what the lady says. Like "Start walking" or "begin running". I just keep in mind that it's not a race-- it's training. Speed does not count. AND it's only about 30min per day. Although I've fallen off the wagon for about a year, by doing all of the above simple stuff, I was able to finish a walk/run Half Marathon the day before my 60th birthday! In Summary, my best advice for bad knees-- DO NOT POUND THE GROUND, especially if you're overweight like me, stay slow and stay on a flat surface until your muscles and ligaments get stronger (c: