What are your Paleo macros?

Options
sunlover89
sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
I'm so confused about macros at the moment. I've read a few places that it should be around 20c/35p/45f. However I've also heard that I shouldn't be tracking as the one of the main points of paleo is to eat when you're hungry and not to track.

I spoke to my crossfit box trainers a couple days ago, all of whom are in amazing shape and have been doing paleo for years. They said that my carbs should be higher and my fat much lower if I'm trying to burn fat. What?!
So I tried this the last couple days - no ghee, dry cooking, little nuts and I've been snacking on carrot sticks and berries instead of meat. The result? Exhaustion, headaches, irritability and i've been napping at every opportunity (buses, trains). I even had a bit of a binge last night because I was so damn hungry.
This morning I had my usual protein/fat breakfast (bacon, eggs, turkey sausage, tomatoes) with no carrots or berries and I feel so much better.
I'm only on my 3rd week of Paleo/Crossfit so I'm still experimenting, but is it possible that my body just works better with more fat and less carbs? I find the more carbs I eat, even very healthy ones, the more I want. The less I eat, the less I want.

What has been your experience with your macro balance and losing fat?

Replies

• carissar7
    carissar7 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    In my experience the last 6 or 7 months, I started paleo with the standard very high fat/protein diet and lesser carbs. I dropped into ketosis and lost 20 lbs very easily. But since I workout 4-5x a week, I was not eating enough calories and the little carbs were affecting my workouts. 1400 cals a day and only 20g of carbs at most was just simply not enough. So I've upped my calories to 1600-2000 and my carbs as well to around 80-100g and I feel much better. Everybody is different and you have to play around to find what works for you. Maybe they are suggesting more carbs because they're into crossfit? Correct me if I'm wrong but I know of absolutely no one in the fitness industry who is serious about training and survives on such little carbs.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Sun, I had a similar experience. I started out eating with about 50%f and the other two split. I wasn't seeming to burn off my body fat stores doing that. Recently I went to 40%p, 30%c and 30%f and I'm melting the fat stores off. My carb grams have been in the 80-100g a day range since increasing them. I've been lifting now for four weeks so it could just be the extra muscle and increased metabolism kicking in, but I do notice that I just don't have the energy for some of my training sessions when I don't consume enough carbs. I think you just need to play with things to see what works for you.

I also find that it helps to consider the source with advice on macros. For example a runner is going to naturally recommend higher carbs because endurance activity usually require it. Body builders and those trying to get to extremely low body fat %s are going to avoid fats. Eventually I'll probably end up with 35p/35c/30f, all healthy carbs and healthy fats of course. :)
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I asked their advice because I've actually put on weight in the last couple weeks, although I'm sure my bf% is decreasing a little. I found it very strange because I've gone from eating 200+g carbs a day to about 60-100g, so i'm no way in ketosis. I was thinking maybe the combination of a high fat diet along with medium carbs is causing me to store fat when my insulin spikes with sweet potato and berries, although I'm consistently at a large calorie deficit 5 days a week, the other two I'm around maintenance level.

Yeah, they're probably suggesting it because of the intense exercise. I might try adding low sugar veggies like broccoli, cabbage and spinach to meals instead of the extra bacon and see if that helps.

"Recently I went to 40%p, 30%c and 30%f and I'm melting the fat stores off." Thanks Lenora, I'll give that a go!
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    It will depend on the caveman philosophy you are listening to the most
    here is the link to the "how to eat"according to Mark's Primal Blueprint
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/definitive-guide-to-the-primal-eating-plan/#axzz2Yw4A2yJW
    Personally,I follow the 5% carbs,60% fat and 35% protein.
    I workout with a trainer for two hours per week,do home workouts,walk and sometimes run.
    I don't feel for me that eating low carb bothers me as I have become fat adapted and it stops all of my miserable sugar issues.
    I sometimes eat more than 5% carbs but the longer I do that,the more intense sugar cravings become.
    I find if I do fall off the wagon and eat sugar,I recover much quicker than I would have before.It would have been 3 months before and now I can usually bounce back after a day.
    Anyway,it's a personal thing with macros but have a look at that link and it may be of some use.
    One thing I have noticed lately is if I am obsessing about the constant information out there about paleo/primal I could drive myself round the bend and I think it's not really the purpose of this lifestyle.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    do not listen to the crossfit coaches that told you low fat - they are confused or doing it wrong.
    You need good fats to absorb vitamins and to create good cholesterol and hormones.

(most of our coaches are ripped and strong - but don't paleo at all) - they are also twenty somethings that can survive on twinkies and were probably never overweight. I do not take nutrition advice from them - and I am actually try to coach them to eat better through guilt ;)

I'd agree with the macros above. I can easily keep my carbs at 50g's or below a day and still crossfit 5x a week. I try to hit 120-150 g of protein - and fill the rest with fat. usually about 50-60%. I don't sweat over my macros or my calories - I eat till full - but I don't eat if I don't need to.
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    First of all, please, don't sweat the details! Everyone is really different and it takes at least a month of 'tweaking' your macro's to notice a difference. Sometimes you'll even see an increase in weight before you see a big decrease. I think you;re doing a great job trying to find the right balance for you. For me, 50% fat with the rest split (the macros vary from day to day) works best for maintaining a lean composition. When I drop my fat I seem to become rather bloated and put on weight. I also found that getting most of my 75-100g carbs/day from non starchy veggies works best and I don't often eat sweet potatoes. I also don't have much of a taste for fruit and probably eat about 1/2 serving a day (in the summer...I crave none at all in the winter). Doing some more long slow cardio (controversial, I know) can also help if fat loss is your goal.
  • hmodispaw
    hmodispaw Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Oh yay! I'm glad to see your set macros because this is exactly what I have set mine to! 5c/35p/60f :) I have about 70 pounds to lose!
  • ShannonKirton
    ShannonKirton Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    My macros these days are set at 30%c/30%f/40%p but I also tend to go over my fat due to my understanding that if you eat good fat and less carbs your body will start to use the fat as energy hence also tapping into your stores if there's not enough consumed on a day. I'll agree with most who have said it, too low carb can hinder you but everyone is different, so do whatever you feel good at. My macros on a daily bases obviously vary due to the foods I eat but now I'm trying to keep the carbs lower and up the fat and protein.
  • ShannonKirton
    Options
    Having just studied the article from Mark's Daily Apple that anjelevil posted, I just changed my macros to 20% carbs, 40% fat and 40% protein. It is a brilliant article.

My only question with the carbs is, do you count fruit like a banana which has a ton of carbs, or are we talking carbs are carbs no matter what?
  • AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Having just studied the article from Mark's Daily Apple that anjelevil posted, I just changed my macros to 20% carbs, 40% fat and 40% protein. It is a brilliant article.

My only question with the carbs is, do you count fruit like a banana which has a ton of carbs, or are we talking carbs are carbs no matter what?
    Carbs are crabs, I count them ALL!
  • AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Oh yay! I'm glad to see your set macros because this is exactly what I have set mine to! 5c/35p/60f :) I have about 70 pounds to lose!

Love this too!
  • ShannonKirton
    Options
    I found this link just now and thought it might help. It certainly was an interesting read for me and I'm thinking maybe I need to reconsider my macros AGAIN!

http://paleodietlifestyle.com/question-of-macronutrient-ratios/