Split weight sessions

Options
DiIDE
DiIDE Posts: 120 Member
Do you do split weight sessions? I have always done a combination of upper and lower body weights in each session but have been told to do upper one session and lower another session. I find my arms can only lift so much before they give up even though I still have a lot of energy left. The legs can cope with this though. Any thoughts on this and what have you been told to do?w

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    If you are newer to weight training full body sessions 3x per week is usually the recommendation to get started. If you prefer a split make sure you are following an established program and not just doing random things. I made that mistake 2 years ago and I had little to show for it

ETA: I've done both. I actually prefer full body (which is what I'm doing now) since I don't have loads of time to workout and I enjoy it more.
  • DiIDE
    Options
    I have been lifting weights for many years and always done a combination session, but since having a DEXA scan and finding That I am a skinny fat and have to lose fat and gain muscle I was told that I should fatigue my muscles in each session to gain muscle. I have never heard of this before. I have also been given 1400 calorie limit as well as my macro percentages which is a real juggling act to achieve.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I'm currently recomping and I am doing full body. In order to build muscle, progressive overload is necessary (at least that's what I understand).. this doesn't always mean muscle fatigue (or going to failure everytime) but adding weight to the bar or increasing reps.

What are your stats? If you are at a reasonable weight for your height then eating at maintenance and lifting can help you shape your body (although it can be slow) if you still have weight to lose you can eat at a small deficit. A few months ago I was only about 5lbs heavier than I am now.. those few lbs made a huge difference since I was lifting and most of my weight lost was fat not muscle. Just something to think about
  • DiIDE
    Options
    I am 5'6 126lbs. The advice I was given was from an accredited exercise physiologist, after my DEXA results. When I queried it I was told that as my weight was right for my height that I just needed to recomp lose fat and gain muscle.