Any tips for a Newbie

Options
PlusBeauty
PlusBeauty Posts: 2 Member
I'm interested in taking lessons in ga. I recently lost a lot of weight and now I'm comfortable enough to try pole lessons.

Replies

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    My tip would be to research places as much as possible. You want to make sure you go to a good place and that the teachers are certified. Don't be afraid to call the facility before going to it, and ask them what you should wear and what you should expect from the first class.

I wouldn't worry about wearing booty shorts the first few classes b/c chances are you're not going to be doing anything that requires a lot of skin, capri workout pants should do just fine.

Have fun and be prepared to be a little sore afterwards.

And congrats on the weight loss! @PlusBeauty
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I second the capri pants. The first spin or two you learn will probably involve your ankle and/or calf being on the pole. It's slippery if you have fabric covering your lower leg. Also, don't be intimidated! You will get stronger as time goes on. I almost quit in my first few classes because I was sooooooo out of shape and I thought the workout was too much for me! I find that laughable now.

Good luck and welcome to a really amazing community!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I second the capri pants. The first spin or two you learn will probably involve your ankle and/or calf being on the pole. It's slippery if you have fabric covering your lower leg. Also, don't be intimidated! You will get stronger as time goes on. I almost quit in my first few classes because I was sooooooo out of shape and I thought the workout was too much for me! I find that laughable now.

Good luck and welcome to a really amazing community!

It's amazing how much your strength changes right @Mouse_Potato ? There are things that I never imagined doing that are now a piece of cake for me now.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Oh, absolutely! In my first class the instructor had us do three pushups. I was pretty sure I was going to die. The first time I grabbed the pole and picked my feet up I pulled both biceps. I was in pain for days!

Two nights ago I was working on a Flying Body Spiral (also called reverse grab spin) to shoulder mount! And I was demo-ing the tissu climb to the rest of the class. At my age, too (42)! :smiley: