Help and warning

Options
cynthiapick
cynthiapick Posts: 49 Member
I am sorry to be a winge, but I am really struggling with our weather at the moment. I have really struggled with exercise this last week and today I made myself ill. I went for a dog walk this am, knowing that it would be a slow walk, and desperate to do some exercise for today. I just got so hot and sweaty. We ended up walking for 90 mins, the furthest that I have walked for years. But, the heat was relentless. I would also like to mention that I had a liver transplant 2 years ago and until joining MFP my energy levels were zero. Because of the immunosuppressant drugs which I have to take, I was warned that I would feel extremes of things, such as temperature, pain, emotion and so on. I was also told not to expose my skin to the sun because I stand a higher risk of getting skin cancer. What joy for a previous sun worshiper.

When we got back from the walk, I felt absolutely dreadful, but I wanted to hang out some washing, my bones ached, I was boiling up, I felt dizzy and I all but passed out in the garden. My husband got me back inside, put the fan in front of me and gave me a tall glass of water to drink, I am not a regular water drinker and I had a second glass straight after., Shortly afterwards I started to pick up.
I am ashamed to say I am sure that I was suffering from dehydration, and it was not nice. I should have know better than to allow myself to get into that condition.

The problem now is that if I give up on the walking, I will put weight on again, and that I will stiffen up and get out of the habit. I also do 60mins of aquarobics 3 times a week, but that is great. I would do that all the time but there are only 3 classes a week.

I just wish that in my little piece of our village it would rain on me and cool down. I want to feel really cold.

Rant over, but how is every one else coping, take care and be wise
Cynthia

Replies

• stayingatgoal
    Options
    First of all you are not winging . this weather is a bit of a shock to us after all in march we were all in snow lol.
    Its very important that you drink water through out the day 4/6 pints a day .
    get yourself a water jug mine holds 4 pints fill it up with low calorie squash or add a lemon try and drink that jug before 2pm and refill it and drink the second jug before going to bed.

Maybe your walk was a bit to far in this heat also .sounds like you over did it . why don't you use a step at home see how many times you can go up and down or do heel to toes.

And if you feel hot and sweaty go and have a cold shower to cool off it works for me.

I hope you have a better day and DRINK YOUR WATER take care x
  • mitfam
    mitfam Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Bless you! Can you not exercise in the evening instead when it's cooler and the sun isn't so harsh so to speak.? Since my kidney scare last year, when I go walking anywhere anytime of the year, any weather, I always take a little back pack with me and a litre of water in this amazing water container I bought online, it's called a platypus (I'll double check the name) , you can buy them with straw attachments too and at least two different sizes. Just a thought :)