What have you made in your pressure cooker?

Options
Golbat
Golbat Posts: 276 Member
I've had mine for a while but I haven't been very adventurous. I have a book by Madhur Jaffrey called something like Quick and Easy Indian Cooking, and I've made some curries out of that. Yum! I've also made pot roast. I've hard boiled eggs.

I have primarily just made the curries and I'm feeling like I'm missing out on the potential of my pressure cooker. Especially as I'm eating much better, and I will still have very little time on week nights to prepare meals. I need to get myself and my family fed, and I need to do it fast *without takeout!* Takeout is a large part of what's gotten me to the point where I'm at My Fitness Pal. :blush:

What have you made and what kinds of things would you like to make?

Replies

• dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I am a new pressure cooker owner. So far I have made Beef Tips with Mushrooms, Chicken breast from fresh and frozen, Chicken Tortilla Soup, Spaghetti with Red Clam Sauce and Chicken with Wine and Mushrooms.

I want to try to make bone broth, pho and risotto. I may add a few other things to that list after reading this post. Thanks to all for their favorites.
  • dklibert
    Options
    I made this Minestrone with a few modifications. I left out the spinach because I did not have it. I substituted 15oz diced tomatoes, 10 oz rotel tomatoes and 8 oz tomato sauce for the tomatoes in the recipe. I also use red kidney beans instead of white beans. I threw them in with everything else. I did not wait til the end. It was delicious! I will definitely make it again. I am finding that the rotel spice seems to be intensified in the pressure cooker. I may start using the mild version instead of the original.

dontmesswithmama.com/instant-pot-minestrone-soup-gluten-free-real-food/
  • dklibert
    Options
    Before I got the Instant Pot (IP) I use to poach chicken weekly. It would take almost two hour for bone in chicken breast. Lately I have been doing this in the IP.

1/2 onion roughly chopped, 1 celery stalk roughly chopped, 1 carrot peeled and roughly chopped, a few black peppercorns, sea salt, 1-1/2 cups cool water and two large chicken breast. Cook high pressure 12 minutes, then Quick Release (QR). Let sit in liquid to cool about 20 minutes. Great chicken for salads and more. I refrigerate whole until ready to use.
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    That does sound good for salads. And my younger daughter loves just plain chicken. That and hard boiled eggs. She is always hungry for those two things. I'll have to try poaching some chicken breasts.
  • dklibert
    Options
    I did it! I made Pho!

I used Cuong Can Cook's* method for the IP and his suggestion of chicken breast on the bone. I used my recipe for the Pho for seasonings. It turned out so good. I did not take any pictures unfortunately. But I will definitely be making again. I will get photos for my blog then.

Here are the links if you are interested:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=7w8zsYfnbpM&index=8&list=PLqYUdcwwirZq__ssT-ATheR1AOm3ILceY
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/02/chicken-pho.html

* Just a warning Cuong is a character. No bad language but he does enjoy an adult beverage when he cooks.
  • dklibert
    Options
    I have been busy with the IP over the past 2 weeks. I made Ramen too! It was not instant at all! It took time but I don't think I could have got the flavor that fast on the stove. I did do a blog post on this adventure (I will post the link). It turned out so good! I think I will need a freezer just to store Pho and Ramen broth.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2016/08/instant-pot-sake-special-ramen.html

Sake%2BSpecial%2BRamen%2BIP.jpg

• dklibert
    Options
    One more. Last night I did an old tried and true soup recipe in the instant pot. It was fast. Only 4 minutes under high pressure. I didn't have to stir and it did not heat up the kitchen. Turned out really good! Tasted like it have been cooking a while, all the flavors where blended. I am beginning to love the pressure cooker.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2016/08/instant-pot-spicy-beef-vegetable-soup.html

Soup%2Bis%2BDone.jpg
  • dklibert
    Options
    I made Shrimp Scampi Paella tonight. It is very good! I will definitely make it again. Will experiment with the amount of broth next time to see it I can get the rice a little fluffier.
    healthstartsinthekitchen.com/recipe/5-minute-pressure-cooker-shrimp-scampi-paella/
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    dklibert wrote: »
    I made Shrimp Scampi Paella tonight. It is very good! I will definitely make it again. Will experiment with the amount of broth next time to see it I can get the rice a little fluffier.
    healthstartsinthekitchen.com/recipe/5-minute-pressure-cooker-shrimp-scampi-paella/

I want to make that one but use less butter.. not sure how that would turn out. The price of shrimp has been stopping me though.

I made this yesterday

http://www.healthstartsinthekitchen.com/recipe/pressure-cooker-chipotle-chicken-black-beans-and-rice/

I like it, will probably make it again, great macros too (I used 1.5 lb of chicken). It did have too much liquid though so I'll have to skip the water.
  • dklibert
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Last night I made a recipe for Instantpot eye of round beef in mushroom sauce. Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn that was good. Cheap cut of meat never tasted this good :) without roasting for hours and hours.

Ooh! That sounds good. I will look that one up. Thanks!
  • dklibert
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    dklibert wrote: »

I want to make that one but use less butter.. not sure how that would turn out. The price of shrimp has been stopping me though.

I made this yesterday

http://www.healthstartsinthekitchen.com/recipe/pressure-cooker-chipotle-chicken-black-beans-and-rice/

I like it, will probably make it again, great macros too (I used 1.5 lb of chicken). It did have too much liquid though so I'll have to skip the water.

I know it is a lot of butter. I am going to try with less next time. I have done rice without butter before so it should work with less. That Chipotle Chicken Beans and Rice looks great too!
  • lynnbaum
    lynnbaum Posts: 310 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I got that double rack of ribs from Sams. It all fit and 35 min in my pot. It did take me an hour on warm to do a release. I had other things to do. Worked great. I stuck them in the oven to sauce them off. Worked great. I heated oven to 425 and then turned off when I put the ribs in. Make sure you only leave in oven for about 5 min. This was a really tight fit but I cut them into sizes to make it all fit.btw55ikmlmlp.jpg
  • dklibert
    Options
    lynnbaum wrote: »
    I got that double rack of ribs from Sams. It all fit and 35 min in my pot. It did take me an hour on warm to do a release. I had other things to do. Worked great. I stuck them in the oven to sauce them off. Worked great. I heated oven to 425 and then turned off when I put the ribs in. Make sure you only leave in oven for about 5 min. This was a really tight fit but I cut them into sizes to make it all fit.btw55ikmlmlp.jpg

I have been wanting to try ribs. Yours look delicious!
  • lynnbaum
    lynnbaum Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I made bean soup. I did soak my beans. Turned out great. I used a powder bone broth.
  • dklibert
    Options
    lynnbaum wrote: »
    I made bean soup. I did soak my beans. Turned out great. I used a powder bone broth.

Sounds great! I have made black beans from dry and it turned out good too. Been craving red beans. Might have to try before it gets too warm.
  • dklibert
    Options
    Made Rachael Ray's Chicken, Sausage and Escarole Soup in the Instant Pot this weekend. Used Chicken Bone Broth also made in the Instant Pot. Amazing! Followed the recipe steps using saute; then cooked on manual, high pressure for 5 minutes, then quick release. So good! rachaelrayshow.com/recipes/24289_chicken_sausage_and_escarole_stoup/
  • dklibert
    Options
    I have Ina Garten's Beef Bourguignon going on in the pressure cooker right now. Not the healthiest dish but it was what a sick family member requested. I will let you know the results.
  • dklibert
    Options
    It turned out delicious! I cooked basically the same way at least same steps. I pressure cooked 20 minutes on high, with a 8 minute natural pressure release then added the remaining ingredients and brought to a boil on saute to thicken the sauce. I did reduce the wine by half. I think I could even reduce the liquid a little more. There was a lot of sauce. I will definitely try again until I get it perfect. I will also see how I can make it a bit healthier too. Here is a link to the recipe. foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/beef-bourguignon-recipe
  • dklibert
    Options
    I should say I also skipped the cognac. ;)