Ugh. I officially hate eating at restaurants now.

2»

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Good point. Plenty of good cooks are happy for any excuse to go off - menu, and the prices are often pretty good.

If not - and especially if the prices are high (like for a naked slab of salmon or tuna sans tater tots) - that might be a sign to pulll up stakes....
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Sushi rolls without rice are called Naruto rolls. Every place makes them a bit differently but it's usually crab, shrimp or salmon with avocado, wrapped with cucumber with a sauce. I've had some delicious ones but to me it's just not that filling.
  • Zenwenner
    Zenwenner Posts: 166 Member
    I limited myself to only one order of rolls, where I used to always have two - so not much rice. I felt fine although my son told me later when I *ahem* farted that it smelled like "something rotten in the state of denmark" and I couldn't help but laugh...
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Zenwenner wrote: »
    I limited myself to only one order of rolls, where I used to always have two - so not much rice. I felt fine although my son told me later when I *ahem* farted that it smelled like "something rotten in the state of denmark" and I couldn't help but laugh...

Hahahahaha!!!!

• RalfLott
    edited August 2016
    Zenwenner wrote: »

Carbs are hazardous to the ozone layer.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Man, I genuinely feel bad for you guys who HAVE to eat this way. It's not because I love carbs, but because if I do accidentally eat a bunch of them, the worst thing I get is some bulk-up in the muscles, and feeling like my body is a burning building, and ridiculous energy levels for a few hours. Being left feeling hazy, bloated, and miserable due to potentially hidden ingredients would piss me off to no end.

It's a mixed blessing. On the one hand, you can't get away with "slipping" or "cheating," so it keeps motivation high. On the other hand, you have to be really diligent about everything.
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    I LOVE eating in restaurants. Salads with meat or seafood. Bunlesss burgers with everything on them and extra salad. Steaks. Sashimi. The list is endless.
  • BaconSan2
    BaconSan2 Posts: 260 Member
    I love eating - anywhere - everywhere
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Do they have a hibachi grill? Then it would be easy to choose.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Mongolian Grill is a great place/way to eat too.
    They are all essentially exactly the same: get a bowl, fill it with the raw ingredients and sauces, and then watch as they use their high-temperature mega-skillet to cook it up in a jiffy. Very exciting stuff. (That sounds sarcastic, but I actually mean it! It’s fun!) They also are pretty darn cheap for a meal out.
    Expect to find a long buffet complete with frozen meat shavings, veggies, tofu, and sauces. Just grab yourself a bowl and fill ‘er up with whatever strikes your fancy. There’s always a guide posted by the sauces for common flavours (watch out for sweetened ones like Teriyaki, etc) or just mix it up and have fun. Then leave your bowl on the counter beside the man with the giant grill and go sit down. They bring it to you after cooking. Skip rice and udon noodles as a side, of course.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Mongolian Grill is a great place/way to eat too.
    They are all essentially exactly the same: get a bowl, fill it with the raw ingredients and sauces, and then watch as they use their high-temperature mega-skillet to cook it up in a jiffy. Very exciting stuff. (That sounds sarcastic, but I actually mean it! It’s fun!) They also are pretty darn cheap for a meal out.
    Expect to find a long buffet complete with frozen meat shavings, veggies, tofu, and sauces. Just grab yourself a bowl and fill ‘er up with whatever strikes your fancy. There’s always a guide posted by the sauces for common flavours (watch out for sweetened ones like Teriyaki, etc) or just mix it up and have fun. Then leave your bowl on the counter beside the man with the giant grill and go sit down. They bring it to you after cooking. Skip rice and udon noodles as a side, of course.

I've heard about those places, and I think there's one near me. (Yeap just Googled it, Ghengis Grill, about fifteen minutes from me). Gonna have to hit them up one of these days, the next time Bug is up here as opposed to me being at her house.
  • RalfLott
    [ Gonna have to hit them up one of these days, the next time Bug is up here as opposed to me being at her house.

Hope she's olfactorily forgiving/oblivious when it comes to further-fermented Sauerkraut pounding the beach in her powder room.....

• xosummerrainxo
    xosummerrainxo Posts: 112 Member
    What are the best sauces to get at the Mongolian Grill type places? Typically they offer The Hibachi or Teriyaki sauces. Perhaps get one of them on the side but would be best cooked in it . Or could you just go for garlic and oil and maybe some soy?
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    gl69ed77qaij.jpeg

There's always something to eat when going out. I went to a Quinceanera (think Sweet 16 for Hispanics) and they had rice, beans, tortillas but I made myself a plate of the good stuff. Birria (goat slow cooked with chiles) and chicken chile verde with a side salad. Sure, I got some weird looks from people "What?? No tortilla?" But you just shake your head and smile.