Pedaling Goadies - Weekend Preview!

Options
Swtdwy
Swtdwy Posts: 83 Member
This is your e-paceline, no drops and all are welcome. You bought it so ride it! Newbies, veterans, roadies, mtbers share your adventures, ask your questions and inspire the rest!
From one speed to a gazillion gears. From one mile to mucho more

QOTD: What are your riding plans this weekend? Century? Short trip to the market? All miles are good miles!

Replies

• Swtdwy
    Options
    Still dealing with a cold, but seems to be in its final stages. Group is heading back to the coast on Saturday, to ride from Ventura up to Santa Barbara, via Ojai (Casitas Pass). We do these roads a lot and they are used for a number of local century rides, and frequently for the Amgen tour as well. This ride is supposed to be about 66 miles, with maybe 3500' of climbing, 90% of it is front-loaded in the first 20 miles. I may bypass the Ojai (and most of the climbing by just going straight up the coast, and meet the group at mile 25 or so. Or I may go option 2...

DS#1 wanted a drone, so I may him a deal. He was allowed to buy it (though he hasn't paid us back yet...hmmm) if he agrees to run SAG for an unspecified number of our rides, and take drone footage of us. If he does that, I may just ride with him the first 20 or so miles, and then hop on the bike.

Either way, it will be nice to escape the triple digit weather at my house!
  • lilybbbbb
    lilybbbbb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi, Mark!!!
    I'm going to take the MTB out next couple of days.

Mom and Dad finally got a bike rack (!) so they can get her cruiser and his hardtail down to the Capital Trail for some safe riding. I would've loved to take them but already had plans, so we may go Monday. They are totally inexperienced, and I'm really looking forward to helping them get a fun start!
  • 0ysterboy
    0ysterboy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Got a 30 mile ride planned Sunday AM, gonna be hot!
  • Swtdwy
    Options
    I did get a 63 mile ride in on Saturday up and down the coast. The rest of my group to the hard way up over Casitas pass (about 2000' of climbing in 20-ish miles. I took the coastal route and met them after about 18 miles. For a "flattish" coastal route, I still had about 2000' total elevation. It was a good ride. We stopped at a popular beachside burger place about 15 miles from the start for lunch. Good stuff.

Yesterday did a shorter ride, which served as a good recovery ride. About 23 miles. The way out seemed really hard. I hate going that direction...it's slightly uphill (1-2%) and there's usually a headwind. So you think it's flat, but it's the equivalent of a 3% grade, so it's just a grind. Way back was fun though!
  • lilybbbbb
    Options
    I crashed hard yesterday :s
    Bruised and scraped from forearm all the way through armpit down side and back, then over to knee. Traps and rhombs are SORE.
    I expect it to get a little worse before it gets better, but I'm very fortunate not to have broken anything...
    AND THE BIKE IS FINE.

Still moving around successfully at work--wish I could've at least gotten a day off out of it ;)
  • Swtdwy
    Options
    Dang Lily! Hope you feel better soon.

One of our guys crashed yesterday when coming to an unexpected group stop. Just some scrapes on him, but he broke two spokes. Had to call Uber to come pick him up and take him to his car. Sigh.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Glad you're ok. I toppled over on Saturday while slowly climbing a steep hill. Just not paying attention and allowed myself to come to a near dead stop while forgetting to remember that my feet were clipped to the pedals. D'oh. D'oh. D'oh.

(This doesn't happen to runners!)
  • lilybbbbb
    Options
    Mark & Brian, maybe you have both demonstrated why one should never stop pedaling... ;)
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Well, yeah. But there's something to be said for realizing the inevitable and toppling with grace. Lol. Yeah, right. The only good thing about my slow motion toppling was no one was around to see it!
  • Swtdwy
    Options
    The slow motion topple can be painful (a friend broke two ribs and a hip on one of those). But I'll take my chances with that over a high sped spill!
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,105 Member
    Options
    I hear ya Mark although injuries can often be due to our height above the ground in a fall regardless of speed. Tumbling of course is never good. Anyhoo Lily/Carmen I am glad you didn't have any fractures. I actually (technically speaking) sorta had a topple over riding in areas of deep drifting sand dunes over the week-end. Last time I rode there the issue was some deep puddles of water on the trail out to the jetty. With the warm dry weather and some horses on the trail there were long pits with "sand dune loose" areas that were easily up to a foot or more deep. I was trying to "power" my way through more of these spots and doing better on the way back. I had walked a lot on the way out but improved on the way back. One spot I was powering on my 700C x 28 tires and just slithered off the pit. I was out of my clips and "standing" upright as the bike went down and tripped over it in the dune shrubs falling on top of stopped bike. Even my son and daughter-in-law who races had to walk some with their 700C x 40 gravel tires . I think even MTB bikes might not make it. You really needed a fat bike to do 100% of it on the bike.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I rented a bike while up in northern Wisconsin (Bayfield north of Ashland). Brought my pedals with which helped with the long and sometimes steep climbs. Got 23 & 31 miles in while DH slept in. Such pretty country!

No tipping over for me but did have a close call in loose gravel at the bottom of short hill where I needed to turn to pick up the trail.

I belong to the club of those who couldn't get clipped out soon enough at stop signs. At 5'11" its a long way down.
  • lilybbbbb
    Options
    Bob, that is crazy! I do like your description of "slithered off the pit" but you are describing almost the exact conditions I found myself in. We've had so much rain this summer that there's been a lot of rutting and unearthing/redistribution of rocks of all origins and sizes... followed by a very dry week that left a sandy, slippery surface. I slid out and just crashed about halfway down an 8-foot drop through small trees, brush, and brambles. I think part of the reason my back is so sore is that I was fighting so hard (like you) to stay upright and not hit my head.
  • podkey
    Options
    Yeah this path turned from packed to deep areas of flour like small sand dunes in long trenches. I have a mini tattoo that looks like my rear chain cluster on my left leg. Kinda funny.
  • klmackey893
    klmackey893 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    no riding this week for me. I am in the northwest visiting family and today we are off to Billings MT for a family reunion for DW's family. Back in the saddle next week.
  • glennowill
    glennowill Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of new to road biking, just got my first roadie this summer - a Motobecane Vent Noir off of Bikesdirect.com. It came with clipless, but I'm using platform pedals for the time being, and none of my rides have been over 26 miles. My brother in law even set me up with some hand me down bibs and a jersey! Planning on a quick 6-7 after work, and possibly a longer 20ish this weekend. Supposed to be in the mid 70s here on Sunday.
  • podkey
    Options
    Going to be over 100deg today so will get out early for a spin.