Dear God, the Foods I Am Falling In Love With...

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    I bought kimchi because of this thread and now I don't know what to eat it with. LOL Suggestions? We're having BBQ'd smokies this week, so I thought I'd try it on those... any other ideas?

Eat it out of the jar, like a heathen.

I just use it as a side accompaniment with meat. Smokies should be good!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    I bought kimchi because of this thread and now I don't know what to eat it with. LOL Suggestions? We're having BBQ'd smokies this week, so I thought I'd try it on those... any other ideas?

Pretty much this. It goes exceptionally well with eggs, but any meat that I have paired it with thus far (including ground beef, chicken thighs, wings, and legs, etc.) has worked very well with it.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    I mix kimchi with cooked greens or cabbage and ham hocks. Delicious!!!
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    I got some cabbage, and I'm going to try my hand at making some. Thanks @RalfLott for the video!
  • anewlifeat40
    anewlifeat40 Posts: 179 Member

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    If you like curry, here's an interesting one I'm itching to try:

http://www.sarahwilson.com/2016/04/my-indian-kimchee-recipe-the-best-probiotic-foodm/
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member

I also just scoop a pile onto my plate to eat with meat, but its also pretty good in a spicy asian soup. I'll often just toss it in a pot with some miso & dashi or some chicken broth along with some garlic, ginger, lemongrass, fresh chillis & some chopped up bits of chicken, beef or pork.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    edited August 2016
    co_lau wrote: »
    it's going to make me poop, isnt it...... :/

Nevermind my previous response. It was just delayed by a couple of days. The pooping is real. My roommate is angry. This apartment smells like the inside of bloated roadkill.

@Gallowmere1984 Try to find lacto-fermented sauerkraut. Your roommate will thank you.

I hope your butt is feeling better now, I suggest getting a lot of Febreeze and scented candles in to kill the poop smell and some aloe vera butt wipes, your backside will thank you.

Where I am from we eat a lot of sauerkraut, I have yet to make my own or find a decent substitute here in the UK, but we eat it with anything meaty, makes a great and refreshing side dish. I have been known to eat it straight out from the jar with a fork from the fridge. I've had Kimchi a few times at Korean restaurants and OMG that stuff is amazing!
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member

Nevermind my previous response. It was just delayed by a couple of days. The pooping is real. My roommate is angry. This apartment smells like the inside of bloated roadkill.

@Gallowmere1984 Try to find lacto-fermented sauerkraut. Your roommate will thank you.

You could also get some poopourri. I swear by that stuff, haha.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Kimo159 wrote: »

Poopourri?

(Type of fermented product?)
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Kimo159 wrote: »

Poopourri?

(Type of fermented product?)

https://www.amazon.ca/Poo-Pourri-Before-You-Go-Toilet-2-Ounce-Original/dp/B0014DP9Y4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471471786&sr=8-1&keywords=poo+pourri+toilet+spray

It's great!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    That stuff works wonderfully!! Found at my local drug store! Funny name, but yes, it works!!
  • Zenwenner
    Zenwenner Posts: 166 Member
    @Gallowmere1984 LOLOL you are hilarious!
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Screw that noise. Their kids annoy the hell out of me, and this is a free way for me to get back at them. Bonus points because my apartment is under an building old code, where a ventilation fan isn't required in the bathroom.

Hahahahaha. Okay well then, continue eating as you are!
  • anewlifeat40
    anewlifeat40 Posts: 179 Member
    Kimchi is AWESOME!! Just had some with my Bavarian cheddar smokies for dinner... The other two globs are sauerkraut and Dijon mustard...

6ooy5gur2ksp.jpeg
  • Gallowmere1984
    That looks fantastic all the way around. :D
  • Zenwenner
    Zenwenner Posts: 166 Member
    I have never had kimchi...not even sure what it is! *blush*
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Kimchi is AWESOME!! Just had some with my Bavarian cheddar smokies for dinner... The other two globs are sauerkraut and Dijon mustard...

6ooy5gur2ksp.jpeg

This looks fantastic! Yummo! I need to eat kimchi, I grew up eating it and just don't think to buy it-its been ages. Had some hot sauce sardines the other day..mmm forgot how good those are too! @Gallowmere1984 you're giving some great foodie ideas, I'm looking for marscaponae cheese the next time I am at the store!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Zenwenner wrote: »
    I have never had kimchi...not even sure what it is! *blush*

It's spiced and fermented cabbage. Just be careful the first time you ever open a jar. The gas from the fermentation process will cause some pressurized seepage when you first open the lid. I learned that the hard way.