How do you treat...

Options
Cyndi146
Cyndi146 Posts: 411 Member
an upset stomach? My go to food ever since I was a kid has always been saltines and bready type food. When feeling queasy, it's hard to imagine eating meat or cheese. What do you use?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Depends on the type of upset stomach. Generally some ACV in water...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Pickle juice for me always helps. But the only thing that seems to upset mine is fiber...
  • Cyndi146
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The queasy type. I get motion sickness VERY easily. Other things (bad sleep, too much sun) affect me in that same queasy, car sick feeling. I didn't sleep well last night and woke up feeling a little off but not bad. It wasn't until AFTER I had some ACV in water that I began feeling nauseous. It's tapered down some but it's 6 hours later and I'm still not feeling great.

eta: Have been Keto since June 1st. Body is otherwise feeling great so I don't think it's related at all to Keto flu.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I must admit I am terrible at this. When I get an upset tummy I just don't eat, which I know is the wrong answer here. I just cannot face eating when I feel queasy. So following this thread to see what other people come up with.
  • Cyndi146
    Options
    @Bonny132 that has been my method today. I'm drinking a lot of water and had some diet soda to try to settle things down (another treatment from my youth). Maybe I'll just skip eating altogether today and call it my IF day :)
  • Cyndi146
    Options
    I've tried the ginger chews for motion sickness and they just aren't quite strong enough. I use full on drugs - Meclizine - and double the dosage. I wonder if the ginger would be strong enough though since I'm not in a car. Thanks @RunRachelleRun I'll give it a try.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    The ginger chews didn't work well for me either. I thought I might just have not used enough. I've never tried drugs, but I'm usually okay in the car as long as I don't try to read or similar and can look at the road ahead. Boats are another matter.

Still, I make a strong ginger tea and it helps with regular nausea. I haven't had nausea since trying to lower my carbs, so all my normal foods are carby: bananas, rice, dry toast, crackers. Maybe a little lean chicken would be easy to digest if you're hungry.

And for stomach cramps, I have found raspberry leaf tea to really help. I have no idea why it does, but someone bought it for me 20 years ago when I was pregnant, and it worked. I've been using it since.
  • LemonMarmalade
    LemonMarmalade Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I make peppermint tea if I can't stomach bone broth. Antacids occasionally and pepto if it's really bad.:)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Cyndi146 wrote: »
    The queasy type. I get motion sickness VERY easily. Other things (bad sleep, too much sun) affect me in that same queasy, car sick feeling. I didn't sleep well last night and woke up feeling a little off but not bad. It wasn't until AFTER I had some ACV in water that I began feeling nauseous. It's tapered down some but it's 6 hours later and I'm still not feeling great.

eta: Have been Keto since June 1st. Body is otherwise feeling great so I don't think it's related at all to Keto flu.

Nobody ever does...
    Keto flu is simply low electrolytes (mostly sodium) and isn't limited to the beginning of your Keto life.

How much sodium do you get a day? Every day... The needs for sodium never end.

Try the pickle juice.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Whenever I feel sick (usually after pushing myself hard in the gym) I have found it best to just make my next meal a liquid one. Protein powder in almond milk with a bit of coconut oil mixed in usually settles things down for me, salt added if I feel like that's where my problem lies.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Usually a few drops of peppermint oil in a cup of hot water settles my belly problems. I do add a bit of stevia or other artificial sweetener of choice.
    I have taken ginger capsules when traveling to alleviate motion sickness but in very LARGE doses. If the bottle says 1 capsule, I take 3
  • dmariet116
    Options
    If by chance it is from low sodium, hot bouillon has saved me from the dizziness on more than one occasion!
  • dmariet116
    edited August 2016
    Options
    OOOO!!! And catnip tea. Gave that to the kids for colic and upset tummies! AND great for hangovers!!! ;)
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    dmariet116 wrote: »
    If by chance it is from low sodium, hot bouillon has saved me from the dizziness on more than one occasion!

I was thinking the same thing. I have issues with low sodium when keto and even just low carb, pickle juice helps so does salt water, I don't like bouillon but that would probably work to
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I make ginger tea whenever I feel nauseated. Fresh is best (peel and slice the root in small chunks and let it steep about 10 minutes), but you can find tea bags with dried ginger only. For motion sickness, you can also buy ginger chews or lozenges specially for that purpose. Feel better!

Yep, ginger.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Oh, and sunny is right on. The need for electrolytes doesn't go away. We started the same day, I still get sick/nausea/headache when I need sodium. So yeah, try the pickle juice.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    This has been a problem for me! Some things that have helped at different times:
    * peppermint tea
    * ginger tea
    * a little peppermint essential oil dabbed on my neck (that has worked especially well for queasiness)
    * sea bands
    * drinking broth
    * keto egg drop soup (esp if I need to eat but can't stomach anything else)
    * plain chicken breast with some sea salt

I have tried drinking pickle juice and diluted ACV and while I actually love the taste of both, both of those made mine worse. It's worth trying different things til you find what works for you!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Antacids have also been helpful for me at times.