Sleep + Lifting Performance

Options
EPICUREASIAN
EPICUREASIAN Posts: 147 Member
I have learned that my lift performance suffers tremendously when I don't get enough sleep. And of course, the older I get, the more hours I need to recover (9-10 hrs). Yesterday was prime example of my dropping 20lbs from the bar just to get through my workout. Unfortunately my schedule is so full that I can't seem to get to bed early enough...and when I do, I'm so wired that I can't sleep. Anyone experience the same?

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Yes! This past weekend I got a ton of sleep and didn't lift at all. On Monday I had a great workout and was able to up all weights. It makes a big difference.

Is there anything you can cut out of your schedule? Also, try reading a boring book before bed....maybe a math textbook LOL.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Uch... I know more sleep would mean more progress for me too.. but it's just not happening for me (two kids.. one 6 month old that is up all night, sigh) and it definitely shows in my sessions. I am LUCKY if I get 4-5h of broken up sleep.. I know it's not enough for recovery but in the end I try my best and do what I can!