Living the Lifestyle 8/17/16

Options
Rachel0778
Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
Everyone says it, but just how do you do it? How do you take the guidelines of the WW program and turn them into a lifestyle you can live every day...from now on? That is what we are here to explore. Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Newbie? Join in! Veteran? Join in! Your thoughts may be just what someone else needs to hear.

Monday -- GadgetGirlIL (Regina)
Tuesday -- goldenfrisbee (Chris)
Wednesday -- Rachel0778 (Rachel)
Thursday -- misterhub (Greg)
Friday -- Jbrack381us (Joe)

Topic: What routines have you put in place that you feel have helped the most with weight loss/weight maintenance?

Replies

• Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    My boxing and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu practices make sure that I get plenty of activity. It's hard to skip because then I'm being a bad team member (and wasting money). Plus when I exercise, it seems to be a catalyst for eating healthier.
  • DavidKuhnsSr
    DavidKuhnsSr Posts: 6,835 Member
    Options
    I have maintained for quite a while. I tend to eat the same things for breakfast and lunch, almost every day, so no thought or planning is required. I also go for a long, fast walk almost every morning.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,195 Member
    Options
    Walking. Definitely walking. My weight, coupled with the results of some previous athletic injuries, have limited some of my movement. But, walking is leading me back to a path where I can, hopefully, participate in some more demanding activities. Burning calories is a nice side effect.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Eating less.
  • 60in2017
    60in2017 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've always exercised and eaten healthy foods, even at my highest weight. My problem is binge eating - I can pack away an enormous amount of calories in a short time and sometimes my binges go on for weeks. If "not binging" can be considered a routine, this has been the most important thing for me, getting a handle on binging. The longer I go without one or the shorter I can make it if I am having a problem, the better I do at weight loss and maintenance of any lost pounds.
  • goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    Definitely tracking. This time around instead of using the Simply Filling technique I'm counting everything on the MFP app and finding that it is not burdensome. I really like being able to eat any type of food I want and I always know if I'm on target for the day. If feels pretty good to be able to have an ice cream sandwich at the end of the day and know that I"m still on track.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Weighing & measuring my food. I haven't counted a point in years. But I still weigh and measure when at home. Guess I intuit how much a serving should be in advance and go from there.

My off switch when eating is not well developed. Even after all this time.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Running, lifting, biking. Staying on an activity plan has helped the most.

Question for another day: do I over rely on doing more and under rely on eating less? (Spoiler alert: the answer is yes).

• Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,696 Member
    Options
    I weigh, measure and track as much as possible. When I do not do this everything falls apart It is just what I need to stay focused.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,076 Member
    Options
    Yeah walking, biking, eating same breakfast,lunch daily plus also weighing daily. I don't rely on moving more to "offset" eating more but I am sure it doesn't hurt either.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,076 Member
    Options
    Yeah my DW brought home a humongous bag of leftover Doritos from the beach which my daughter had purchased for her son and friend. She didn't want to bring them home as the son didn't like the flavor. Uh we didn't need them either.

I ate too many the night I got home from the beach with the bag in my purview. Bag got tossed next day. My DW is not so much a trigger eater of chips etc. We had no "need" for them either.
  • gregorybald
    gregorybald Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Weighing daily and recording what I eat.
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    Daily weight for me too! It helps me see the true story!

And weighing and measuring my food. Even when I'm not tracking (and I am right now, for the last 5 weeks today, Go Me!!!), I still tend to weigh and measure food. It really is a habit!
  • leeless511
    leeless511 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I still track everyday and measure/weigh many of my foods. It's become a habit and I do it without much effort or thought. I am in my 4th year of maintenance but currently slowly trying to lose about 5 more pounds but I never really changed much once I hit goal.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    Almost too many to list. I will list my top five Lifestyle changes:
    1 portion control
    2. No mindless snacking
    3. Exercise regularly 4X a week
    4. No fast food
    5. Eating HEALTHY
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,915 Member
    Options
    Tracking, tracking and tracking!
  • spospo1
    spospo1 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Tracking. Working on the exercise part.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,944 Member
    Options
    Making dinner at home instead of ordering in or going out a lot has been a big help. That also allows for having left-overs for lunch, and therefore not having a heavy lunch every day!
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,532 Member
    Options
    Being active and tracking. I tend to make better decisions
  • lilybbbbb
    lilybbbbb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I always eat healthy and in reasonable amounts before 5pm-ish. I generally have a high level of activity, also. problem areas are eating/drinking too much in the evenings, particularly when coupled with a decreased activity level.

I know that sounds all common sense, but it's the flexibility of my routine that allows me to maintain it... until I don't.