Ahh, eating and drinking my way through the Alaska Inside Passage

Options
wwchrisdad
wwchrisdad Posts: 139 Member
My first cruise. Been on my bucket list since I retired and just returned with DW, DS & DD. Everything and more than I expected, including the non-stop eating, plus this particular cruise had a Beer Fest from the Alaska Brewery on board. I planned on enjoying it all, including beautiful Alaska, the food and the beer. Gained 7 lbs. in 10 days but could have been worse but walked very day and even through in a 6 hour hike. On the plus side, statistics show the average cruise passenger gians 10-15 lbs., so I stayed below that. Don't regret anything and am "back on the wagon" to get back to goal.

Replies

• crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,998 Member
    Options
    One of the all- time great vacations. Three weeks from now those pounds will be a memory - but you'll still have the cruise.

Did you see the "Once you get off the bus, you're part of the food chain" bumper sticker?
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    wwchrisdad wrote: »
    Don't regret anything and am "back on the wagon" to get back to goal.

Awesome! Sounds like a great trip and you made it work in a way that works for you. Doesn't get any better than that, does it?

Too bad we can't see the slide show :'( . One of these days, I'd love to get to AK!

• gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    We traveled to Alaska in 2000. Our trip was with The Boat Company. They had turned old WW II minesweepers into tour boats - only 10 cabins so it was intimate. Small boat meant we could get way up the various inlets. I think we went 5 days without seeing another boat. My only regret was that I was pushing 300 pounds at the time of that trip so I wasn't able to fully participate in all of the activities, such as canoeing (my knee was really hurting and I just felt clumsy at that weight). We did get to take a flight over the glaciers in a seaplane. That was amazing!

So glad you got to experience the beauty of Alaska!
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Alaskan cruise is one of the things on my bucket list.

I've been on several cruises and after the first one the food really no longer held any interest for me. Especially since there's food available 24 hours a day.

Glad you enjoyed the cruise and particularly happy that you weren't one of those people who tried to stay on a "diet" while vacationing. Life is too short not to enjoy it!

Charlie's right -- that weight you gained will be gone soon. But those memories will last a lifetime!
  • MurpleCat
    MurpleCat Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Went to Alaska but not on a cruise (holds very little interest for me). Went in June, so nearly 23 hours of sunlight. Did a lot of the inland stuff, museums in Anchorage, the farmer's market there was great, such huge produce! Even the dandelions were thigh-high. Also, Christmas wreaths made from spent shotgun shells. Visited a quiviut farm, the native cultural center, saw demos of the games they would play over the winter to stay fit. Did a day trip to Seward to see the glaciers and the aquarium, plus all the sea life coming close to the boat. Didn't make it to Denali, but next time...

Great trip, definitely recommend it if you can arrange it!
  • wwchrisdad
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments. I was on the Holland America Noordam, and can only say 90% of the food was waaaay above average. Things like their bagels (I'm from NY) had no interest for me but stuff like made to order omelets with things Salmon and rare mushrooms are things I wouldn't usually have and may not for a long time. In addition we ate one night at their "special" Pinnacle restaurant and everyone agreed it was one of the best streaks they ever had. My meeting is tonight and prepared to pay to attend (I'm Lifetime at goal) and face the accountability of the scale. Can only say, if you get the chance, go to Alaska!
  • lowbar31
    lowbar31 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Sounds great. I did the Inside Passage in 09. We have a Scandinavian - Russia cruise coming up. There is a balance between enjoying the food and not over indulging but yeh, you will put on a few pounds.
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    wwchrisdad wrote: »
    Thanks for all the comments. I was on the Holland America Noordam, and can only say 90% of the food was waaaay above average. Things like their bagels (I'm from NY) had no interest for me but stuff like made to order omelets with things Salmon and rare mushrooms are things I wouldn't usually have and may not for a long time.

That's probably the biggest difference pre weight loss and now! Is for me at least! Recognizing that some of the food isn't worth it and some is!!!

We cruise often and the last cruise was a 9 day to NE last fall. I gained 7#s too despite walking well over 60 miles! Gotta wonder what we would have gained if we hadn't been active don't you? And if you buckle down and get back OP, it will be gone in a few weeks. You got this!

And your trips sounds amazing!
  • wwchrisdad
    Options
    Yes, did the walking thing around the promenade and averaged 15,000 steps a day, which saved a few of those gained pounds.
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,998 Member
    Options
    6iih3gctod6e.jpeg
  • Swtdwy
    Swtdwy Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    We did that cruise in 2005 and it was a nightmare. Family stuff (in-laws!), not the scenery or the boat or anything. DW and I saying "screw it, let's do the helicopter" prevented the trip from being a total waste. So now that the kids are bit older and will appreciate it more, we want to go again.

Number one rule for cruises and eating...always take the stairs!
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    We traveled to Alaska in 2000. Our trip was with The Boat Company.

Wow--just took a peak at their website. Very enticing...thanks for the info Regina!

• Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    My trip was on the ferry paid for by Uncle Sam as part of my move to work at Elmendorf AFB. We got to see the scenic beauty but no cruise food.
    Two years in AK was enough for me, beautiful but the short winter daylight hours did not appeal to me.