Dehydration issues

Options
I am faithfully following the Lchf program and loving it . My problem is that I am severely dehydrated. I am working out everyday and out in the sun . I am drinking at least 2 litres of water and taking magnesium. I hardly pee so therefore I must be dehydrated . Any suggestions ?

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    what about your other electrolytes? also 2L seems like too little to me (but I'm a 5+L a day gal)
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    you probably need more sodium. though normally when I'm getting dehydrated because of lchf I pee a lot. so its possible you need more water, or try something like powerade 0 it'll give you a little extra sodium as well, or you can make your own.
  • McShorty7
    McShorty7 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Add a bit of salt to your water to encourage hydration.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @thewautiers

Water, sodium, and then magnesium/potassium are a very delicate balance. I don't add one without the others, though my food intake seems to take care of the potassium bit okay for me, except on super sweaty/hot/busy days...because if I add it on normal days, it makes me dump/deplete the mag with a quickness.

Since my car doesn't have AC, and we've been apartment hunting in 100 degree + weather, I've been using the "true lime" drink packets, 1 to a water bottle with, 1/2 of a 1/8 tsp (so 1/16th a tsp) of lite salt and one of magnesium carbonate powder as a "gatorade" replacement. I have to cut my normal mag (am and pm) down to half a dose if I do more than one of these alternated with water.

My average water is probably 100 oz a day, but a good one is 130 oz +, so yesterday was about a 4 liter day...and there was no keto-ade or sweating involved, really...Hope this helps. I also keep my average sodium around the 4000-5000 mg daily amount...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Not peeing often? What does that mean exactly? How many times a day is considered normal?
    I definitely go more often in the morning due to coffee but then I probably go only about every 5 hours.
    It seems weird that I know this, but I've been experimenting with ketone strips and so I literally know how many times a day I go depending on my coffee and water intake. Lol
    When I drink to thirst only, it seems like I only go about 3-4 times a day, including the coffee induced diuretic mornings.
    I don't feel dehydrated, and I have found I only tend to take in 60-ish ounces of fluids (all fluids, not just water) when I drink to thirst only. I do make sure to get extra sodium at some point almost every day. Something beyond just salting food or eating something extra salty.

Do you have any of the low sodium symptoms? Headache, lightheaded especially upon standing, nausea...?

If you're sweating and drinking a lot of water, you'll need sodium at the higher end of the 3000-5000mg a day recommendation. Possibly even more than that.

But I don't know if just not going often necessarily means you're dehydrated if there aren't any symptoms.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I consider myself hydrated if I have taken in enough liquid to turn my pee from yellow (first thing in the morning) to a very light, washed out colour.