MACROS??

Options
Hi all,
I am unable to eat all my fat and protein. I fell short of 20% approx everyday. Will this affect my weight loss journey. So far I have lost 3 kgs in 20 days.
1 thing more, I am not having cramps in my legs. Can I avoid magnesium supplement.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Typically it should look like this:
    - Protein is a goal to hit
    - Carbs are a ceiling to stay under
    - Fat is to satiety

You'll be just fine if you're getting the minimum daily protein needs for your body. Remember that protein is important to preserve lean mass, so you do want to be eating it.

I recommend supplementing with sodium, potassium and mag as a preventative. I didn't get muscle cramps until nearly 6 weeks in, but then it took weeks to get rid of them after I started supplementing.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you are doing great. 3kg in 20 days with no leg cramps! If you're losing weight, not extremely under on your calories and not fearing nutritional deficiencies you can "tweak" things later.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Personally, I prefer to avoid supplements if possible. One way to avoid this for magnesium is by eating spinach. Very low net carbs and just one cup has 157 mg. Having a salad with at least 4 cups of spinach, loads of grilled chicken and a couple hard boiled eggs is a regular meal for me. Spinach as almost no net carbs, so it doesn't hurt you there either (4 cups = 3 carbs, 2 fiber, 1 net).
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I've been with this WOE for almost 4 months now and just started with the leg cramps :( I bought some magnesium citrate 200 mg and took 3 yesterday and no leg cramps today :)
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Typically it should look like this:
    - Protein is a goal to hit
    - Carbs are a ceiling to stay under
    - Fat is to satiety

You'll be just fine if you're getting the minimum daily protein needs for your body. Remember that protein is important to preserve lean mass, so you do want to be eating it.

I recommend supplementing with sodium, potassium and mag as a preventative. I didn't get muscle cramps until nearly 6 weeks in, but then it took weeks to get rid of them after I started supplementing.

This exactly
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Personally, I prefer to avoid supplements if possible. One way to avoid this for magnesium is by eating spinach. Very low net carbs and just one cup has 157 mg. Having a salad with at least 4 cups of spinach, loads of grilled chicken and a couple hard boiled eggs is a regular meal for me. Spinach as almost no net carbs, so it doesn't hurt you there either (4 cups = 3 carbs, 2 fiber, 1 net).

The usda site shows 1 cup (30g) of raw spinach has 24 mg of magnesium. It has 167 mg of potassium.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

The usda site shows 1 cup (30g) of raw spinach has 24 mg of magnesium. It has 167 mg of potassium.

This is true of raw. Wilted and/or boiled spinach is much more compressed (1 cup is closer to 180g), and the cooking process appears to have minimal to no effect on the micronutrient content. I suspect that may be what was being looked at.
  • auntstephie321
    Options

This is true of raw. Wilted and/or boiled spinach is much more compressed (1 cup is closer to 180g), and the cooking process appears to have minimal to no effect on the micronutrient content. I suspect that may be what was being looked at.

I assume as a salad it would be raw. Cooked 180 g would be 157mg so that must be what was looked at. Gotta be careful with that database, that's a huge difference, and a lot more spinach lol
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited August 2016
    Options

I assume as a salad it would be raw. Cooked 180 g would be 157mg so that must be what was looked at. Gotta be careful with that database, that's a huge difference, and a lot more spinach lol

Yeah, I would have come to the same conclusion for a salad, but I very specifically looked up boiled spinach the other day, because I was trying to figure out a lower volume way to cram magnesium into me without resorting to supps (because magnesium supps are notable for being garbage quality). As such, I remembered the numbers.
  • auntstephie321
    Options

Yeah, I would have come to the same conclusion for a salad, but I very specifically looked up boiled spinach the other day, because I was trying to figure out a lower volume way to cram magnesium into me without resorting to supps (because magnesium supps are notable for being garbage quality). As such, I remembered the numbers.

I don't think I could eat that much spinach every day lol. Though I guess it might be more bioavailable than a supp possibly requiring less.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

I don't think I could eat that much spinach every day lol. Though I guess it might be more bioavailable than a supp possibly requiring less.

It sounds like a lot, but really, a single can of boiled whole leaf spinach is pretty easy to put away in a single sitting, and is usually about 340-360g, drained.
  • auntstephie321
    Options

It sounds like a lot, but really, a single can of boiled whole leaf spinach is pretty easy to put away in a single sitting, and is usually about 340-360g, drained.

Yeah I don't think I could do it, I like spinach but only raw or stuffed in something with goat cheese
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Yeah I don't think I could do it, I like spinach but only raw or stuffed in something with goat cheese

I do that quite often with six egg omelettes, though I add feta or Queso Fresco with the goat cheese.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Supplementing is actually a very good idea even if you do eat bucket of spinach a day. Soils are depleted and I've read that our veggies don't actually contain all the magnesium the USDA lists for them because of this.
    Even if they do have that much, your body can use much more than you realize. Getting "enough" might be ok but you can supply even more for the over 300 processes the body uses magnesium for every single day.
    I prefer to supply the maximum my body can use on a daily basis. It's easy to do and cheap, so why not?
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Labdoor.com rates magnesium supplements, for those of you contemplating a purchase.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Supplementing is actually a very good idea even if you do eat bucket of spinach a day. Soils are depleted and I've read that our veggies don't actually contain all the magnesium the USDA lists for them because of this.
    Even if they do have that much, your body can use much more than you realize. Getting "enough" might be ok but you can supply even more for the over 300 processes the body uses magnesium for every single day.
    I prefer to supply the maximum my body can use on a daily basis. It's easy to do and cheap, so why not?

Spinach is one of the few that apparently hasn't deteriorated as much, though yeah, most sources have gone to hell. It has still lost some steps in the last forty years, but unfortunately, it's still the best per serving that we're going to get from a whole food source.