Donated blood today

Options
cimarrona27
cimarrona27 Posts: 97 Member
I just got back and I am so glad a got a partial workout before I went. :)

I'm doing ok, but every "snack" item they had was just carb cakes and bags of sugar. At least that's what they look like through my eyes. Lol.

Going to eat some cheese and lounge on the couch for awhile.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I donated plasma a few months ago and was wiped out for like 24 full hours! Absolutely exhausted!
    I actually think they took too much. If I do it again I'm going to make sure it's less.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    I donated plasma a few months ago and was wiped out for like 24 full hours! Absolutely exhausted!
    I actually think they took too much. If I do it again I'm going to make sure it's less.
    But yeah, the provided snacks are all sugar.
    I took a bag of pork rinds. Lol
    They say be sure to breakfast and don't eat much fat because you won't be able to donate if your test shows high fat in your blood. Lol
    I guess bulletproof coffee didn't set off their fat alerts! Lol
    Or maybe eating fat doesn't automatically turn your blood gelatinous!
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I used to donate blood every chance I got but after Anna was born I became anemic and unless I eat a raw steak just before they check my iron levels, I can't donate any longer.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I donate all the time, and never have any adverse effects. I also eat tons of high fat stuff, usually shortly before donating, and they've never had an issue with it. I average 200g of fat most days, and they've never even said anything. My blood cholesterol always comes back normal, too, even though I am not in a fasted state.

I just take the water they offer. I never take any snacks. Well, I took one once, but I just carried it out and didn't eat it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    I used to donate blood every chance I got but after Anna was born I became anemic and unless I eat a raw steak just before they check my iron levels, I can't donate any longer.

Low stomach acid causes is to not be able to break down and absorb iron. I'm looking forward to my next tests in October to prove this theory out. No dietary changes or supplement changes that affect iron. Just ACV and enzymes. I want to see the effects on my iron intake!!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    They say be sure to breakfast and don't eat much fat because you won't be able to donate if your test shows high fat in your blood. Lol

lol, yeah, the plasma people would have hated me if they'd known what I eat. They love me, though. :)

Last time I donated whole blood, I just took the water and maybe the Crystal Light. Not perfect, but better than the cookies and everything else. I just do plasma now, though, and don't worry about anything except maybe water (since they give you all the good blood stuff back). They don't harass me like the Red Cross does, and I get paid for my time. Besides, I'm AB+, so it's the plasma they want more than anything.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    The only thing the place I go to donate blood offers that's even close to being LCHF friendly are individual bags of peanuts. The rest is all carbage...cookies, trail mix with raisins and M&M in it, chips, couple different kind of fruit juices...I usually just stick with water and peanuts.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

lol, yeah, the plasma people would have hated me if they'd known what I eat. They love me, though. :)

Last time I donated whole blood, I just took the water and maybe the Crystal Light. Not perfect, but better than the cookies and everything else. I just do plasma now, though, and don't worry about anything except maybe water (since they give you all the good blood stuff back). They don't harass me like the Red Cross does, and I get paid for my time. Besides, I'm AB+, so it's the plasma they want more than anything.

I would like to go weekly for some extra cash but I haven't gone back because of how tired I was. I really drank a lot of water that day and was on top of all electrolytes and I ate as much as I wanted trying to feel better, but it sucked!
    One person originally showed me how much they would take based on my weight, but when it was done, the jar was 3/4 full. 1/4 more than what the first person said. There were huge men across from me giving the same amount. People that had 100 pounds on me! I really think they made a mistake so it's made me weary. Maybe my test in the beginning showed the goldmine of ketones I carried and they got greedy?!?! Lol
  • Lone_wolf46
    Lone_wolf46 Posts: 2,711 Member
    Options
    I've been trying for years. They think I may have contracted mad cow. 20 yrs ago.....
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I remember going with my dad when I was a kid. I grew up in a small town and went to school in a slightly larger small town where he was a teacher, when the Red Cross came out to collect blood in the larger town, he would stop and donate on the way home. Usually I was riding home with him, so I got to hang out and wait. It was always in the fellowship hall at a church, and they would have cookies, sandwiches, punch. Yes, everything heavy carb / sugar.

Personally, I can't donate blood. I would if I could, but there is a rule that since I've taken beef insulin (yes, I've been a type 1 for that long), I'm banned for life because I could have vCJD.

ETA - Fun fact: The Red Cross was founded on this day (8/22) in 1864 at the Geneva Convention for the Amelioration of the Condition of the Wounded and Sick in Armies in the Field. The Red Cross symbol was created for the nationality of Jean Henri Dunant, who was Swiss and the primary advocate of such an organization. So they took the Swiss flag (white cross on red background) and swapped the colors.