What do you eat while keto camping?

anewlifeat40
anewlifeat40 Posts: 179 Member
I'm going camping this coming weekend... We're going to do burgers in a pan for dinner on our little camping stove both nights... It's supposed to be really hot too, and there's a fire ban so no campfires. :(

When I'm at home I do a lot of stir fry and salad for lunches... We'll have a small cooler... I'll bring nuts and moon cheese to snack on... I have some Lily's chocolate... The guys are doing sub sandwiches for lunch... I guess I could do lettuce wraps... Hmmmm... Any other ingenious ideas?

Breakfast I was thinking maybe hard boiling some eggs and bringing bacon and cheese to have with them... The hubs will be doing bagel breakfast sandwiches for himself... the kiddo rarely wants breakfast and if he does it will probably be toast with honey or jam. Needs to be simple and cheap (we're kinda broke at the moment). What do you like to eat when you're camping?

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Hot dogs
  • moonlights
    moonlights Posts: 141 Member
    How about salami and cheese / turkey and cheese roll ups for lunch? The guys can have the same filling in their subs and you can add a pickle and maybe make some flax crackers or coconut flour muffins to have with it to fill you up? I'd recommend a low carb baked item like a muffin even if you don't usually have them because I always feel hungrier doing outside activities and it feels like something substantial to eat.

You could also make coconut flour pancakes in advance and heat them in the bacon fat to have with breakfast.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    How long are you going for?

As mentioned above, hot dogs are really good.

You could also bring canned tuna to get some more protein in. Maybe if you can get away with bringing some mayo, you can add it to the canned tuna and add in a hard boiled egg.

Your Ryvita crackers that you usually have (Instagram stalker lol) would hold up and you can have them with cheese and salami.
  • anewlifeat40
    edited August 2016
    Hot dogs are a no-go for me with the campfire ban... I like the idea of some meat roll ups though. I could put cream cheese and pickles in them, maybe some bacon...

That's funny @samanthaluangphixay about instagram stalking! LOL I try not to eat ryvita most days, when I do it's usually because I've had an extra low carb day and can fit them in my macros... Good idea to throw some in... We're going up to a campground on a lake on Van Isle on Saturday night after work, and staying till Monday night (paid for overnight but have to work Tuesday so will be coming home that night). Basically it will be two of each meal... we'll probably stop and get take out on the way up as we'll be getting there late...
  • sammyliftsandeats
    Ugh, stupid campfire ban!

That's the thing that always bugged me about camping in BC.

Well, depending on how big your cooler is, you can always precook some meats at home and use them over veggies or salad as well.
  • CeliaSea
    CeliaSea Posts: 51 Member
    The campfire ban is a bummer. I have a GoSun and its AWESOME.
    I know it doesn't help you out right now, but it's incredibly versatile, so I figured I'd give it a plug: https://www.gosunstove.com/

If I was in your situation right now, I'd cook some chicken in advance and bring cheese, hard boiled eggs, nuts/pumpkin seeds, and maybe some cold cuts. The tuna is a great idea. I also like beef jerky when I'm camping. What region are you based in? If I camp around here (the South) in August I hardly eat anything...too hot. If I camp in New England in October, I eat myself silly.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Sausages, smokies, steak, fish, hotdogs (just grill'em), cheese slices, raw veggies with cheese or sour cream dip, pork rinds, eggs and bacon, trail mix (without dried fruit), BPC, pepperoni sticks, meat chilli, avocado and salad.

I'm a lazy ccok. I eat almost the same camping as I do at home. LOL

Have fun! I spent a while camping near Slocan lake last year. Beautiful spot... what I could see through the smoke anyways. LOL
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    :( camp fire ban makes me sad
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    When we camped last year the ban was on too. My kids roasted marshmallows over the stove and finished them off over candles. LOL
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    You can pan fry hot dogs in your little camping stove, same way you're doing your burgers. I've done that when camping if I didn't have the patience for charcoal to heat up in the bbq.
  • anewlifeat40
    :( camp fire ban makes me sad
    Me too... But forest fires make me sadder so I'll deal...
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,574 Member
    On our last camping trip (also no open fires allowed), we cooked some meals on the camp stove and others on a small charcoal grill (which was allowed). We grilled brats, steak, burgers, chicken and on the last night we bought local clams. Steamed them on the camp stove and served with melted butter. Fried eggs with bacon or sausage each morning, nuts and veggies & dip for lunch. Pork rinds or pickles made for a nice crunchy snack after dinner.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    On our last camping trip (also no open fires allowed), we cooked some meals on the camp stove and others on a small charcoal grill (which was allowed). We grilled brats, steak, burgers, chicken and on the last night we bought local clams. Steamed them on the camp stove and served with melted butter. Fried eggs with bacon or sausage each morning, nuts and veggies & dip for lunch. Pork rinds or pickles made for a nice crunchy snack after dinner.

Commence drooling on the train...

• anewlifeat40

Can I go camping with you??! We always keep it super simple and inexpensive...

• silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    I eat basically the same things camping as at home. Breakfast is bacon or sausage and eggs, or keto waffles/pancakes. Lunch is often lunch meat and cheese. Dinner is sauteed chicken, burger patties, steak, keto BBQ, etc. No need to eat different, you just need to learn how to cook without a full kitchen.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    I pre-make cold brew coffee (or regular coffee that's been chilled) in mason jars for breakfast, since that's what I normally do, anyway.

Hot dogs are generally already cooked (store bought ones, anyway), so you could eat them cold. Lunch meat, nuts, cheeses to snack on. I just eat them straight. Pre-cook bacon, too.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    One of my go-to backpacking meals was tuna salad-- a packet of tuna, a packet of mayo (ask for extra at a restaurant, or look at gas stations), and some celery seed/ seasoning. Mix it all up in the tuna pouch. The mayo packets are shelf-stable, no need to refridgerate.

Brats are a nice alternative to hot dogs. No bun needed.
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    We do eggs in the pan on the stove, tuna, saussage, chicken, we do veggie packets on grill but you could stir fry them. I would wash and cut veggies and tou just have to heat pan and dump in