Almond Flour for Fathead pizza (UK)

Options
welsh_cake
welsh_cake Posts: 18 Member
The kids have asked for a pizza night tomorrow, so I am looking to make a fathead pizza.

The lady in the supermarket looked at me daft when I asked for Almond Flour. Is this known as something else in the UK, and is it easy to come by?

Thanks

Replies

• welsh_cake
    Options
    And if anyone knows what the UK equivalent to Heavy Whipping Cream is, I'd appreciate that info also.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    See if almond meal is more familiar to them. And I think your cream is called double cream.

Though, it's likely they just don't have the almond flour at that store. I would have to go to a certain store near me if I were to buy it. It's not a typical item. Definitely a specialty item. Because if that, it could also be there but the associate has just never heard of it before.
    Try looking in the gluten free section if it's not by regular flour.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    You are looking for almond flour or ground almonds. Amazon, Holland and Barret etc usually stocks it, or you can ground almonds at home and make it yourself.

Double cream is your second item.
  • welsh_cake
    Options
    Thank you both x
  • freckles2002
    freckles2002 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You can buy almond flour in Holland and Barrett. Also on Amazon. Hope this helps!.
  • mellb34
    mellb34 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I bought ground almonds from asda in the baking aisle.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    Is ground almonds different from almond flour? I used ground almonds once in a cake mixture and is came out stodgy, I didn't know if it was the incorrect substitute.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I think almond flour and almond meal are interchangeable--most recipes I've seen call for either/or.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    Is ground almonds different from almond flour? I used ground almonds once in a cake mixture and is came out stodgy, I didn't know if it was the incorrect substitute.

It's all made from basically smashing up almonds to different consistencies.
    Almond flour would be finer, almond meal will be more coarse.