note to self stay off scale

Options
tifnicole16
tifnicole16 Posts: 11 Member
so i been doing really well and last week weight lost really motivated me so i decide today to weigh myself to see where i was in meeting this week goal and the scale said that i gain weight :(. i hate that I'm not going to let that mess me up. but i know that tonight and tomorrow i will be going harder in the gym and cutting all carbs

Replies

• Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I always wonder how people do that . . . so I challenged myself to not weigh for 2 weeks! Now granted I weigh everyday and for the most part I don't really pay much attention to my weight but I do note that maybe today (depending on my weight) should be a careful day or at least a day to meet my macros. During my 2 weeks of no weighing I went about as usual and on weigh day I weighed in at 167.6 up from 163.4 this also happened to be the 1st day of that TOM . . . I looked at the scale not really noting that TOM and to keep from freaking out just walked away. I only say all that because for me weighing everyday allows me to know my fluctuations if I choose a certain day to weigh like tomorrow after eating a chicken - bacon sandwich with chips (way too much salt for me) and the Italian sausage I would not be happy with the results, plus it would not really give me a basis to judge my weight by.

It is also important to take photos and measurements all these together with the scale can help you manage things better and not have those highs and lows when just using the scale. I won't comment on the 'cutting all carbs' ;)
  • Stacie215
    Stacie215 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Stay off the scale, gurlllllllll it will have you all messed up. Once a month or every other week.
  • bluecrush84
    bluecrush84 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The scale can be very discouraging. Foods eaten can increase water retention, time of day, monthly cycle, etc. Get yourself measuring tape (0.99cents)to get a more accurate view of your weight loss. Counting inches lost is a great way to monitor your progress. Or getting a smaller size pair of jeans and working towards fitting into them.

Also taking body progression photos every month.

I do mine on the first of every month. When you get discouraged you can look at your progress over the months. I have a folder on my computer with sections labeled by month. I take front, back, side, and a position me flexing. I do my measurements, photos, and weight on this same day. I use MyNetDiary app to track my progress on every measurement by a graph. You really see your progress in different ways and it helps to reaffirm your hard work. The scale can really deflate your motivation at times. So it is important to have alternatives.

I have been on this journey since May...I was shocked at how much my body has changed since then. Back then, I did not realize how big I was O.o .

Hang in there, you are on the right track.

p.s. I don't know if it is a good idea to cut carbs/punish yourself for the scale. Focus on your portion control or calorie counting (if that is what you do). Slow and steady wins the race is a concept that took me so long to get. Weight loss should not feel like a grueling task. If you feel like kicking up your workout great, if you want to eat healthier great. Just be kind to yourself.