Any tips for overcoming Emotional Eating

Options
Smilely3
Smilely3 Posts: 21 Member
I have been trying to lose weight for a while. I started weight training gained 5 pounds and became stressed. I'm stressed about my regime daily things and even food diary. My food diary says I should be losing still working out but not losing. I have readjusted my weight loss to 10%.
Does anyone have any tips on overcoming Emotional eating and getting weight off?

Replies

• Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I tend to stress/emotional eat as well. In the beginning I would really try and reflect on why I choose to eat what I did in the amount that I did - logging the truth helped! Seeing those numbers really helped me to see how destructive it was to not only my goal but my health. Once I figured out some of my triggers I started by planning my treats (I tend to emotional eat sweets) having it to look forward to meant I also had control over having it or not as well as the amount. I also upped the quality no supermarket candy, this also meant some planning. Also with snacks I would tell myself I could have it for example in 15 minutes or after doing some small task sorting junk mail or organizing a shelf - anything. Water is another thing, drinking 2 cups of water first, it takes some imagination playing tricks on your mind to find things that work. But it can be done, right now I am going some things and I am fighting going to get a box of Sees candy and diving in even knowing how bad I would feel later so I'm going to put on some cute workout clothes and work it out! Stay Strong and take it one meal at a time!
  • BreonnaQueen
    BreonnaQueen Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am also an emotional eater. One thing I have to constantly remind myself is that food is not a reward or filler. I don't deserve a slice of pizza because I had a bad day. The pizza will only momentarily make me happy yet frustrated me even longer (omg... i cant believe i ate that entire pizza. I'll NEVER lose weight. *cue the sad music*).

I've learned to replace emotional eating with enjoyable activities. Instead of grabbing ice-cream, I go for a walk while listening to an audio book. Instead of eating that bag of chips, I'll walk around target and look at all the "skinny" clothes I aspire to wear some day. I personally like walks and window shopping so replacing my triggers with things I enjoy helped me a lot. Good luck hun! Stay strong!